It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peace Sells But Who's Buying?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As insanity thrives day after day, and we all think the world is ending... for one reason or another...

Perhaps we need a reminder that Times are ALWAYS changing - and things that are true NOW have always been - just recycled and repackaged for the next generation.

I only ask that songs shared here are at least 20 years old, that you please include the year and limit it to one key lyric. That way, those who don't plan to listen to the song, can grasp the overall concept. If you find it difficult to choose one lyric, link to the lyrics as I have ♥

For more "contemporary" anti-government music, AeonStorm has an amazing thread here. I don't want to limit this thread to "war" and "government", they just happen to be the easiest to find.

1989 - Billy Joel: We Didn't Start The Fire

It was impossible for me to choose one lyric, but its a pertinent song that sums up the entire topic of this thread. I recommend you read the lyrics at lyricsfreak (external link).

1986 - Megadeth: Peace Sells (But who's buying?)

If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line - but it better work this time

1988 - Living Colour: Cult Of Personality

I exploit you, still you love me - I tell you 1 and 1 makes 3

1976 - Sex Pistols: Anarchy in the UK

just another country, another council tenancy

1970 - Black Sabbath: War Pigs

Politicians hide themselves away, they only started the war - why should they go out to fight? they leave that role to the poor

1962 - Byrds: Turn, Turn, Turn*

to everything *, there is a season *, and a time to every purpose, under heaven

Just a start. More to come. ♥

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Peace is selling when you see little Hippy Dolls in the kids section of Walmart.

Peace is a frame of mind only young people embrace.

The older you get ...the more you come to accept war as a given.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

you should put that to music

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

S & F. And you know....I think it is not so much that old people come to accept war, it is more they don't understand it, can't stop it and regret it ever happens and if they could change things right now they certainly would...

But they are tired and have fought so long. Maybe someone younger has the solution.
I am old and almost out of here anyway. Let them, that have to live in the world ...care.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Donovan's , Universal Soldier,

The most telling of all.

“He is the one who gives his body as a weapon of the war, and without him this killing can’t go on”

edit on 9-8-2011 by brokedown because: thinking donovan and typed dylan - getting old i suppose

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
Donovan's , Universal Soldier,

The most telling of all.

“He is the one who gives his body as a weapon of the war, and without him this killing can’t go on”

Great song! ♥

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
1973 - Stevie Wonder: Superstition

When you believe in things, that you don't understand, then you suffer..

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
A little obvious, but you all should know the words (well, most of them)...John Lennon 1969

edit on 8/9/11 by HenryTwoTimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
1980-

"Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight "

edit on 8/9/11 by HenryTwoTimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

And we will al go down together

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by HenryTwoTimes

You win the "coo coo ca choo" award! I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to mention Lennon

1968 - Beatles: Revolution

we all wanna change the world

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Ill Bill - not quite in my time frame, looks like 2003 - but I LOVE IT!!!! Totally worthy

Billy Joel - Goodnight Saigon (1982) is always awesome ♥ such a powerful arrangement

he might need his own thread...another one from 1982

For the promises our teachers gave if we worked hard, if we behaved
So the graduations hang on the wall but they never really helped us at all

And while we're on the subject of misinterpreted songs
1984 - Bruce Springsteen: Born in the U.S.A.

That whole album was great.

The song was in part a tribute to Springsteen's friends who had experienced the Vietnam War, some of whom did not come back; it also protests the hardships Vietnam veterans faced upon their return from the war.
wiki

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
1990 - Poison: Something To Believe In

I drive by the homeless sleeping on a cold dark street, like bodies in an open grave - underneath the broken old neon sign - that used to read "Jesus Saves"

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I know a Johnny Two Times. I wonder if he and Henry are related?

Great videos anyway! I enjoyed them all! All we need is love.

Well more accurately.... PEACE, LOVE and UNDERSTANDING?

Why is it PEACE & LOVE is really only popular in songs and in our music?
As a real life model for behavior, we seems to lose interest in keeping any kind of peace very long.
It is either too "quaint and old" or too "new and revolutionary" an idea.
We don't teach conflict resolution or even practice peaceful solutions...Wonder why that is?
edit on 9-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
OMG, That song by Megadeth is 20 years old??
*pouts*
Great song, btw. Interesting topic. Of course the first song that comes to mind is "Killing in the Name Of" by rage against the machine. But if it must be over 20, then...

I will go with Civil War by Guns N Roses. Now I just made a lot of people feel old.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Ministry: New World Order
1989 - 91 ish.

"I'll buy the torture 'cos you pay for the rent"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
I only ask that songs shared here are at least 20 years old, that you please include the year and limit it to one key lyric. That way, those who don't plan to listen to the song, can grasp the overall concept. If you find it difficult to choose one lyric, link to the lyrics as I have ♥

ONE?!?!
You know I can't do that.

So I shall apologize ahead of time. I will narrow it down (minimize it a bit).
I have also found a loophole, that will be explained further down.

Jane's Addiction, also known as Triple-X or XXX by fans, is the debut album by the band Jane's Addiction. It was recorded live at the Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles on January 26, 1987

[color=3BB9FF]~'1%'~

All the people i know, wanna be left alone. Some people! i don't know..they won't leave you alone..... You gotta be just - be just like them.....[color=CFECEC]The biggest gang i know they call the government... And a gang is a weapon, that you trade your mind in for.....you gotta be just - be just like them......

[color=CFECEC]the gang and the government, are no different.. the gang and the government, are no different
that makes me 1%....that makes me 1%

Now here is my loophole. These are 3 different songs, that were recorded live, and are on this same album. However, these 2 songs are actually cover songs, that many will already know the lyrics to. So I will add no lyrcis for these.

[color=3BB9FF]~'Sympathy'~

This is a shortened title.The original title of this song, would be 'Sympathy For The Devil." It was written by an unknown band, that calls themselves the 'Rolling Stones.'

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af74a98fffdf.jpg[/atsimg]

[color=3BB9FF]~'Rock And Roll~'

This song is another that was written by an unknown musician, that goes by the name Lou Reed.

edit on 8/10/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Thank you BC!!! Now I have new Jane's Addiction songs

I only ever knew the one - but I love it
I failed to look up the year but I know it was HUGE in my circle around 1991
Also if you take it literally it doesn't quite fit here

but take it metaphorically and it absolutely fits the present day mentality of entitlement

HHCore!! I love Ministry - I could probably list half a dozen videos for just them (some literal, some metaphorical) so I'll refrain - but now you got me in a metal mood again

I have also refrained from posting any Marilyn Manson - all of his music has a great message, and he deserves his own thread. A lot of it doesn't quite fit into my time frame either, but this one was a remake, so it totally fits!

1989 - Depeche Mode: Personal Jesus

Another one thats impossible to limit to one lyric so I won't even try.
I will say the song, to me, always seemed to be about people's gullibility, the way they grasp onto someone or something for no other reason than it makes them feel better. Doesn't matter to them if its true or not, good or bad, theory or fact.... what matters is what they get out of it. If you can't handle that then its a love song

edit on 11-8-2011 by Forevever because: moved to double post with intent

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I want this to have its own thread
Prophecy in Music
edit on 11-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join