It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Coma Diameter Exceeds 200,000 km says Leonid Elenin

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ChachiArcola

How do you associate this comet any differently than say Hartley? It's coming? Now If it is based on a Mayan /Hopi/whomever prophecy, I may see your point. Then this belongs in a different forum. So we get a meteor shower?
If it is the beginning of those prophecies, so be it, we can not change it.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstroBuzz
Comet McNaught in 2007 was bigger and had a closer approach to Earth then Elenin will.

Nothing to worry about.

intresting you say this if you go back and look 2007 was the worst year for huge eq in many ages

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I don't know what to say or what to do........oh well if we're going, we're going. I don't know where this is going, oh well.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
In order to see X1 real size need to do the same with P-17...special filters,cameras,etc...
===================================================
www.physorg.com...

"...Astronomers from the University of California, Los Angeles and the University of Hawaii have discovered multiple fragments ejected during the largest cometary outburst ever witnessed. Images and animations showing fragments rapidly flying away from the nucleus of comet 17P/Holmes will be presented by Rachel Stevenson at the European Planetary Science Congress in Potsdam, Germany, on Wednesday 16 September.

Stevenson, together with colleagues Jan Kleyna and David Jewitt, began observing comet Holmes in October 2007 soon after it was reported that the small (3.6 km wide) body had brightened by a million times in less than a day. They continued observing for several weeks after the outburst using the Canada- France- Hawaii Telescope in Hawaii and watched as the dust cloud ejected by the comet grew to be larger than the Sun.

The astronomers examined a sequence of images taken over nine nights in November 2007 using a digital filter that enhances sharp discontinuities within images. The filter, called a Laplacian filter, is particularly good at picking out faint small-scale features that would otherwise remain undetected against the bright background of the expanding comet. They found numerous small objects that moved radially away from the nucleus at speeds up to 125 metres per second (280 mph). These objects were too bright to simply be bare rocks, but instead were more like mini-comets creating their own dust clouds as the ice sublimated from their surfaces...."
homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk...
================
This object might be bigger...we need those filters above, and get the real (inner) images.
What If it comes back Red?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 4-8-2011 by Vetfather because: (no reason given)

Posting video links - ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ
* Link
* Description
* Review/Opinion

edit on 6/8/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Just a quick question. Does the comet Elenin have any correlation with the constellation of Leo?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Have there been any other frozen water comets with outer coma this large. Wouldn't the coma also be composed of water vapor. Is it possible that when this comet passes at its closest point the earths gravity field will gravitationally catch some of this water? Could this extra water cause temporary flooding? Isn't it also true that water vapor in the upper atmosphere can drastically decrease O3 (ozone) causing more damaging radiation to reach the earth surface.

I don't think we have to worry about a collision at all but if there hasn't been a primarily ice comet to pass this close to earth in recent history, wouldn't it be possible that this could cause ozone depletion and possibly hazardous rain storms or flooding.

Please let me know what the last predominantly ice comet to pass earth very closely was, it would really clear this possibility up.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

thats the kicker,, last time around was up too 11 million years ago,, nobody,, knows,, cant figure out what happened if the period is so long, but if we had a shorter time period,, well it wouldnt matter anyway,, cause there is no historical record too puruse,,
thats the kicker
it aint anyones fault,, they just dont have the data to be able too tell yet,, and it due in Oct/Nov,, so 2 months time they might be able too figure its orbit,, as it leaves
,,gee i hope someone is keeping the stats for future generations,, but a million years is too long ,, so # the data

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I just cannot get over the name of this guy. Leonid Elenin.

Leonid is a popular enough russian boys name.

But Elenin???? Check many sites trying to get info on the Elenin name and nothing comes up. Any Russians on ATS know how popular this name is?

I have seen a few interviews mention that how can people question the 'Elenin' name when Russian billionaire has the same name. This is russian billionaire Boris Berezovsky who was I believe some people think was a suspect in Alexander Litvinenko death. Berezovsky changed his name to Platon Elenin in 2007 when he fled to the Uk. Its believed he did this as a nod to his heros Plato and Lenin. He actually made this whole name up. SO how can they point to this as another example of the Elenin name ????Seriously. (i mean like this billionaire didn't know about elenin comet in 2007? he didn't buy a bunker in the Uk did he?)

history of this guy is intersting en.wikipedia.org...

The famous page where we were introduced to Leo or originally directed to was here; iasc.hsutx.edu...

Their actaul hompage is ; iasc.hsutx.edu...

Its The International Astronomical Search Collaboration (IASC) and they make a point of telling us its IASC (pronounced “Isaac”)

This would be like Isaac , whom Abraham was willing to Sacrifice because God asked him to.

So anyway show me some can anyone check how many Elenins are in the Russin phone directory? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

In the US alone, there are at least 6 people with the last name Elenin: White Pages
A person on another site claims to have found 40 people in the US with the surname.

Russia isn't exactly forthcoming about the etymology of many of their surnames.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

So anyway show me some can anyone check how many Elenins are in the Russin phone directory?

There are sixty Elenins listed in Moscow alone:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b76438a5a9bf.jpg[/atsimg]

interweb.spb.ru...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Upon these types of matters
all I can say is...what will be, will be...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

thanks. well then at least the surname is in existance. thats something. It looks like a fairly rare name though. 60 listings in a population of over 10million.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

"Einstein" wasn't very common either. Nor was "Hitler". Not everyone can have a popular surname. In fact, John Smith would probably have preferred a less common name. Which John Smith you ask? Well, that's my point exactly.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

We are stumbled on the same awesome article and same thread, my friend.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
S&F!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

When you use the search function and you type 'elenin 200000' you get 2 threads. Had you done that prior to yours you would have seen only one.

Hope this helps

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Arken, watch this:

ELENIN NASA'S ridiculous statements John Gorman

NASA = Never A Straight Answer

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Comet Elenin is being pushed to earth by an Alien spacecraft.Oct. 19 will be a bad day for the earth ,for everyone. The electromagnetic shock wave will be at least 1000ft high traveling throughout earth. Only survivors will be the Underground elite with the lead helmets ! Text RedSTART PREPARING NOW !!!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

ELENIN NASA'S ridiculous statements John Gorman

John Gorman seems to have a poor grasp of how astronomy on the one hand and NASA on the other, actually work.

All of the observations listed are those registered by the IAU clearing house. They were taken by both professionals and amateurs, few, if any, of them in any way associated with NASA. These are people like Leonid Elenin and his buddies, who have a personal interest in the comet, as well as the usual die hard comet fans.Morrison's statement is simply correct, there is a lot of "buzz" around Elenin because of the internet.

It is not NASA's business to look for or track comets; this is largely in the realm of the amateur now. They do sometimes observe a comet if it passes within range of their instruments, and of course they've sent missions to comets as part of their planetary exploration program, but as far as NASA is concerned, Elenin is just a fly in the Taj Mahal.

Morrison is perfectly correct in describing his response to the internet fear campaign: there were indeed mass suicides caused by Hale-Bopp and it is only due diligence for NASA to try to contain the whacko effect. Gorman, however, will have blood on his hands for egging them on.

In order for Comet Elenin to "eclipse" the Sun it would need to have the same angular diameter as the Sun as seen from Earth. It is less than five kilometers across, so if it does pass directly between the Earth and the Sun, the event would be called a "transit." Look it up.

As for the size being "unknown," that is correct. No reliable direct measurement has been taken of the nucleus because it is too small. It is therefore less than five kilometers across.

The main reason no NASA telescope has observed it may or may not have anything to do with night and day at the South Pole... there would simply be no point looking for it; what observing time all of the telescopes have is better used for something else.

As for the dearth of information in the news media... let's see... debt crisis, Euro-zone defaults, civil war in Libya and Syria, growing anarchy in Yemen and Pakistan, famine in Africa...stop press! there's a five kilometer comet that no-one can see without a telescope coming! Put that on the front page!

edit on 5-8-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2011 by DJW001 because: Edit to amend style.

edit on 5-8-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join