It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Coma Diameter Exceeds 200,000 km says Leonid Elenin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Elenin Coma Diameter Exceeds 200,000 km says Leonid Elenin

spaceobs.org

So, the first results. The comet has grown. Now the diameter of it’s outer coma exceeded 200,000 km! Of course, at this time we have only low resolution images, but they still allow us to estimateits current size. I want to remind you that the outer coma, it’s very discharged gas envelope, not the nucleus itself, estimates of the nucleus size has not changed. On the left picture you can see the comet itself, as well as the angular size of the Sun, if it was located at the same distance as comet. Impressive?
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-8-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Leonid says nucleus is still probably 3-4 km, but how this can be possible?

I've tried to remain skeptical and not get too worried, but things seem to be picking up.

Apparently it's larger than Jupiter and as it passes the asteroid belt the coma will grow! The diameter of jupiter is 143,000 km.

Any thoughts?

spaceobs.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-8-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I have come here to see if I can pick your brains..... I have been reearching the Comet Elenin and the twin sun behind it approaching earth... Nasa are saying it is only 4km accross... it is not... it is at least 80km in diameter and growing, it will be crosing our orbit oct and nov this year we will be in its tail.... some say it will cause a pole shift... from my research I am enclined to believe the same... Please could someone show me a map of the world 26,ooo years ago or something similar... I would like to know where the oceans are and how the land is situated... or can someone point me to a site where I could get this info...

many thanks

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Please read the whole Article:

I want to remind you that the outer coma, it’s very discharged gas envelope, not the nucleus itself, estimates of the nucleus size has not changed.

Source

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
Please read the whole Article:

I want to remind you that the outer coma, it’s very discharged gas envelope, not the nucleus itself, estimates of the nucleus size has not changed.

Source

please do more research... what you say about a comets coma is correct.. but it is a diversion

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

To note, the coma of Comet Hale-Bopp, in 1999, got to be about the size of the sun. The comas of comets are enormous...and, as such, Elenin's, being just a bit larger than Jupiter, is unimpressive.

And how would it not be possible for Elenin's nucleus to be 3-4 km in diameter?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by RUSSO

To note, the coma of Comet Hale-Bopp, in 1999, got to be about the size of the sun. The comas of comets are enormous...and, as such, Elenin's, being just a bit larger than Jupiter, is unimpressive.

And how would it not be possible for Elenin's nucleus to be 3-4 km in diameter?

it is possible for any comet core to be 3-4km... just not this one

this comet was seen and measured in the 50's ... so why do they claim it is out of view now when its much closer?

it was all over the science mags in the 50,s... check it out

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by today

You are too easily fooled by nefarious web sites. There is no twin sun approaching Earth. Elenin's coma size is increasing as all comets do when they come close to the Sun, it is the coma that is increasing not the nucleus. Earth will not cross through Elenin's tail nor will there be any pole shift. When you do your so called research on this you should be very skeptical of any information you come across.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by today

this comet was seen and measured in the 50's ... so why do they claim it is out of view now when its much closer?

I'll check it out if you provide me with some links. I don't have a library here of science magazines from the 50s.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
OOOOOOOOH i love a bit of fearmongering.....YAY to fearmongering

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by today

I'll check it out if you provide me with some links. I don't have a library here of science magazines from the 50s.

will do... give me a minute

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I know nothing about Elenin or astro anything to be able to give an informed or even intelligent sounding response but my issue is this, Why does almost everyone who comments on an Elenin thread sound reasonable and intelligent yet contradict or disprove every other person

SERIOUSLY WTF IS UP WITH THIS THING??????

Should I be worried? or is this just another Millennium Bug?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Comet McNaught in 2007 was bigger and had a closer approach to Earth then Elenin will.

Nothing to worry about.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
I know nothing about Elenin or astro anything to be able to give an informed or even intelligent sounding response but my issue is this, Why does almost everyone who comments on an Elenin thread sound reasonable and intelligent yet contradict or disprove every other person

Depends where you look....if you look at sites set up to fearmonger then you will read its on collision course, it will destroy us with its tail etc.

BUT if you look at the facts from reputable scientists they will show you there is NO danger as it will be something like 20,000,000km from us at its nearest point.

Its too small to effect the gravitational effects of the other planets, its made of ice.....and it passes nowhere near us.

Roll on October so we can lay this to rest!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Personally I am much more worried about the things that are going through the minds of the people who come up with these crazy scenarios than this comet. Our imaginations can be far more dangerous than this comet could ever be.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...=20

thats for starters but youtube is discredited.... am now trauling thru pages of 50's and 60's front covers to get the copy.... its going to be a long day... but If it is on line I will get it... for no other reason than to show you . I cant make you believe the truth but I can try and show you my word is good at least.....

link   
[color=gold]
Just be patient everyone

Be well

edit on 8/4/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

Don't Panic!

But wearing that Helmet is also okay

Remember: "You can't hide from your Destiny"

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Amazing how a 3-4 km nuclei can generate a 200,000, km coma
And its supposed to be a ice body

edit on 8/4/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by today

I'm not going to trust your word no matter what. I just want to see Elenin on the cover of a magazine from 60 years ago. If it exists, I'll go from there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join