It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the Empathy? Biden to Gabby Giffords: “Welcome to the Cracked Head Club”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Yes, Biden actually said that to the woman who was shot in the head. Just tack this on to Biden's ever growing list of verbal diarrhea that is accepted by the left without question or argument. I am just sick and tired of the this this childlike behavior coming from the left in recent days regarding any and all discussions related to the debt ceiling. Yes, the right has launched barbs as well but those barbs are quickly attacked by the MSM while crap like this from Biden et.al. get's a free pass.

Via Breitbart TV. Since we’re grooving on insane left-wing double standards today, here’s the second thing this guy has said in the past 24 hours that would have become a national media scandal had his party affiliation been different. And before one of our three lefty readers wonders — no, this isn’t a Fox scoop. Other reporters heard Biden say it, including one from the Boston Globe. Which raises the question, what’s the dumbest part of this? That he’d joke about a cracked skull with Gabby Giffords, who may very well prove to be permanently disabled from having “joined the club”? Or that he found it amusing enough to share the anecdote with reporters later on? Free advice for conservatives and independents: Do not attempt this “joke.” Not only is it tone-deaf and callous, but you won’t get graded on the curve afterward. (“Oh, that Joe!”)

hotair.com...

Not funny Joe!! The guy cracks himself up!! and NO! this isn't simple "misspeak".

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Stupid remark.

Couldn't help but notice you said "the left" as if that makes it worse somehow... wake up.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Sure Joe inserted his foot in his mouth again. What do you expect from that man?

Having said that however, why is it that everyone has this impression of Giffords as some fragile little flower who is ready to burst into tears at the slightest mention of her head wound or metaphors about someone holding "a gun to their head"?

For all we know, she may be a very strong person who has a good sense of humor about what happened to her. Maybe Biden knows her well enough to believe she would see the humor in his remarks without being offended.

Being able to find humor is tragedy , especially if it happened to you, is one of the best steps on the road to recovery anyone can make.

edit on 8/4/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Biden is doing a great job as Vice President, doing stupid crap to draw attention away from Obama.

What president would pick a running mate that would make him look stupid?

Obama should have picked an actual circus clown for the VP slot, it may have helped.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
Stupid remark.

Couldn't help but notice you said "the left" as if that makes it worse somehow... wake up.

Perhaps you are not aware of the liberal MSM double standard... wake up!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by jibeho

Sure Joe inserted his foot in his mouth again. What do you expect from that man?

Having said that however, why is it that everyone has this impression of Giffords as some fragile little flower who is ready to burst into tears at the slightest mention of her head wound or metaphors about someone holding "a gun to their head"?

For all we know, she may be a very strong person who has a good sense of humor about what happened to her. Maybe Biden knows her well enough to believe she would see the humor in his remarks without being offended.

Being able to find humor is tragedy , especially if it happened to you, is one of the best steps on the road to recovery anyone can make.

edit on 8/4/11 by FortAnthem because:

Yes, humor is valuable tool. Humor got me through a brain tumor, 4 surgeries and radiation. However, it is the context in this case. It was the actual shooting of Giffords that lead to the call to tone down the rhetoric in DC only to see it turned up to 11 by the same folks who wanted to end it. The debt limit con game brought out the worst of the worst and Biden for some reason just can't resist and get's a free pass in the process.

Biden could care less because he thinks he is held to a different standard. Remember his famous open mic "this is a big F-ing Deal" remark? The man has no class.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by jibeho

I agree with you 100%!

Being that Joe suffered an head injury himself and later had brain surgery, in my opinion, gives him some latitude to offer up such friendly jokes. Without knowing the nature of Biden & Giffords friendship, I believe it's disingenuous to be critical of the comment. Has Giffords made any statement (public or private) denouncing Biden's comment? Until she does, then this is about as much a non-story as it gets.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Biden wasn't shot in the head during a violent attack. He had a couple of surgeries for aneurysms. Far less traumatic than getting part of your brain removed by a bullet. Giffords will have a lifelong challenge ahead of her. Unlike Biden's only challenge of controlling his mouth.

An injury as great as Giffords affects the entire neurochemical balance of the brain and can often lead to epilepsy or epileptic events. It happened to me just from all of the surgeries.

I wish it were as simple as you make it out to be. Biden is an ass and that's my opinion of the man.

BTW My thanks to your Baylor Medical Center for my treatment and recovery many moons ago.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Someone once said that the vice president's job is to act so stupid and so crazy that no one in their right mind would want to hurt the president.

In that respect, Biden was perfect for the job, as was Cheney and Quayle

This was classless and clueless.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
at least giffords has an excuse biden was born that way

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Aggie Man

Biden wasn't shot in the head during a violent attack. He had a couple of surgeries for aneurysms. Far less traumatic than getting part of your brain removed by a bullet. Giffords will have a lifelong challenge ahead of her. Unlike Biden's only challenge of controlling his mouth.

An injury as great as Giffords affects the entire neurochemical balance of the brain and can often lead to epilepsy or epileptic events. It happened to me just from all of the surgeries.

I wish it were as simple as you make it out to be. Biden is an ass and that's my opinion of the man.

BTW My thanks to your Baylor Medical Center for my treatment and recovery many moons ago.

I won't go so far as to call him an ass, but Biden is definitely a clown. Also, you are correct in that he was not violently shot in the head. However, in 1972, he did lose his wife and 18-month-old daughter in a violent auto accident with a 18-wheeler, one in which Biden's two sons were critically injured (with head injuries). I know, apples & oranges. I just want to point out that he has suffered great tragedy as well.

Insofar as the "cracked head club" comment, sure it was a poor choice of words; however, often I hear people refer to surgery as "being cracked open". So, although a poor choice of words, Biden was simply making light of a horrible experience and showing empathy by welcoming Giffords to a club for which he is already a member "cracked head club" (i.e., brain surgery club).

To sum up my opinion: Bad choice of words? YES. Malicious intent? NO.

On your last note, Baylor Medical Center is an outstanding facility...one of the best! I'm glad they were there for you.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Those damned Tea Party people saying stuff like that! It's disgust-. . . huh?

What do you mean? Biden's not a Tea Party person?

He's a WHAT? Nononononono! Democrats are sensitive and kind and compassionate.

Not flaming idiots!

Huh?

They ARE flaming idiots?
(I gotta stop watching MSNBC)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Maybe Joe can have a covert meeting with the worlds oil executives just prior to a large, systemic
price spike in gasoline?

shoot a friend in the face and the right will rally around you like a pack of faithful dogs

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It was a bad choice of words but he obviously didn't intend any harm. He was probably trying to make her feel welcome in that special Biden kind of way.

As far as generalizing the left for this one man's comment....really?

I suggest we start forgiving and loving each other. This left/right bickering is simply a form of deep fear and hate. I'm guilty of the same hate and I'm so sick of feeling this way toward my fellow human beings.

Time to let go of it all and start loving. EVERYONE.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by brianmg5

I suggest we start forgiving and loving each other. This left/right bickering is simply a form of deep fear and hate. I'm guilty of the same hate and I'm so sick of feeling this way toward my fellow human beings.

Oh for the love of Buddha!!!
I've lost COUNT the times I've been accused of something because "a" Tea Party person said something.
When a lone gunman goes on a spree, ALL gunowners are deemed "responsible" for the shooting.
When a republican does something stupid, "every" republican is painted with the same broad brush.

But have a lefty do or say something stupid?

It's all about love and forgiveness.
I'm not buying it.
Sorry.
edit on 4-8-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by brianmg5

Oh for the love of Buddha!!!
I've lost COUNT the times I've been accused of something because "a" Tea Party person said something.
When a lone gunman goes on a spree, ALL gunowners are deemed "responsible" for the shooting.
When a republican does something stupid, "every" republican is painted with the same broad brush.

But have a lefty do or say something stupid?

It's all about love and forgiveness.
I'm not buying it.
Sorry.
edit on 4-8-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

It's ok Beezzer. I love you the most

Look, I even gave you a star.
edit on 4-8-2011 by brianmg5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2011 by brianmg5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2011 by brianmg5 because: Formatting

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
These people in power utterly frighten me because of their extensively retrograde stuck immaturity, as well as the sociopathy and greed. They always think they are the superior ubermenches, but if you took one out of his Georgetown four story victorian brick townhome and his (or her) custom taylored suits and chauffeured trans, and moved them to East Rogers Park in Chicago, put them on Social Security under $900.00 per month, in a slummy apartment that keeps flooding, and the newly immigrant Landlord won't fix it, and now your beset with pets because some tennents left their kittens with you, I'd like to see how long they last without mentally and physically melting down.
edit on 4-8-2011 by simone50m because: edit

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by brianmg5

Stop it!
(I'm trying to be indignant, you're not helping)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

please stop using big words i only finished the 8th grade

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by beezzer

please stop using big words i only finished the 8th grade

Be proud!
It's a goal Biden has yet to obtain.

new topics