It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Just In - Physicists Prove That Time Travel Is Impossible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by NorEaster

Hong Kong physicists say they have proven that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light -- demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible.
But travelling faster than the speed of light is most certainly not the only way to achieve time travel. And in fact it's probably one of the last methods I would try.

And so, how would you master the reconstruction of reality once you've completely destroyed it by undoing the existential structure of progressive ramification? It's more about the net impact of time travel. Time travel can't occur due to the nature of the contextual environment (reality), and how that environment is progressively formed. Nothing just "is". Everything exists due to a progression of existential emergence. That progression runs all the way back to the very beginning. The branches run everywhere, and link everything. Violate that progressive chain at any point, and the ramifications.....well, it's a good thing that it can't be done. The emerged something can't undo what contributed to its own emergence. The logical issues are insurmountable.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

This seems to say that clocks higher up would tick faster, though not by much.
www.gravityfromthegroundup.org...

What a clock does and what Time does are two very different issues. A clock is a mechanical device. It's not Time itself.

General relativity proves what he said. Time itself, indeed, appears to go by at a different rate, due to gravitational influence.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This only proves FTL time travel is impossible. This does not prove that other methods are impossible.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
First off, eventually the heisenburg uncertainty will be solved, randomness is an illusion.
When this is done we will be able to build quantum computers. These computers will make it possible to exactly simulate our universe from beginning to end with enough data collection, meaning that we will be able to fastforward and rewind time in this simulation to observe the past and simulate the future by altering the present.

I see. The whole Matrix concept. Good movie, but as reality it's a little lean on direct inference within any of what we know to be true.

First of all, try solving a few of the steps between what you believe and what is known. At least a few. Imagination is wonderful, but it's not reality.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by th3dudeabides
This only proves FTL time travel is impossible. This does not prove that other methods are impossible.

Those methods being....?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

What a clock does and what Time does are two very different issues. A clock is a mechanical device. It's not Time itself.

General relativity proves what he said. Time itself, indeed, appears to go by at a different rate, due to gravitational influence.

And this is verified...how?

Seriously. Please provide more than your own assertions here. A responsible source (link) would be helpful. Something that connects such an assertion with the actual mechanics involved.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

And this is verified...how?

Seriously. Please provide more than your own assertions here. A responsible source (link) would be helpful. Something that connects such an assertion with the actual mechanics involved.

Get a textbook on physics or read about it online somewhere. The whole technical derivation involves a lot of math, but experiments agree with the results. Gravity influences the passage of time, same like how time passes slower to an object traveling at very high velocities. Look up Lorentz transformations.

It is this observable fact that makes metaphysicists uncomfortable.

Here's a wiki
edit on 25-7-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I never understood FTL and time travel. IMHO if you travel faster than light you are merely outrunning the photons that show you some specific event, thus you are theoretically able to 're-watch' said event. But as you travel back 'home' you are being bombarded with the photons, everything should appear to go faster, and you end up catching up to the correct time...

Eh, I always seem to invoke the doplar effect which I have been told doesnt hold true when it comes to photons and FTL travel...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This just in: they didn't prove squat. There are ways around the speed of light, notably bending it and torsion fields.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Light can't travel faster than light?
This scientist should be granted with Ignoble award

So literally he claims that he is correct because he agree with himself. Clever as hell.

edit on 25-7-2011 by odyseusz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yes I agree light can't travel faster than light.
That's a no brainer.

As for time travel, I think time is experienced not travelled.

Time can slow and speed up maybe but not stop and go backwards, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Interesting.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't LHC send a particle at slightly above light speed travel?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Awww this makes me sad reading that time travel is impossible. I mean what about star gates? In the series star trek they bent time and space around the ship in order to go back in time or travel fast. They didn't use FTL. What if time travel only requires thought. TIME TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE, damn it! lol

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I read this article a day or two ago. My main concern was if the experiment was operating under the premise of linear time.

How can we prove time travel is impossible if we can't even grasp the concept of cyclical time?

I am not scientists, but I am a bit of a philosopher and this question keeps popping into my head. It could very well have no basis whatsoever, but I thought I would still throw it out there if it hasn't been already.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

This is so submissive I can't even think where to begin.

Just a few months ago, Chinese government made it ILLEGAL. To reference time travel, can't talk about it, can't be in movies or tv. So of course a Chinese sponsored test comes up with a chinese approved answer.

I believe time travel is possible, and we just don't have the knowhow or the tools to do it yet. The fact the Chinese government is so against time travel then they come out with a test that says it's impossible, makes me think there is a little more to the picture than originally believed.

It's against their religion to alter time (wtf kind of religion is that?)

Anyway yea if you want me to find the article I will, but only if someone asks me to do it. Testing the speeds of photons doesn't prove anything either (since it's not photons that travel through time) serious china please follow us with theoretical physics, "Higgs" the responsible (has many different names) but simply there are "particles" of energy that go forwards in time and backwards, and all around .

Final note, time is not linear it judtappears that way to our tiny little organic minds. Each and every possible possibility has happened and is happening all at the same time.

The mutliverse is not limited to the paid opinion of a scientist.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

What about the radio waves that they observed the other year travelling fast than light?

Device makes radio waves travel faster than light

Or when they shone a beam of light through gaseous caesium?

FTL with gaseous caesium

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If they sent normal matter at the speed of light the experiment would've been way more interesting... Also, anything is possible guys and gals: time travel, lasers, internet built into our brains, dinosaurs, you just have to have a little determination. And funding.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

Furthermore they are wrong, so is Albert Einstein' cosmic speed limit theory.
If the universe is limited to a speed limit, then how can the cosmic expansion go faster than light? Seems to contradict itself. Because the amount of space that was the size of two solar systems took only 100 seconds. Which can't be because is Albert' cosmic speed limit theory was right, it would have taken much longer, plus we wouldn't see as many stars as we do, because the universe would have formed much too slowly.

So what is the answer then? Either the theory of relativity of wrong, or these scientist are wrong. So what is it then?

Personally I believe the "cosmic speed limit" is like calling the universe a cosmical constant, Robert Doyle was dead wrong, so are we going to agree with him cause he had a nice idea? Or are we going to look for real facts for example.

Traveling on a. Dark matter rift can take you anywhere in space and time. Why? Because your using the very thing that creates space-time as your personal highway. I imagine it would go 6-8 tikes faster then FTL drives.

So where does this lead us? What conclusion can you possibly come up with that forbids this? You can't, there is no answer. If dark matter created the universe, then with the right tools and knowhow you can use it your advantage. This is my dream, and I hope one day someone will make it reality.

I will openly challenge the cosmic speed limit, because of two things, one the speed limit is bs. And two people seem to look at albert as if he were some sort of god that is always right, some people need a hint of reality.

He is no different than anyone else with an idea, if you need something like brain wiring to convince you, well I do have the same setup. Mathematical part of my brain, is over grown and is overtaking the social part of my brain. Also I have A.D.D. Which means it's hard to focus on one thing for more than a minute, I get bored and look for something else.

All I know china is wrong on this one, and I will bet all of my possession, money, clothes even my life. Because I know the cosmic speed limit can be broken. (modern methods such as shooting a solid state at something, break speed limits with energy, not ballistics)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Shepp

It doesn't help that china has BANNED any and all media references to time travel and made it openly illegal to even talk about it. This is a paid opinion, not a real test.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If nothing can travel faster than the speed of light then how do you explain spooky action at a distance??

Saying time travel is impossible is a pretty big leap just because a study shows a photon can't travel faster than light. As a matter of fact, saying anything is impossible is just flat ignorant. A true scientist never rules anything out and knows what we know now is just that, what we know NOW.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join