It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Just In - Physicists Prove That Time Travel Is Impossible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Hong Kong physicists say they have proven that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light -- demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible.

...so they confirmed light (aka photons) can't travel faster than the speed of light. What about objects other than light?

Obviously I'm missing something here.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
Here is yet another example the Global Conscientiousness Survey.
Here is another example of the human mind perceiving things before they occur.

noosphere.princeton.edu...

I didn't see any suggestion that the reactions that they noted were anticipatory. I understand the idea of common stress response affecting the material world, but collective anticipation isn't really indicated in that research.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by de Thor

Hong Kong physicists say they have proven that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light -- demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible.

...so they confirmed light (aka photons) can't travel faster than the speed of light. What about objects other than light?

Obviously I'm missing something here.

And what objects are those? Objectively, nothing has been suggested to even approach the speed of light.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I'll agree with you're statement but unusual results none the less. What about Global Consciousness ?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I was suggesting spaceships and the like, but obviously we're no where near that type of technology. My question is: why is light necessary to go faster than the speed of light? Couldn't one time travel in the dark?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

o.k what i dont get here is they have taken a unit of light (photon) and measured its speed and then said nope it still go's at the speed of light well duh its light
now I know you can slow light down but left alone it should be a constant it's like driving a ford focus at top speed from A to B and saying well it's top speed is 120 mph right if we can go faster then that we can go back in time go get another ford focus and were see if its possible
why not take a unit of something else rather then light and measure that how about a unit of dark??? it seems to go dark just as quick as it does light when i flick the light switch on and off

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

I didn't see any suggestion that the reactions that they noted were anticipatory. I understand the idea of common stress response affecting the material world, but collective anticipation isn't really indicated in that research.

Yes it does seem to be able to perceive the future. Check this out. I'll give you a work out yet!

www.damninteresting.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystic Technician
There may be forces faster than light which we might not be able to sense.

Also ,thoughts and gravitational waves could be faster than light.

There are, but they aren't particle-centric. That being the case, velocity isn't part of the impact suite.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jademonkey2k

I'm a little confused: if clocks on top of skyscrapers go faster, why do humans in space age slower?

Disclaimer: I sucked in science class.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

There are, but they aren't particle-centric. That being the case, velocity isn't part of the impact suite.

Noreaster could you elaborate a little on this. I have also had the thought that if nothing is faster than light than why can't light escape a black hole?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Yes it does seem to be able to perceive the future. Check this out. I'll give you a work out yet!

www.damninteresting.com...

It mentioned a notieable spike 4 hours befrore the 9/11 attacks, and that was the only one the article mentioned that could be considered unexpected. But, the event was not universally unexpected, and this is key to determining the true existential forces that may or may not be in play here.

If you really believe that there were only a handful of Arabs who were awaiting the launch of those attacks, then you haven't done a lot of research into the plausible causes and coordinated efforts that brought those attacks into manifestation and then properly managed the rollout of those attacks as a single transformational event. The stress involved was undoubtedly extreme, especially if the 19 hijackers were a myth or delusional dupes - as the evidence has strongly suggested. The range of impact by human Intellect is not confined by physical proximity, and it's not known how powerful trauma - especially a building trauma - is or how a collective trauma (again, the kind of building trauma that involvement in such a clearly repugnant event would've caused on those professionals who found themselves cornered within it and wishing they'd never been recruited) manifests in a psycho-kinetic manner.

I do know one thing. I've experienced the amazing force of extreme frustration from a woman friend of mine as psycho-kinesis. All I can say is that overwhelming stress can cause the human mind to react in remarkable ways, and if a normally decent businessman is facing the most disgraceful project imaginable, then who knows the effect of such a thing on the existential environment at large. Then multiply that by however many staff and field managers were required for those attacks to occur, and then to be properly leveraged, and I wouldn't be surprised at the levels of tightly-managed near-hysteria as the zero hour approached. That kind of harrowing stress (especially involving fairly normal international corporate executives that would've needed to know any level of specifics) could've easily moved a few needles here and there....or everywhere.
edit on 7/24/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Noreaster could you elaborate a little on this. I have also had the thought that if nothing is faster than light than why can't light escape a black hole?

There are two basic forms of physical existence, and they "work together" in a tightly woven symbiosis. Those two forms of physical existence the event and information. Nothing else exists as physical. The event is what we - as corporeal beings - are able to perceive. Information is what "manages" the range of manifestation potential for an event trajectory. What also exists is a true hybrid of both forms of physical existence, and the corporeal brain is what creates this hybrid. This hybrid (the human version is Intellect) is dynamic, conscious, determinative, and yet it's not restricted by the same physical parameters that the particle is held to.

From the perspective of a corporeal event trajectory (which is what your brain is) this Intellect is like a miracle. It's not, but you won't really appreciate that fact as a constant reality until you've graduated from the corporeal development stage and emerged as a fully viable human being. Then it'll make perfect sense.

Oh...and about a black hole. Photons are particles (redundant event trajectories) that are on a linear trajctory upon emergence, and the black hole's enormous density (and resulting gravitational suckage) is a matrix linear/redundant event trajectory. If a greater trajectory collides with a lesser trajectory, the lesser trajectory is redirected. That photon's linear trajectory path is no match for the black hole's influence, and so its linear trajectory is redirected. You experience the event as the absence of that photon's presence. No photon = no light. Pretty simple.
edit on 7/24/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Jademonkey2k

I'm a little confused: if clocks on top of skyscrapers go faster, why do humans in space age slower?

Disclaimer: I sucked in science class.

Clocks on skyscrapers don't go faster. That's the point. There's a lot that's made the rounds of the Internet that isn't true.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

This seems to say that clocks higher up would tick faster, though not by much.
www.gravityfromthegroundup.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The fact that the word impossible was used by a scientist annoys me; there are other particles besides photons which are elusive to us.

Ohh and I don't believe traveling back in time exist; i think it's stupid to think so (if you do, no offense), forward is a whole different story in my opinion. I’m all about the search the truth, but the second the word impossible starts being thrown around… discounts a lot of credibility for me.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Yes if we are talking about photons. The point is what about tachyons? You should search a bit about it, you could find really interesting pieces of information out there on this subject.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

edit on 24-7-2011 by enament because: bad example

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
In actuality we are all moving at the speed of light without knowing it.

The planet is spinning on its axis. Its spinning around the sun ,
which is also in a spin path orbit of the galactic equator.

We are not aware of the immense speed because in effect ,
it is the same as being in a moving transport while we sit in it.
Relatively we don't seem to be moving while in fact we are.

Gravity is at least as fast as light. Black holes suggest its faster.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
if time travel is not possible, how am I able to go to sleep now and wake up in the morning. We are all time travelers...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Classic example of scientists who do not understand the theories they are working with.

Einstein's equations do not say that nothing can go faster than the speed of light; they say that nothing can be perceived to go faster than the speed of light. Time itself exists in a nonlinear fashion, and it's velocity (for lack of a better term) is tied to an object's velocity through the three spatial dimensions. That's what E=mc² means.

We don't know if the photon they were observing traveled faster than light or not. We know that they did not perceive it traveling faster than light. Those are two quite different things.

Incidentally, clocks at higher altitudes do run faster. The difference is minute, to the extent that only atomic clocks can allow detection of the differential. This was tested and observed in a scientific experiment many years ago.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join