It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Arrest 20 Teens Leaving a Movie for Curfew Violation 20 Mins before Curfew Starts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

Well, there are those in Iran who say similar things online. They just don't say it to the authorities on the street. They have to be careful what they say.

Did you see what happened to the guy in the US who called a cop a Nazi while on his own property? Do you think you can refer to cops as Nazi's in the US with impunity? What about the "See something, say something" campaign to report anything deemed "suspicious". There isn't really the freedom you claim there is.

And like everything else, "Police State" is a matter of degrees. You may be able to point to a more repressive "Police State" in another part of the world or in history but that doesn't mean the US hasn't also become one.

There are different sized bears, different types, some more dangerous than others. They are all bears.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by eNumbra

Regardless of how incredibly ridiculous legally enforceable curfews are, you cannot enforce them until after the time they go into affect; and as a publicly employed police officer there is definitely something wrong about taking your suspects to a private security center.

If these kids were arrested 20 minutes BEFORE curfew AND it was less than 20 minutes to the nearest police detention facility then it SHOWS the cops involved were KNOWINGLY acting under the color of the law and trying to hide their KIDNAPPING!

This could get really interesting because that is exactly what it was. KIDNAPPING and if the parents have any smarts they will try charging the cops and the PRIVATE facility with KIDNAPPING.

If ANY money had to change hands to get those kids released I am sure a smart lawyer can have lots of fun.

I want to know how much the private contractor made from the deal, and how much of a kick back the local police department got. That's where it will get interesting.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

I think you're talking about the real "meat" of this event. I'd be interested to see what other "crime prevention events" these cops have organized and which involved this facility

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tncryptogal

I want to know how much the private contractor made from the deal, and how much of a kick back the local police department got. That's where it will get interesting.

I was kind of wondering that myself. I'd done some digging on the ordinance. So, I wondered what I could find out about the place they take the kids too and I found...

Youth Services for Oklahoma County

It looks like the place they took the kids was the...

Community Intervention Center
In partnership with Oklahoma City and the Oklahoma Office of Juvenile Affairs, the CIC is a 24-hour juvenile processing and intervention center for youth arrested in Oklahoma County. By experiencing several consequences, such as booking, digital photography and fingerprinting, the youth get a glimpse of the realities of the juvenile justice system. The CIC also efficiently aids in getting the youth back to their parents as soon as possible, while allowing the police officers to quickly return to their duties.

It looks like they offer a whole range of money making..err..life changing..
services for the youth of Oklahoma County. Pretty much a one stop shop for all the county's juvenile needs. It looks like they have at least 7 different things going - all dealing with youth. One of the issues with these kinds of things is there is basically more money to be made the more kids they can get in the system and the longer they can keep them in it.

I think I remember a case not too long ago where a judge was getting kickbacks for sending kids to some rehab place?

edit on 21-7-2011 by Frogs because: added more info

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If I had been there with my kids after the movie, if I lived in that town, I would be in jail right this minute for assaulting a police officer, I would have snapped, I am so sick of this BS "I am holier than thou, I am the word of God" attitude we have to endure from this lowlife pricks on a daily basis in this Country! Since when did they stop mandatory psychological testing for these effing idiots anyway? They should all lose their jobs due to "Mental instability". because that is what their actions show they are mentally unfit police officers.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
IF society fears it's children, society is probably doing something very wrong.

Curfews - never understood them. Never liked the idea of them.
I homeschool - at night. One time about 11pm took my son to Walmart. For him school was just out. (He learns best at night.) I remember telling him to stay close to me, b/c we have a curfew here for underage out without a parent unless driving to/from work or classes.

Government is overbearing. For some people controlling their own kids is not enough.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by stoptheinsanity2012

Woa....same here, had no idea of this provincial law. At least in Ontario's case it applies to kids under the age of 16, plus they call the parents to pick them up from the station.......not just dumping them in some privatley run jail overnight.

Still.....technically I could have been picked up numerous times after hours and had to have my parents pick me up....if they answered the phone at 12:30am.... LOL.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, my first response is that the teens should not be arrest period if they are with their parents or another responsible adult. The entire purpose of a curfew is so we don't have unsupervised kids roaming the streets; if they are supervised, then leave them alone.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Never heard for curfew before.

But still i believe that USA is most dumbest nation on world, also i believe most of worlds evil comes from there too. Dunno why i write this. I just wanted to express what i think for USA.

American dream for people means lots of good things, but for all other people american dream is nightmare. For your "dream" people die, and you get fat not knowing even where Iran or Austria is.

meh, all nonsense.

The thing is that i dont like dumb people and i have "wrong" perception that all USA ppl are dumb. Sry ppl, but thats the way it is.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by donkeystyle

There have been curfew laws for minors for decades in the U.S., so I just wanted to clarify that this is not a new thing. They are not usually enforced in this way, so that is why this made the news. It is an unusual event.

Most of the time, you were just told to go home, and sometimes the police officer would drive you home. The only time I saw people detained was when they were in large groups , and that seems to be what happened here. However, I would have never been detained if my parents were around, but the laws are different depending on where you live.
edit on 21-7-2011 by PacificBlue because: grammar

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
Hold on a minute, You have curfews for teenagers?.....In America?
So much for the land of the free.

Haha, yeah we do. Go figure huh? Here we still look at teens, as children, Not young adults....

So they are treated like children, regardless....

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Every cop involved, including the supervisor of their shift at the time should be fired and never allowed to work in law enforcement again.
The chief of police should be reprimanded on record for allowing idiots to work on the force.
The parents should all raise the roof with Oklahoma's attorney general.
The parents should all band together and hire a good lawyer and sue for illegal detainment.
Overreaction? I think not, until the sheep of America start standing on their own two feet and truly overeacting to the most minor of facist idiocy then it will only continue to expand and get more severe until we can no longer turn it around.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Curfews exist because children should not be out late at night. Whether it's drunk drivers on the road or criminals looking to take advantage of someone curfews are a good thing for CHILDREN. Also I love how most people who knock on the US don't even have a location listed on their profile nor their post, ashamed possibly?

obviously these cops were dicks and need to be punished.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It’s kidnapping, plain and simple.

Take their phones from them, force them into a van and then taken to a private facility wtf

I would be hysterical if my girls were taken by anyone.

If children are seen in the wrong place by the police. Their parents should be called to come and collect them from that exact spot, not taken away and kidnapped.
edit on 21/7/11 by Whateva69 because: oops

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
When I was 16, I hated the curfew law. Now that I'm more mature, I realize that 95% of kids out past midnight aren't up to anything good. In the ideal world, sure it'd be great if there didn't have to be a curfew, but this is the real world. Any kids out past midnight, who aren't at a movie or other event like that, are doing stuff that they shouldn't be doing.
There are a lot of people who shouldn't be cops that are. You need to blame the individuals in this case, not the system.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
If I had been there with my kids after the movie, if I lived in that town, I would be in jail right this minute for assaulting a police officer, I would have snapped, I am so sick of this BS "I am holier than thou, I am the word of God" attitude we have to endure from this lowlife pricks on a daily basis in this Country! Since when did they stop mandatory psychological testing for these effing idiots anyway? They should all lose their jobs due to "Mental instability". because that is what their actions show they are mentally unfit police officers.

Idyserenity I’m with you; I would have been locked up as well. My mummy protection would have kicked in like a lioness on a rampage.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I realize that 95% of kids out past midnight aren't up to anything good.

Except that all of those other kids who wouldn't be doing anything bad aren't out because of the curfew, such a statistic is flawed and irrelevant.

When you criminalize something of course only the real criminals will continue doing it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is what happens when you let dim witted power hungry sleezy politicians have power. They make laws that are useless and enforce them with an iron hammer, because, well, doing something, is better than doing nothing. Cops and dumb politicians are a bad combination.

The US has to push back and take back the power!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by donkeystyle
About a year ago i had a "nightmare" , me and my mom had moved to the USA in my nightmare. We were stuck in los angeles.

It was literally a nightmare and i woke up panicking. Things like this don't make my view of america any better.

USA is the new nazi state. It's just taking a while to come to light.

What a bunch of crap. You are using this one incident to justify a profound Bigotry which is in all ways the equivalent of being a Racist. Like I said, what a load. You may as well join the Nazi Party or the KKK if you're not already a member now.

Let me guess, you have never been here and all you know about us you got from other bigots on the Internet? Correct?
edit on 7/21/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Want to bet all those "business interests" who demanded the curfew are small-government, get-the-hell-out-of-my-business, antigovernment, anti-nanny-state Republicans, Tea Partiers or Libertarians?

They always seem to be the culprits when stupid, but money-making laws are concerned.

Kidnapping for ransom under the color of authority is a crime.

Kidnapping for ransom under color of authority is what has occurred.

It can't be passed off as a few overzealous cops, or a simple mistake.

Crimes were committed by police for profit and they should be charged and prosecuted for it.

I laugh when cops here on ATS say "I'd never turn on the people", when they do it every day. How is this not turning on the people? Or when they boot someone's car because they're living in it and steal it from them? Or when they take razors tothe tents of the homeless?

This is where the parents should make a federal case of it, since clearly the local police are engaging in unchecked criminal activity. If it turns out this happened before, then you have an ongoing criminal enterprise and the RICO laws should be invoked.

Laws were broken by police under the color of authority.

Enforce the laws or admit you really don't care about the rule of law.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join