It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban all religions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
What about the church of the flying spaghetti monster?

That seems pretty cool

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Banning religions en mass by any authoritative power will only strengthen those who follow such ideologies - I think history has told us as much.

Instead, remove the *power* of the religious heads. By that I mean remove their tax exemptions, financial discounts, any influence over political, financial and judiciary movements and decrees.

Move them to the status of any other money making corporation. Then let's see how long the masses queue up to partake and more importantly seek the "power" and fame that being the head of such religious organisations grants.

It isn't perfect, of course, but it's better than giving them a free ride and granting them an near "untouchable" status.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

I'd go for a full public ban. Just like how most places have smoking bans. By all means, do it at home or in your 'club houses', but it's not a nice thing to see.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Religions control people....

By banning religions, you are controling people.

You are a free thinker....

So people that are free thinkers and want a religion are not allowed to have one...and so now they are not free thinkers either.

You hypocrite.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
religions are fine, until they start banning things,
I think it's banning that should be banned.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I'm not a religious person.

Banning religion is a ridiculous idea. It is totally un-achievable and totally wrong.

Any spiritual belief system can be construed as a religious belief, so basically what the OP is proposing is a banning of any and all spiritual beliefs.

This is an extremely small minded and inhuman view.

Spiritual belief systems have been with the human race all of its existence, they are one of the things that DEFINE humanity.

So what would you do OP??, Form some kind of 'Religion Police' force and go to all churches, all temples, tell the people to stop praying to God or go to jail?? Go to all the Native Peoples and tell them they can't practice their tribal religions anymore?? Tell Buddhists they can't meditate anymore??? Tell the New Age'rs they can't worship Mother Earth anymore??

Learn some history OP. Look and see when and where this has been tried before. Look at the results. What you are proposing has the hallmarks of an oppressive dehumanizing regime.

This is where that Zeitgeist movie series has it's head up its ass.

Try to use your head OP, there is more to religion than "oh religions are the cause of wars and stuff".

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua
Any spiritual belief system can be construed as a religious belief, so basically what the OP is proposing is a banning of any and all spiritual beliefs.

Well no, that's your supposition, not his. You say "Any spiritual belief system can be construed as religious belief..." That doesn't mean it is. I would consider myself very spiritual but very anti-religious - i do not see the two related at all. To me, spirituality deals with a very personal, higher level of consciousness and existence that we humans all possess but for the most, have no idea how to access it.

Religion, on the other hand, represents a static set of rules and regulations set down by predominantly male individuals at a time in human evolution to manage and control the masses. When they couldn't explain why water fell from the sky, or why molten rock or great earth tremblings happened - religion was a handy way to explain the unexplainable and help give meaning to the things people couldn't understand.

I personally do not see religion as spiritual whatsoever. And perhaps the OP does not either, but I don't know.

...there is more to religion than "oh religions are the cause of wars and stuff".

I'm sure there is, but I find it interesting that the so called "benefits" of religion are seldom discussed or praised.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

If we are going to talk about banning things then regardless of what the difference between religion and spirituality is to you or me, when it comes to definition, religion is/are a cultural set of belief systems that relate humanity to spirituality.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Religions are something that seek control of people - OK, that is the first thing that is wrong, because all people are born onto this planet as free thinkers.

Religions cause all wars. That is a fact. Religions kill millions, and cause suffering to millions.

Religions divide us and brainwash us - let's get rid of them.

I am not saying do not believe in a higher power. I am a believer in Jesus and I am proud to say that a person on this website has told me that they have turned to Jesus because of me. I am so thankful for that.

"Governments" are something that seek control of people - OK, that is the first thing that is wrong, because all people are born onto this planet as free thinkers.

"Governments" cause all wars. That is a fact. Governments kill millions, and cause suffering to millions.

"Governments" divide us and brainwash us - let's get rid of them.

The fact is that Religion is a willing tool of the Governments. Religions will turn their houses of worship, that should be dedicated for sacred use, as polling stations and even allow political candidates to take the place of their clergy to promote their own political careers. When nations foment wars, religion endorses it and convince their followers that it is God's desire for them to become cannon fodder for the good of the country.

False religion is indeed blood guilty as are the governments they have committed spiritual adultery with.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Really? See I don't think the two are related, myself. But I guess that's just difference of opinion.

However, my initial point in my first post was an aleternative to banning - simply remove the religion's power from society and downgrade it from nigh-untouchable to just a regular, law & tax abiding organisation. I think that cutting the power out of it is far better than banning.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
You will never get rid of religions they will always be in the background it is human nature. I really dont mind people believing what they like as long as it doesnt effect my life. For example I hate islam, I went into KFC the other day and noticed they where now selling only halal chicken. I just turned and walked out as I do not want to eat animals that have had their throats cut to a book written by a madman.

People go on about the MSN stirring up hatred against the muslims but they bring it on themselves. They do not want to adapt to any society but they want all the benefits of living among us. I would say ban Islam, right wing Christianity and leave the rest out of it.

I'd support the banning of islam if it would work, but it would just start WW3. You're lucky you didn't eat at that Halal KFC, have you seen the video of the worker almost going homicidal because someone ordered bacon?

So much muslim immigration to various countries, and they keep their backward, hateful religion, leading to unrest and eventual violence. Islam is just not compatible with western society. It's obviously a flawed religion. It's also very conceivable that the genome of the people in those countries is also flawed and gives them a tendency to violent, murderous emotion. I am off my rocker? OK...

All that over BACON. These people are not right in the head.

As for Christianity, if you think it's a problem then you are just ignorant about it. The difference between christianity and islam is that while christianity has a few hateful, destructive spinoff religions (Jehovah's Witnesses for instance), Islam ITSELF is the hateful, destructive religion. Christianity is the exact opposite.

And as for the muslim problem -- personally I think the NWO is gleefully encouraging this muslim immigration into various western countries, to sow the seeds of chaos for when SHTF.
edit on 18-7-2011 by Observer99 because: edit

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gravity215

'Born to believe'?

No, nobody is. People are born athiests. Nobody would have any idea about a 'god' if nobody talked about it. Religion is trained within our children, we tell the about a loving god and how you have to abide by his rules or go to hell.

I have a 6 and a 4 year old, never filled their heads with the Santa clause crap, or the tooth fairy. I told them as soon as they would understand why people would commit to this lie. Both my children asked why the tree, why does he live in the north pole and who is Santa Claus. My children were both mad at me as I waited to tell them this long (it was last year).

I never mention god to them as I do not want to pollute their mind with anything, I don't tell them I think it is false as I would like them to make their own decisions. I will tell them what I think about it if/when they ask me.

I think the worst indoctrination into religion is Santa Claus. He is very similar to god in many ways and teaches kids to have 'faith' at a young age.

Everyone, throughout the world, is born as an atheist. It is only when we pollute their mind with our crazy ideologies that they start believing what we think they should. No baby's first word is 'god'.

Pred...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I am not a big fan of man-made religions either.....however....for many...they really seem to help. They have a place to gather with like minded people and they get moral support....and make some valuable friendships.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Well it seems to be 'the chicken or the egg' dilemma, because, as I stated earlier, religious belief systems have been around as long as we have, they are a defining part of humanity.

Some anthropologists believe that this is because of the ingesting of hallucinogens, which developed into shamanism. The shamans became versed and experienced in this 'other' world, and their beliefs became spiritual practices, which then got hijacked as they became organised religions. There is evidence that every known tribal culture that has existed had forms of shamanism, and this goes back hundreds of thousands of years. Other anthropologists(rightly) suggest that this ingesting of hallucinogens even predates humanity and that our evolutionary ancestors did the same, of course they didn't develop spiritual belief systems like we did but where do you draw the line? We seem to have always had this 'altered' view of reality at our disposal.

So, maybe we are born to believe? Maybe it's a natural part of the human condition? I don't think we are born atheists, I think we create a cognitive reality for ourselves and adapt to our environment. If believing in, visualizing, and interacting(via shamanism/altered states) with a 'mother earth' figure, for example, helps a tribe maintain a working relationship with their local eco-system for generations upon generations, then that makes sense to me.

edit on 18-7-2011 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I don't care what people believe in.

Banning religion will do nothing.

People will still find a reason to kill and hurt others.

IMO it's how you interpret the religion and the beliefs.

Look at all the religions out there...You have good and bad people in all. Most use their religion as an excuse to do what they want but if they ALL sat back and really looked at their beliefs, their "god" wouldn't approve of half the things these people do in his name.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
First ban all religion and make a law of it.
Then make sure everyone not believe anymore, no religious people.
Then put everyone who still believe and practice religion in jail.
If they still practice those religion in jail, just kill them all.

After no religion, people only believe in common law man made. As long as we can find a hole in the system and have enough money to pay a good lawyer, then things will be fine.

Seems like a good world to me. sarcasm

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I would not say ban religion, I would definitely say that in regard to religion every individual has the right to his/her own beliefs, HOWEVER, they should not be allowed to implicate or force their beliefs onto others. People should have the right to debate, they should have the right to disagree, and in the end, be entitled to their own thoughts and ideas. Sure, religion has caused so many deaths throughout history, do we blame God? It's an excuse for us to blame religion compared to actually taking the responsibility for ourselves.

Religion in a metaphorical approach makes a lot more sense than religion taken in a literal sense. The one thing that will always forever prevail is reason and rationality. Banning religion itself will cause more problems and more wars, but I definitely see where you are coming from.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345
religions are fine, until they start banning things,
I think it's banning that should be banned.

Agreed! Let people believe whatever they wish, as long as they do not harm others. If anything, religion is a very personal issue, it should not be commercialized.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Religions cause all wars. That is a fact. Religions kill millions, and cause suffering to millions.

You are just another media brainwashed guy.
The U.S cause all the wars. In the last century have you heard about wars that did not involve U.S? A few only.
Well are they doing it in the name of a religion? No, they are all atheist, but the wars the always starting is in religious countries.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join