It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Pictures: Wild Fish Uses Tool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Photograph courtesy Scott Gardner

We know that some species of animals such as chimps and even dolphins have been documented using tools.. However this is the first time a fish has been observed using 'tools' outside of the lab.
Trully remarkable.

A blackspot tuskfish off Australia has its mouth full as it carries a cockle to a nearby rock, against which the fish was seen repeatedly bashing the shellfish to get at the fleshy bits inside. A recent study in the journal Coral Reefs says the picture—snapped at a depth of nearly 60 feet (18 meters) in Australia's Great Barrier Reef in 2006—is the first ever taken of a tool-using fish in the wild.

Go to link for more pictures and summary.
Link

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

i shoulda recorded my chiclid... he used tools all the time, even used the fake plants as a sling shot to help him dig holes.....

fish arn't dumb, i've kept a jack daniel with 15 pirhana for 6 months, the jack owned the tank... pirhana were scared #less of him, and he was smaller

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
wow i should record tool using fish in captivity i'd be famous...

but seriously, i just think people dont pay enough attention, i see animals use tools all the time, just pay attention

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What would happen if we gave the fish knives, or shovels.

I am not really kidding... I mean wouldn't it be interesting to see if some of them picked up skills with the tools that the tools were designed to do?

Would be one heck of an interesting experiment.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
wow i should record tool using fish in captivity i'd be famous...

but seriously, i just think people dont pay enough attention, i see animals use tools all the time, just pay attention

I think you are right, i see animals use tools all the time too, my co worker is one of them.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Ya no kidding, maybe National Geographic would even publish it

Seriously though you should.
I think the big deal is this is the "first" time a fish in the WILD not in the lab or captivity has been observed and pictures taken to document the case.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That is so cool.
you should check these out as well...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Great news and picture. Always like when i see animal with ability like that, proof they are not as stupid as lots of people think.
Thanks a lot.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

all kids use tools? your's isn't special setting up a "dig hole".

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Video up on this now

top topics

join