It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive meat circulating on Japanese market

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here's another one:

Radioactive meat circulating on Japanese market

A Japanese health official downplayed the dangers Tuesday after cesium contaminated meat from six Fukushima cows was delivered to Japanese markets and probably ingested.

The meat, delivered late last month, has made its way to consumers and most likely has been ingested, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government said Monday evening. This was preceded by another recent discovery of radiation in the meat of 11 cows delivered to Tokyo from the same farm.

The discovery was made when Tokyo's office of health and welfare investigated six deliveries made at the end of June from a Fukushima farm. So far, radiation has been confirmed from three out of the six cows. In one case, radiation reached 3400 Becquerels, which is about seven times the limit set by the government.

Seven times the limit set by the government and they downplayed fears. I wonder how--if--they will be testing cows/meat regularly, because if people would have to continuous eat the meat for there to be adverse affects and accumulation over time, 7 times the amount continuously ingested does pose a great risk, especially since the high amount of radioactivity in the area (and elsewhere).

And more from here: Japanese Beef Contamination Widens

Cattle at the farm in Asakawa, about 60 kilometres from the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear station, were fed with rice straw containing 97,000 becquerels of caesium per kilogram, compared with the government standard of 300 becquerels, said Hidenori Ohtani at the livestock division of the Fukushima prefectural government. Read more: www.smh.com.au...

That a HUGE increase, but the officials are downplaying it? Nothing to see here, move right along, just eat your beef, everything is all right. Governments downplaying and trying to suppress information to not create a panic when there is a true potential for danger, yet they will stop kids from selling lemonade due to "safety concern?"

How far will this go? The ecosystem and the web are extremely complex, and the consequences are far reaching.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Selling me contaminated meat, oh goody I just feel like dying! Not! The lying dogs, like those people don't want to live either. Shaking my head here, either the world is going to the sh!ts or I'm just waking up to notice
edit on 15-7-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Does anybody have any idea what effects ingesting radioactive products cause?
Seriously I have no clue...
Obviously can't be good but what exactly does it do....?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pattyngayle

Hmm, I don't know burning inside our from radiation or losing your hair. Google the symptoms of radiation poisoning.....there's your answer

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pattyngayle
Does anybody have any idea what effects ingesting radioactive products cause?
Seriously I have no clue...
Obviously can't be good but what exactly does it do....?
It's kind of complex, but I'll oversimplify it.

Basically the radiation kills cells. Usually this isn't a big deal, because we have cells die all the time, it's a naturally occurring process. a little extra radiation kills a few extra cells prematurely but that's not really that harmful, the body can handle that.

But here's the problem. Every once in a while it may not quite kill the cell, but only damages the cell and the cell lives. Every once in a while when this happens, the mutation to the cell is a form of cancer, and the defective cancer cell divides at an abnormally high rate, and if your body's defenses don't nip it in the early stages, then the cancer takes over your body, and you die.

Here's one reason they might downplay this. Let's say the last 9 steaks you ate were well under the radiation limit. Now you eat one of these steaks that's 7 times the limit. When you average your radiation consumption over your last 10 steaks, you really haven't exceeded the limit. And since the limits are set based on the safety of long term consumption as opposed to any single meal, it's probably not that bad.

Now of EVERY steak you eat is 7 times the limit, then you have a problem. But there's no evidence that's the case here....yet.

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Hmm, I don't know burning inside our from radiation or losing your hair. Google the symptoms of radiation poisoning.....there's your answer
Unfortunately that's not correct for the low levels of radiation being discussed in this case. What you say describes what would happen to a person walking into the Fukushima reactor unprotected for a length of time. It doesn't describe what would happen from eating a steak with 7 times the legal limit of radiation.

I was given a license by the NRC to handle radioactive materials so I'm somewhat of an expert on this based on all the training I went through to get my license.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
It won't kill you right away.

If you actually get severely contaminated, most likely you will form cancerous tumors in various locations over the next decade.

If you are going to make kids anytime soon, they have a high probability to come out deformed or possibly miscarried.

The media tells half the truth when they say "No Immediate Danger", 'Immediate' being the keyword here. Because the real dangers are Long-Term.

It won't screw your life up "immediately", but in the long-term scope of your entire life, yes there are some valid high risk long-term potentials for nightmares to unfold.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pattyngayle

The other two previous replies have been accurate, but i would like to add gene mutations to the mix. The radioactivity breaks apart some of the DNA, which causes mutation, which is not good because genes carry the codes to life.

A "little bit" of radioactivity is everywhere, but it adds up over time, especially when one is periodically exposed to or consumes higher than normal amounts.

new topics

top topics

join