It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Punch a Hole in the Fabric of Time with a "Time Cloak"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is something else. Who ever thought we'd be here. I mean actually here where we are with science. Remember watching Star Trek and it was so futuristic, yet now the original Star Trek's technology has been surpassed. I'm a big Doctor Who fan and now we are beginning to explore the dimensions of space-time. It's really amazing.

On a side-note this is why I like Above Top Secret. Many of my friends tell me that the CIA or whatever alphabet group you want to name, has infiltrated ATS. My response. So what. I like ATS because of articles like this, because of people wanting to find out what is going on. Just wanted to say that.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The way I understand it , the effective result of this discovery ,is rather different to time travel. This sounds more like we have discovered a way of creating a temporal stasis effect in a localised area for a very small amount of time.
That said, this could make for a very interesting comms and computing tool. Also , although I am aware that we can now store anti matter for a considerably longer time thanks to some recent discoveries by boffins in the field, I wonder if the future of this temporal stasis tech might be used to assist in increasing the longevity of kept antimatter in systems which use antimatter as a power source. If this stasis effect could be performed on people effectively , perhaps this will be the gate to the stars!

The possibilities are staggering ! Star and flag for the OP !

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
You can cloak sound and light? I can imagine the military in the future creating ghost-soldiers that are undetectable.

.....Maybe that is what I saw in my garden, on the 16th January, in the evening this year. He was dressed in desert combat gear, was around 6ft+, had a gun and was facing me sideways. He did not see me, and then he vanished. Boom. I wrote it in my diary as it completely freaked me out.
edit on 15-7-2011 by CherryV because: Typos

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This all hails back to the Philadelphia Project, which Einstein was working with the US military to create a ship that could cloak so that german submarines couldnt find it. Supposedly what happened was there was a purple haze and the ship did seem to disappear, it then reappered 300 miles away in Norfolk, V.A., and then disappeared again and reappeared back in Philadelphia minutes later. Most of the crew were sent to mental hospital for going crazy, some screamed about the ship traveling through hell and seeing demons, others say they saw their deckmates melting into the ships hull and dying after fusing into the metal. Not one of the crewmen ever made it out of the booby hatch, and soon thereafter anything they saw was discredited as madmen's mutterings.

Thats one trick Governments use. Lock you away in a mental hospital and ANYTHING you have to say after that is cast aside as the insane babblings of a madman. Its not paranoia talking its fact. EVERYONE knows once you get thrown into a nuthouse, after that anything you have to say gets disregarded and then people say "oh, so you saw a ship teleport and end up 300 miles away and then reappear where it left from, thats SOOOO nice, now be a good little crazy person and take your MEDS!"

*Einstien quit the project after this happened, clearly shaken. He took what the crewman had to say to heart.
edit on 15-7-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: Footnote

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This sounds like one of those highly speculative but theoretically plausible implications of physics. Allthough calculations might show it possible, it will most likely never become a reality. Just like the Alcubierre drive.

But it makes for good science fiction and a great way to draw more attention to science, which means more funding, which means more research towards applications that are actually possible, not to mention useful.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

What are some good things that could come from this?....

I got one: there are those people that are so annoying that you wish you had a mute button like on Xbox, so you could mute people that piss you off instead of having to listen to them talk.

God could I have used this technology the last couple of days! I was on a camp/hiking trip with 3 other people, 1 of whom I wanted to kill after the first hour of meeting him. A mute button would have made the trip A+, instead I have to grade it a B-.... oh well, next time

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now is when the fun begins, just imagine who is using this type of technology at this very moment. Being that this discovery has just gone public. I imagine our military is even more advanced than this. If you want to take it a little further the fact we are able to do this makes you wonder if ET's or even more advanced indigenous races are doing it and hiding in plain sight. Possibilities are endless

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by famalhut
This sounds like one of those highly speculative but theoretically plausible implications of physics. Allthough calculations might show it possible, it will most likely never become a reality. Just like the Alcubierre drive.

According to the abstract of the original paper at Cornell University, they have already successfully demonstrated it experimentally:

Here we present an experimental demonstration of temporal cloaking by applying concepts from the time-space duality between diffraction and dispersive broadening. We characterize the performance of our temporal cloak by detecting the spectral modification of a probe beam due to an optical interaction while the cloak is turned off and on and show that the event is observed when the cloak is turned off but becomes undetectable when the cloak is turned on.

Source: Cornell University Library arXiv.org - Demonstration of temporal cloaking

Cool.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by famalhut

But it makes for good science fiction and a great way to draw more attention to science, which means more funding, which means more research towards applications that are actually possible, not to mention useful.

NO IT'S NOT A THEORY, THEY REALLY DID IT! Granted it was for a very, very brief time but time WAS MANIPULATED.

I think of this like the first flight - it really didn't go too far at first but it changed the world.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Or imagine it being used for spaceflights, the crew held in the temporary stasis so that a years long trip only seems like moments to those affected... Gliese here we come!.......... in a few more years

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ikonoklast
According to the abstract of the original paper at Cornell University, they have already successfully demonstrated it experimentally:

Here we present an experimental demonstration of temporal cloaking by applying concepts from the time-space duality between diffraction and dispersive broadening. We characterize the performance of our temporal cloak by detecting the spectral modification of a probe beam due to an optical interaction while the cloak is turned off and on and show that the event is observed when the cloak is turned off but becomes undetectable when the cloak is turned on.

Source: Cornell University Library arXiv.org - Demonstration of temporal cloaking

Cool.

Originally posted by Daughter2
NO IT'S NOT A THEORY, THEY REALLY DID IT! Granted it was for a very, very brief time but time WAS MANIPULATED.

I think of this like the first flight - it really didn't go too far at first but it changed the world.

Well damn, you're right. It seems this has actually been demonstrated, allthough they were able to sustain it for just a tiny period of time, but still. I regretfully admit I responded like a boring knee-jerk denialist and I have to apologize. I should've read the article more carefully.
edit on 15-7-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I haven't spent alot of time pondering this but:
If a tree falls in the forest; and nobody hears it does it make a sound? Yes;

If an event takes place in time and nobody sees it does it still occur? of course it does.It has not been "temporally cloaked" . I would question the rest of the article before accepting "temporal cloaking and time manipulaton" at face value, just sayin' I see prospective holes in this..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Watts

Indeed ! Hell , can you imagine how much simpler food storage would become in a temporaly isolated room? Stuff refrigeration , to hell with freeze drying, reconstituted processed , packaged muck... have a fresh apple, every day , even if the last time your family(or quatermaster) left thier bunker, home or AMPH (armoured mobile personel habitat(in the event of atomic biological or chemical attack)) and did some shopping was about half a centuary ago !

One question occurs to me. This temporal cloak right? It effectively seals off an event from being observed, because that event happened outside the normal flow of space time correct? Has anyone tried to figure out if taking the object out of space time, also prevents that entire area from being accessed from outside while the field or energy which creates this effect is running? I guess what I am saying is, does hiding something temporaly also hide it spatialy , and does that therefore mean that the event cannot be observed from within our space time paradigm, or does it merely mean that the flow of time around the event prevents the event from being witnessed, but still allows one to witness that SOMETHING is there?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So does this go to support the holographic principle ?

I can just imagine if events could be taken out for any length of time, how much would the technology be used to manipulate our understanding of the world....

World war I +II never happend.

Nor did the banking crisis,

You never had a cat called fluffy !

Of course at this point I am merely speculating, surely if it were possible nobody would deny us our history, would they ?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

perhaps this will be the gate to the stars!

Maybe the stargates yo the stars.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Does this mean time does exist?

So many have been saying time doesn't exist?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
THIS IS OLD TECHNOLOGY!! They have been using this tech for years. The military is decades ahead of the public, they get to use tech way before the public does. Their is video proof that they have been using it for a long while. Every piece of technology that's out for the public is out dated. They dont want the public to have technology that matches theirs. They are beyond silicone.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If you ever want to know what's coming down the line just take a look of some of Tom Clancy's work.

(Warning: Violence)

This guy knows his stuff.

-AS-

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
Does this mean time does exist?

So many have been saying time doesn't exist?

This is a relevant question. here a quote maybe you be interested:

Surprising as it may be to most non-scientists and even to some scientists, Albert Einstein concluded in his later years that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously. In 1952, in his book Relativity, in discussing Minkowski's Space World interpretation of his theory of relativity, Einstein writes:

Since there exists in this four dimensional structure [space-time] no longer any sections which represent "now" objectively, the concepts of happening and becoming are indeed not completely suspended, but yet complicated. It appears therefore more natural to think of physical reality as a four dimensional existence, instead of, as hitherto, the evolution of a three dimensional existence.

Source

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Can all of you people answer me. How does this have _ANYTHING_ to do with time? Anything, in any way, whatsoever? All they are doing is bending light around an area (like how I disparaged that impressive technological accomplishment?). How does that equate to anything to do with time, time dilation, the passage of time etc? Time is still flowing within the area that the light (slowed down & sped up light) is bent around. The probe just wraps around the event and does not register the event. How does that have to do with time???????

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join