It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking of becoming a Freemason.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
There is no wine allowed on the Lodge grounds in Florida ever.

Getreadyalready meet networkdude, networkdude meet getreadyalready.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by getreadyalready
There is no wine allowed on the Lodge grounds in Florida ever.

Getreadyalready meet networkdude, networkdude meet getreadyalready.
Auggie, I'm beginning to think only Guinness can give you the strength you need to continually show how wrong Pepsi is in these threads. Which is probably why we sweet tea drinkers have given up the fight.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Auggie, I'm beginning to think only Guinness can give you the strength you need to continually show how wrong Pepsi is in these threads. Which is probably why we sweet tea drinkers have given up the fight.

I do like a spot (or three) of the dark stuff. It is like 'liquid bread' and perhaps the carb-overload is the source of my amazing obliviousness.

I cordially invite all of you to join me in the East..........................for adult beverages.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

When I sat in the South, I brewed Sweet Tea and poured it over ice, and the brethren lived in harmony.

Nowadays, they buy Red Diamond in the gallon jugs at the grocery store, and they sit it on the table haphazardly. What is the world coming to?

I'm thinking Guiness and Bass is the way to go. It should be worked into the degree work, and it should be hand delivered to the WM chair in the East!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
What?! Am I hearing correct? The Master's wages in your Jurisdiction are corn, SWEET TEA, and oil? I assume an insulin chaser?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by no1smootha
What?! Am I hearing correct? The Master's wages in your Jurisdiction are corn, SWEET TEA, and oil? I assume an insulin chaser?

they are the fellowcraft wages of their jurisdiction. IIRC, a master's wages are whatever wage the master decides to work on.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Yes, you are correct those are the wages of a Fellowcraft, at least two thirds of them. I was trying to interject a little humor but fell flat.
edit on 15-7-2011 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by no1smootha

I know, I made the same joke in a different post a little while ago

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If you are allowed, can anyone explain to me a little bit about the degrees? Things like how would you move up? What degree do you start on, what is it called? And how long it usually takes to move up.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
In my Obedience the progression is slower than in mainstream Freemasonry. It takes a candidate about a year between degrees as they receive Masonic education and present their own original Masonic Works in Lodge. The first step in the Symbolic Lodge of Masonry is the Entered Apprentice, next Fellow Craft, and finally the Master Mason degree. The degrees of the Scottish Rite also require time to pass and philosophical Works before progressing to higher degrees.

In mainstream Freemasonry, a Brother can progress to the next degree as quickly as one month assuming they are proficient in the catechism of the proceeding degree. Progression through the high degrees of the Scottish Rite takes three days.

Edit to add: All the way in a day classes in mainstream Freemasonry allow a candidate to progress from uninitiated to Master Mason in a single day! (This practice is the bane of Freemasonry IMHO)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by no1smootha
In my Obedience the progression is slower than in mainstream Freemasonry. It takes a candidate about a year between degrees as they receive Masonic education and present their own original Masonic Works in Lodge. The first step in the Symbolic Lodge of Masonry is the Entered Apprentice, next Fellow Craft, and finally the Master Mason degree. The degrees of the Scottish Rite also require time to pass and philosophical Works before progressing to higher degrees.

In mainstream Freemasonry, a Brother can progress to the next degree as quickly as one month assuming they are proficient in the catechism of the proceeding degree. Progression through the high degrees of the Scottish Rite takes three days.

Edit to add: All the way in a day classes in mainstream Freemasonry allow a candidate to progress from uninitiated to Master Mason in a single day! (This practice is the bane of Freemasonry IMHO)

Thank you, and yes I can see how it would be the bane. But I never knew that.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Personally, I feel that any lodge that offers all three degrees in a single day has no idea what Freemasonry is about and should no longer be considered regular.

In my opinion, a candidate should not only show proficiency in each degree be being able to answer the prescribed questions, but should also have done at least one piece of floor work in his degree before being passed or raised.

It irks me no end when a Brother becomes a MM without even having participated in any working. Next year when I am WM, I shall enforce this in my Lodge, and hopefully set a precedent.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

So can you actually refute anything I posted or are you just going to attack me? I love you anti-Masons catch all "You're not high enough" or (as we see now) "You're just a follower". Many organizations have their constitution and by-laws on their website somewhere (one just needs to know where to look, but sadly so many are just too lazy to do actual research and just take the easy way of just accusing without facts). Our rules, regulations, statutes, by-laws, and constitutions are quite clear on every detail of that particular organization.

I'm only a follower? Hmmm....I guess those two years I presided were really nothing. No, no, what am I thinking? I'm only a follower because you say so. You don't me nor what I've done in Freemasonry. How can a non-member think they can tell an actual member how the internal operations and management work, particularly when that member is involved in such operations? It's quite maddening.

What do you know of the "bigger picture of Masonry"?

Again you bring up politicians in referencing something sinister with Freemasonry, yet you have not mentioned who, the what, the why, or the how. Quit using generalities and lets here some examples, some specifics, if you have any.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
Personally, I feel that any lodge that offers all three degrees in a single day has no idea what Freemasonry is about and should no longer be considered regular.

In my opinion, a candidate should not only show proficiency in each degree be being able to answer the prescribed questions, but should also have done at least one piece of floor work in his degree before being passed or raised.

It irks me no end when a Brother becomes a MM without even having participated in any working. Next year when I am WM, I shall enforce this in my Lodge, and hopefully set a precedent.

Yea I can see your point. What is a WM, by the way?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjleonid12
What is a WM, by the way?

Worshipful Master. The individual who runs his repsective lodge for a year (hopefully for only one).

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
Personally, I feel that any lodge that offers all three degrees in a single day has no idea what Freemasonry is about and should no longer be considered regular
In my jurisdiction one can only get "all the way in a day" degrees with the special dispensation of the Grand Master of my state. Generally it is only done when the candidate in question is about to go off to military service and the time table needs to be escalated.

As Chris Hodapp points out though, such masons DO take the same oaths and obligations as any other brother, they just haven't had time to memorize and internalize such. But they are no less a brother than any other member.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I went from EA to FC in about 2 weeks. The only reason I did my second so soon was because of a no show. My lodge and a couple of other lodges had gone to a sister lodge to watch this degree. The brother that was to be raised phoned and could not make it at the last minute. So instead of doing a Masonic lesson. MY WM and the WM of the lodge we where visiting ask me if I thought I was ready, my mentor said yea he's ready and I agreed, so I did it, I nailed it, was the term used my by WM afterwords.

Though our Worshipful Master did get a rap on the knuckles from Grand lodge for moving me up so quickly, they say it should be a minimum of a month for each degree.

Since then I have done some miner floor work, I have asked the questions a couple of times.
I am mentored daily for an hour or two in the mornings every day, and I am glad that.
That it was one of the reasons why I was asked if I thought I was ready for the second degree.

I could have my 3rd sometime before Christmas if I want to do my MM at another lodge, or I can wait and do it at our lodge in the spring. I'm of two minds on this though and I think I will play it by ear for now.
Once I have reached MM, I plain on going into the York Rite. My goal is Knights Templar.

I do have a question, can one belong to the Scottish Rite as well as the York Rite?

edit to add,
we have lots of booze and meat pies and beans
but no food or drink is allowed in the Lodge it's self, only in our banquet hall.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 16/7/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Yes , you can join the York Rite if you are in the Scottish Rite and vice versa.

Those who complete all the degrees in the York Rite and the Scottish Rite are called "full circle masons".

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I can understand raising a Master Mason quickly if they are being deployed or are terminally ill or even to save a Lodge with dwindling membership but in my former jurisdiction "all the way in a day" classes were mostly done to retain members who weren't putting in the effort to memorize the catechism.

As I recall Hoddap himself was raised all the way in a day proving that at least sometimes a high quality brother is the result but I wonder, if he had to do it over if he wouldn't prefer the traditional route with a mentor.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Yes, one can belong to York Rite as well as Scottish Rite. It is fairly common. The lessons are significantly different. I am not a member of either one, but I gather that York Rite is the more ancient and mysterious Rite, while Scottish Rite is more along the lines of the new Testament, and it is the one everybody sees publicly as the 33rd Degree Masons.

I was a victim/beneficiary of the accelerated degree work. I didn't want it to be that way, and I vote against it every chance I get. I think brothers should return catechisms and show their proficiency in the preceding degree before advancing. I went on from my 1-day degrees to become a WM, and to mentor other brothers, and I am often called upon to play different roles in other Lodges and/or degrees because of my ability to learn a role in a few short minutes of studying, but I still don't think we should allow 1-day degrees.

From what I hear of the Scottish Rite, it is possible to advance from 3rd Degree MM to 32 Degree Scottish Rite in two weekends (even 1 weekend on occasion.) To me, that limits the value of the whole thing and cheapens it.

As for me personally though, I was a little disappointed that the things they were claiming to do to me during the degree work, were actually not being done. I would have appreciated it more, if it was more serious, and more severe, and more literal. When I get a chance to "receive" someone in the degree work, I make sure they have something to show for it. I have been criticized for that, but I believe we should take it literally and our words should ring true. When we conduct a degree, and the initiates are questioned, I won't let anyone whisper in their ear. I want their true and honest answer. I might prompt them to answer a little more if they struggle, but I hate it when someone bends over and whispers in their ear!

Sauron, since you haven't been through the MM degree yet, I won't say too much more, but I wish I could be there for it. It is really what brings everything together, and it is a wonderful experience! Trust your handlers.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join