It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Your Electric Meter Has Been Changed Recently You Might Be Under Surveillance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Silver Spring Net

Here is the link to the website he is using for his presentation. Some of the info he talks about seems a bit off when compared to the info on the website itself.

Either or, tkae from it waht you want.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

We have a test system at work and foil doesn't block the signal. It is a radio signal. As for people who are sensitive to the signals then it doesn't matter where they are in the world there will be radio signals unless you live in a farraday cage.

If you were to find a way to block the signal they will send someone out to see what the problem is and you could then be charged for tampering with their meter. They will charge you for the cost of the investigation and the labor for the time spent for investgation and those of us that work with these meters make a decent wage.
edit on 10-7-2011 by isitjustme because: spelling

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I work for a company that uses radio signals in many of its products. When these smart meters rolled out, we got many calls saying the devices no longer worked-some even after several years of successful use. Some of our engineers did extensive testing to locate the source of the interference and these meters were found to be the problem. The Utility companies refused to comply with the request they change frequencies since our products predated theirs by several years. The request was made by private users of our products, not the company I work for. They were told in so many words that they are the Utility Company, so they can do whatever they want to to ensure the access to their product and keep the utilities going.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
In the "Pumping Irony" department:

Imagine being a meter reader employed for a long time at your very large local electric co. You are layed off due to "downsizing".

Then comes a young 3rd party company employee to install at your home the meter that took away your and your co-workers jobs. Ouch.

I don't think paranoia is called for in the meters themselves (yet); but foreign outsourcing, export of manufacturing infrastructure and labor reducing technology are kicking many of our collective a$$es.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BanMePlz

They aren't monitoring what and when you use your electric appliances. They can only monitor the amount of load (total amount of amps drawn at one time).

Electricity is made up of voltage and amps (current). Voltage doesn't make a meter turn amps or current does make it spin. There are a lot more things to worry about than your electric meter.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I don't think the new digital meters are a surveillance device, but I do worry about their high inaccuracies and overcharging because of these devices. Many news stories have came out with claims of overcharging, some even doubling the rates charged compared to old meters. It is a problem that needs to be looked into no doubt about that.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

here is a link to the smart meters that I use at work and a little about how they work.

www.elstermetering.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by keltdruid65

Interesting. We received a smart meter a couple of months ago. Is it possible that this interferes with our phone signals? In the room nearest the meter outside I have trouble on cell, wired and portable 2.4 GHz.

How can I find out what frequency the little jewel is on, or is that waaayyyyy above top secret?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

I would think it depends on which US state you live in, but I think the FCC has to divulge which radio frequencies are being used in the public domain.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

The problems that we have with people getting higher bills is due to the fact that these electronic meters are replacing old mechanical meters that slow as they age. Like anything mechanical, as they age they slow down. If you check your electric meter manufacturer and the model you can go online and find the age of your meter. Most in our area are from the 60's and 70's.

There is a way to calculate your useage for yourself. Look for ohm's Law online. Your house is a 120/240 volt system. If you check your instantaneous amp draw and mutiply that by voltage (120 volts for everything other than heating and A/C and probably stove and dryer which are 240 volt). In short....volts x amps = watts. Your meter deals with KWH. kilowatt hours or 1000 watthours.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Personally I think we should get a discount... imagine all the money they are saving because of all the union meter readers that they can kick out the door

More jobs gone...

Nevada Power put in a huge solar collector out here. Then they tell us they need a price increase because solar power costs more than the old fashioned way...

I am building a large deck over half my pool and yard... I will put solar panels on that and my roof as soon as I can. Then these leeches will have to pay ME for the extra power
(A Nevada law that says the power company must buy access power albeit at wholesale price)

Looking for a good solar pump now for the pool filters

As far as surveillance... they need to get in line behind the FBI, CIA, NSA, and DIA... my street is crowded with all those black SUV's

edit on 10-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
Don't forget about his drop down comment box letter!

Energy Customer's Name
Street Address
City State Zip

TO:
Energy Provider
Street Address
City State Zip

Hi Heyyo.
Would this letter be a legal 'out' in Australia?
Theres been alot of opposition to them here too, but its all been met with, "You have no choice, Everyone will have their meters changed to these".
Any advice would be appreciated!

Date of letter

NOTICE OF NO CONSENT TO TRESPASS AND SURVEILLANCE, NOTICE OF LIABILITY

Dear (Energy Provider) and all agents, officers, employees, contractors and interested parties,

If you intend to install a "Smart Meter" or any activity monitoring device at the above address, you and all other parties are hereby denied consent for installation and use of all such device on the above property and installation and use of any activity monitoring device is hereby refused and prohibited. Informed consent is legally required for installation of any surveillance device and any device that will collect and transmit private and personal data to undisclosed and unauthorized parties for undisclosed and unauthorized purposes. Authorization for sharing of personal and private information may only be given by the originator and subject of that information. That authorization is hereby denied and refused with regard to the above property and all its occupants. "Smart Meters" violate the law and cause endangerment to residents by the following factors:
1. They individually identify electrical devices inside the home and record when they are operated causing invasion of privacy.
2. They monitor household activity and occupancy in violation of rights and domestic security.
3. They transmit wireless signals which may be intercepted by unauthorized and unknown parties. Those signals can be used to monitor behavior and occupancy and they can be used by criminals to aid criminal activity against the occupants.
4. Data about occupant's daily habits and activities are collected, recorded and stored in permanent databases which are accessed by parties not authorized or invited to know and share that private data.
5. Those with access to the smart meter databases can review a permanent history of household activities complete with calendar and time-of-day metrics to gain a highly invasive and detailed view of the lives of the occupants.
6. Those databases may be shared with, or fall into the hands of criminals, blackmailers, law enforcement, private hackers of wireless transmissions, power company employees, and other unidentified parties who may act against the interests of the occupants under metered surveillance.
7. "Smart Meters" are, by definition, surveillance devices which violate Federal and State wiretapping laws by recording and storing databases of private and personal activities and behaviors without the consent or knowledge of those people who are monitored.
8. It is possible for example, with analysis of certain "Smart Meter" data, for unauthorized and distant parties to determine medical conditions, sexual activities, physical locations of persons within the home, vacancy patterns and personal information and habits of the occupants.
9. Your company has not adequately disclosed the particular recording and transmission capabilities of the smart meter, or the extent of the data that will be recorded, stored and shared, or the purposes to which the data will and will not be put.

I forbid, refuse and deny consent of any installation and use of any monitoring, eavesdropping, and surveillance devices on my property, my place of residence and my place of occupancy. That applies to and includes "Smart Meters" and activity monitoring devices of any and all kinds. Any attempt to install any such device directed at me, other inhabitants, guests, my property or residence will constitute trespass, stalking, wiretapping and unlawful surveillance, all prohibited and punishable by law through criminal and civil complaints. All persons, government agencies and private organizations responsible for installing or operating monitoring devices directed at or recording my activities, which I have not specifically authorized in writing, will be fully liable for any violations, intrusions, harm or negative consequences caused or made possible by those devices whether those negative consequences are justified by "law" or not..

This is legal notice. After this delivery the liabilities listed above may not be denied or avoided by parties named and implied in this notice.

Notice to principal is notice to agent and notice to agent is notice to principal. All rights reserved.

Signature

Name of energy user and/or customer

He's given everyone permission to use this in the video. It's your legal 'opt out' notification to your local power utility.
edit on 10-7-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

Hi Heyyo,
Do you know if this letter would also be legal in Australia?
Theres been alot of opposition to these meters here too, but we have been constantly told "We have no choice, Everyone will have one of these meters installed..."
Any advice would be appreciated

edit on 10-7-2011 by jewells because: Didn't work!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That's NOT the worst part, the worst part is that anyone can BUY this data, it's up for grabs for anyone that has the cash to know what you do on a daily basis and all historical data.

OP, what "data" is up for grabs for anyone who wants to buy it? The way I'm understanding this (according to the second vid) is that the Smart Meters are monitoring specific electrical usage and that the meters can determine if you're using a power tool or something of that nature. It isn't saying the meters can tape record conversations or that they are providing a live video feed of the inside of your residence. Did I miss something in these vids?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The second video does nothing but make allegations. This man doesn't provide any evidence that what he says is true. He makes no attempt to validate these claims of his.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jewells

8. It is possible for example, with analysis of certain "Smart Meter" data, for unauthorized and distant parties to determine medical conditions, sexual activities, physical locations of persons within the home, vacancy patterns and personal information and habits of the occupants.

"Sexual activities?" How can a Smart Meter be used to determine someone's sexual activities? This sounds like fear mongering to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
reply to post by jewells

"Sexual activities?" How can a Smart Meter be used to determine someone's sexual activities? This sounds like fear mongering to me.

Lol NightGypsy, I was quoting 'Heyyo's quote.
Made me laugh tho

Although in seriousness, everyone seems to be debating the privacy issue, whilst I am really concerned with the health implications of these little buggers.
The release of the studies findings (4pm report, 1st video), & the rewording of these (6pm report), shows the frightening reality of how the information we receive is neither accurate nor unbiased.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HologramDenier

They transmit data every 30 mins on your usage. This means its possible for an energy supplier...or 3rd party to work out your daily lifestyle. They will be able to estimate when you

Smart meters may be smart...but they really arent much use if the transmitted data is never used to produce your bill. Companies such as First Utility in UK are renowned for fitting smart meters and then estimating peoples bills for months and months. People have been forced to pay rediculous amounts that they have estimated or threatened with disconnection.

Hi Holo, I don't understand how 'smart meters' need to estimate your bills. Isn't that one of their key selling points for these things??? They should have exact usage amounts for billing ,shouldn't they?? Thats outrageous if thats true
edit on 10-7-2011 by jewells because: Gah!!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
UK. I moved in to a new flat.
I have a pay card meter.
I ask't them to chandge it.
they never did! 8 mounths.
they can read it any time they like.
Gas and electrics.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thats the point, the energy company should not need to estimate the usage. However despite the introduction allready in UK of smart meters by some companies, this is exactly what is happening. It appears that they are having "unforseen problems", and therefore the very opposite of one of the things they are supposed to prevent is actually happening. Maybe the teething troubles will all be sorted out eventually, but to be honest, I foresee a lot of problems.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Mine was changed a LONG time ago, and no one else got theirs changed close by me.
I love how they made me get one then they upped my bill.
I get to pay for surveilance I don't want, and nuclear power plants I don't want near me either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join