It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: An Amazing New Technology Is Sweeping The Streets Of New York...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

WARNING: An Amazing New Technology Is Sweeping The Streets Of New York...

www .businessinsider.com

At dinner the other night, the talk turned to New York--the rise of the tech sector and the renaissance of the city itself.

To lifelong residents like me, the city's transformation over the past several decades has been nothing short of remarkable.

Hopefully, the city's current budget woes won't lead to a reversal of this trend.

Waxing on the renaissance topic, one successful NYC entrepreneur at the dinner startled everyone by announcing that things had come so far that...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
state.tn.us

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Combining different state driving databases is something which is going to make having unpaid Parking Tickets more difficult for New Yorkers apparently.

The vehicle does not have to be the offending one in question, just owned by the same person, according to this article.

While I am not a New York resident this does not necessarily only affect residents of the "Big Apple" as it means it will spread outwards, it has in some areas already, due to the Real ID Act.

Quote from : WAR NING: An Amazing New Technology Is Sweeping The Streets Of New York...Page 2

Every evening, the man explained, the marshals' agents hit the streets in their tow trucks, with one truck assigned to scan one side of the street, and another truck assigned to scan the other. The agents plug the plate numbers into a computer, and--thanks to a recent database integration--the computer scans not just the car bearing that particular plate but all other cars owned by the owner of that car. The agents scan thousands of plates a night and usually end up towing about 30 cars.

I asked about the cross-state issue: How did the marshals nail an owner who had cars registered in two different states? Weren't the databases separate?

The databases used to be separate, the man explained. But now, thanks to an intra-state agreement, New York has acquired the data held in the Connecticut, New Jersey, and several other key states' databases, which is updated each week. That data allows the marshals to bust delinquents who own cars registered out of state.

Love to hear people's thoughts on this particular article.

www .businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
As Creepy As It Is Having Marshall's Scan Cars At Night, I Think It Just Tells People That If You Have Unpaid Parking Tickets You May Want To Pay Them.

These Scanners Are Nothing New But The New Inter-State Database Is Something That Will Become National Soon.

United States Of Revenue Collectors - Sigh!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Hahaha, I'm glad i dont live in America. Thats just downright ambushing.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Amazing new technology?

In Australia the Police have number plate recognition cameras for five(odd) years.

The Police set the camera up on the side of the road and then have a group of Police a hundred metres down the road to pull over cars that have been flagged by the computer linked to the camera.

If the registration(tax) hasn't been paid or the car (or owner) have traffic/parking infringements, then the car is pulled over and action is undertaken.

Surprisingly, the system has been received well by the public in general. It gets the old, crappy cars off the road that are uninsured/unregistered.

edit on 5/7/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Well we cant have people getting away with parking fines now can we.....but wouldnt it be easier to just go to the address of the non payment cheat and save all the resouces they are chucking at this. Using two trucks, scanning equipement, holding area for the hijacked cars, database admin and integration, administration of the scheme etc etc

Sound expensive to me! but then I doubt this is about saving money and getting fines paid

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Of course.

Unpaid parking tickets should be paid.

But the interstate cooperation between databases is one step closer.

One step closer to total Federal control of each state's databases.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
Hahaha, I'm glad i dont live in America. Thats just downright ambushing.

Not to worry mate.

Australia follows in the footsteps of everything America does.

Sooner or later you will have to deal with it there as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Here in America you're not allowed to drive without insurance.

Your license is suspended.

The car insurance will notify the Drivers License office.

Then your tag is revoked.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by coffeesniffer
Well we cant have people getting away with parking fines now can we.....but wouldnt it be easier to just go to the address of the non payment cheat and save all the resouces they are chucking at this. Using two trucks, scanning equipement, holding area for the hijacked cars, database admin and integration, administration of the scheme etc etc

Sound expensive to me! but then I doubt this is about saving money and getting fines paid

Yes, but according to many people, diplomats at the United Nations park anywhere.

And those tickets go unpaid due to Diplomatic Immunity.

If only New York and America forced the issue those unpaid parking tickets might pay a lot.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If they went after those sort of people they would get my support but i feel the reasons for this sort of sceme have little to do with revenue retrieval

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Amazing new technology?

In Australia the Police have number plate recognition cameras for five(odd) years.

The Police set the camera up on the side of the road and then have a group of Police a hundred metres down the road to pull over cars that have been flagged by the computer linked to the camera.

If the registration(tax) hasn't been paid or the car (or owner) have traffic/parking infringements, then the car is pulled over and action is undertaken.

Surprisingly, the system has been received well by the public in general. It gets the old, crappy cars off the road that are uninsured/unregistered.

In the uk this is built into alot of police cars.. All they have to do is drive behind you or even past you in the opposite direction.. It scans all number plates and if anything is not right.. I.e no tax, insurance, mot, wanted driver etc.. They catch you there and then...

Nothing new about this technology, we have had it for many years, although it is alot more widespread now than in previous years..

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
may come as a surprise to americans....but your tech is and always has been 5-10 yrs behind everywhere else.i see it when i am on holiday.buy and ship a lot of things back home.but nver techie things,they are always years out of date nad look cheap.however someone in japan could say the same about everybody else.
but on the point for years now here in uk police number plate cameras can issue a ticket if they drive past your car,they can also check all insurance databases,insurance is a legal requirement here,so in a nightmare scenario if you have a car that has no insurance,no road tax(another requirement) mot certificate,(yearly mandatory roadworthyness test) and a suspended licence,you could be issued with 3 or 4 fines,your car impounded and or crushed,points on your driving licence(leading to a ban),a prison sentence could follow

mind you if you cant afford to keep your car up to spec you should take the bus

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by vipertruck99

It doesn't come as a surprise to me.

I didn't name the article originally.

I know for a fact America is behind many different countries.

Education, technology, political knowledge, you name it.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Interesting indeed. It's all about the revenue stream. First it was the highly debated red light cameras and remote speed traps and now this. Is it evolution at its most devious?

In its purest form I think its a good idea to go after the habitual violators who are long overdue on their parking violations. Staffing cuts have hit many city depts. and this tech. could be good. I just don't want this to morph into towing ones car if you're two days late on your first parking ticket. Perhaps they could also use this tech. to tow cars of those who are way past due on child support and alimony.

In my town, there is no overnight street parking. I accidentally left a car on the street one night and found a ticket waiting for me. Upon reading the ticket, I discovered that failure to pay within 24 hours would result in an additional $15 for each and every day thereafter. I got the message and paid my ticket right away and haven't left the car in the street since.

Scofflaws don't get the message for some reason. Perhaps losing a car will send the message home to all of them.

Scofflaws beware!!

edit on 5-7-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Not only are ALL vehicle scanned, but your plate is recorded with time and location.

Big brother has been here for years!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think people would be a lot more accepting of the intrusive manner in which vehicle law is enforced, if the databases which are operated by those doing the towing, were by the minuite updated. The moment a fine is payed, that should be the end of it. The men who tow should be using the same information, at the same refresh rate, as the people to whom the fines must be paid. Thats not a debate point, its just how it is. If database connectivity of that nature is not possible for economic reasons , then the towing which results in an innocent persons vehicle being taken away, must be paid for , same day , by the state, and not by the vehicle owner.

If it costs the government money they do not want to spend, making it thier problem when thier systems fail to operate efficiently, then the problems will be resolved. If the public are the only ones affected by such failiure, then nothing will change at an acceptable rate.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Interesting indeed. It's all about the revenue stream. First it was the highly debated red light cameras and remote speed traps and now this. Is it evolution at its most devious?

In its purest form I think its a good idea to go after the habitual violators who are long overdue on their parking violations. Staffing cuts have hit many city depts. and this tech. could be good. I just don't want this to morph into towing ones car if you're two days late on your first parking ticket. Perhaps they could also use this tech. to tow cars of those who are way past due on child support and alimony.

In my town, there is no overnight street parking. I accidentally left a car on the street one night and found a ticket waiting for me. Upon reading the ticket, I discovered that failure to pay within 24 hours would result in an additional $15 for each and every day thereafter. I got the message and paid my ticket right away and haven't left the car in the street since.

Scofflaws don't get the message for some reason. Perhaps losing a car will send the message home to all of them.

Scofflaws beware!!

edit on 5-7-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

OMG I spit up milk all over my laptop!

That white whale made my day!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Amazing new technology?

Thats if you are driving though, in which I WOULD BE GLAD TO SEE YOU PULLED OVER. I pay insurance, I dont want someone to hit me who isnt responsible enough to maintain the registration of their vehicle. But doing it while you're sleeping.....Only In America.
edit on 5-7-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Here in America you're not allowed to drive without insurance.

Your license is suspended.

The car insurance will notify the Drivers License office.

Then your tag is revoked.

Regarding the program described in the original OP, I've seen the very same system being utilized in Philadelphia on a t.v. program called "Parking Wars." If I'm not mistaken, under their system it takes a threshold of $600 in unpaid fines to trigger a vehicle being booted and/or towed. IMO, with budget shortfalls being what they are across this nation, what's wrong with collecting unpaid fines of past violators? Aren't they obligated to pay their fines just the same as those people who pay them on time?

By the way, diplomatic immunity SUCKS! Foreign diplomats should be required to abide by the same laws as the rest of us and they should pay their fines just like anybody else.

On the other hand, I am completely against installing cameras at stop lights just to increase revenues as some have talked about in this thread. I feel the same way about sobriety check points. (Reminds me of a "papers please" style of police state.)

Now, when it comes to driving without insurance in America, I assure you that many people do it despite what the law requires. It's far more common that one might think and that's why I carry "Uninsured Motorist" protection as part of my automobile policy, as do most people here in Texas.

<<   2 >>

join