It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega Tsunami The Hilina slump

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

When large chunks of mountains or volcanoes slide into the ocean that is a Mega-tsunami that will be very very huge and there are many places around the world where this will happen eventually. Temperature or sea-level has little to no impact on the rock buried within the mountain.

I think the Sea-level may have a large effect on just how much water is underneath far beneath the soil into the rock layer.

Since a higher sea level means more under-ground water in the surrounding area and elevations depending on Sea level; also means more Rain.

I think a lot of the Rain Seeps down into the ground could't that also cause water to pool underneath the ground.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is a subject that really is fascinating so if your interested you should look up some research on it to see what's going on in the world of erosion. I'll put up some links later when I log back on.

Great post though and it's nice to see something not related to earthquakes

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

I just had to do a little digging on this one as it is said to affect the UK IF it was to happen.
Well this is one of the first links i came across.

La Palma Tsunami: the mega-hyped tsunami story

Sorry I could not enter any ex content as they do not allow you to copy text from there site.

I have heard about this "mega Tsunami" from La Palma in the Canary Islands. But after reading the above information I feel a bit more at ease.

And here is another link, this one describes how Massive flank failures of island stratovolcanoes are extremely rare phenomena and none have occurred within recorded history.

Recent numerical modeling studies, forecasting mega tsunami generation from postulated, massive slope failures of Cumbre Vieja in La Palma, Canary Islands, and Kilauea, in Hawaii, have been based on incorrect assumptions of volcanic island slope instability, source dimensions, speed of failure and tsunami coupling mechanisms. Incorrect input parameters and treatment of wave energy propagation and dispersion, have led to overestimates of tsunami far field effects. Inappropriate media attention and publicity to such probabilistic results have created unnecessary anxiety that mega tsunamis may be imminent and may devastate densely populated coastlines at locations distant from the source - in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Link to above content

Also from above link:

Similarly, there is evidence that major landslides have occurred in the Hawaiian islands in the past. The Kilauea volcano on the island of Hawaii was identified as another site where a major flank collapse would generate a mega tsunami (Ward, 2001). Although no specific time frame for these postulated collapses has been provided, it was inferred that they could be induced by the next volcanic eruption of Cumbre Vieja on La Palma, or by the next major earthquake near the Kilauea volcano in Hawaii.

So I guess anything is possible. Its like a game of Russia rulet......evntually your going to loose!
edit on 4/7/11 by boo1981 because: Edit to add info and links.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It just doesn’t seem like a reasonable response... a tsunami of that size from a small slither of land.. comparatively speaking.

The amount of land that moved for the Indonesian quake, or Japanese quake feels like it would dwarf that Hawaiian slither.. both quakes were large plates tilting, where as this is just land sliding into the ocean...

... i mean if you drop a rock in a bucket you get a fast splash and small ripples.. . if you tip the bucket sideways you get massive amounts of water shifting.

edit on 4-7-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

And here is another link, this one describes how Massive flank failures of island stratovolcanoes are extremely rare phenomena and none have occurred within recorded history.

The flanks have failed in recent times.

On November 29, 1975, a 37 mile (60 km) wide section of the Hilina Slump plunged 11 feet (3 m) into the ocean, widening the crack by 26 feet (7.9 m). This movement caused a 7.2 magnitude earthquake and a 48 foot (15 m) high tsunami. Oceanfront properties were washed off their foundations in Punaluu. Two deaths were reported at Halape, and 19 other persons were injured.

On April 2, 1868, an earthquake in this area with a magnitude estimated between 7.25 and 7.75 rocked the southeast coast of Hawaii. It triggered a landslide on the slopes of the Mauna Loa volcano, five miles (8 km) north of Pahala, killing 31 persons. A tsunami claimed 46 additional lives.

Recent undersea measurements show that an undersea "bench" has formed a buttress at the forefront of the Hilina Slump, and this buttress may tend to reduce the likelihood of future catastrophic detachment.This is just a"maybe" for now the buttress is holding, the question is for how long?

Here is a good documentary on the subject.link

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish
reply to post by kro32

There are indeed, however this slump could devastate the entire U.S. pacific coast and no one seems to know about it.

‘Could’ being the operative word.
You ‘could’ get hit by a bus, or you ‘could’ have a heart attack (more likely imho no stats sup.)
Due to it’s location I believe there would be plenty of warning.
Eg. Fukishima incident = 8 hours to East Coast Australia = 3-4 inch (yes, inch!) change in sea/surge level.
Poor bloke with the ruler by the sea :/
I absolutely don’t want to be called a debunker on this one, but seriously settle a bit.
Panicking will get you -----------------------------------(= flat line)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

I'm well aware that just being alive will get you killed.
Not trying to create panic just sharing information.I believe with recent geological activity in the region this slump should be looked at.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It IS interesting information, as all information is.
Possibly adding a ‘timeline to impact' would help people to keep calm, instead of inducing those heart attacks, which just ‘appear’ to come from nowhere…just a thought.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Derek Elsworth has done some interesting research on the role of interior fluid pressures in triggering collapse.
link

link

His research proves that water pressure in volcano's causes instability for landslides.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
theyve been discussing this sort of thing happening forever, like the Big One hitting california, obviously eventually someone will be right with all the changes the earth goes through over time

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

It just doesn’t seem like a reasonable response... a tsunami of that size from a small slither of land.. comparatively speaking. The amount of land that moved for the Indonesian quake, or Japanese quake feels like it would dwarf that Hawaiian slither.. both quakes were large plates tilting, where as this is just land sliding into the ocean... ... i mean if you drop a rock in a bucket you get a fast splash and small ripples.. . if you tip the bucket sideways you get massive amounts of water shifting.

You need to look at the data.
Look Lituya Bay 1958, Alaska wave 520 meters high(1,720feet).Earth quake caused Tsunamis cause waves less then 10-15 meters.here we have somthing ten times high.This was just a small chunk of land(30 million cubic meters) comparatively speaking.A 4,760 cubic mile chunk of Hawaii is breaking away at the rate of 4 inches per year.
link

All the conditions for a giant landslid on the islands are present.This will cause the biggest natural catastrophe in history.
This is the problem with these natural catastrophes because we have never experienced these things we don't think it's going to happen to us.We just ignore them.

It's not going to stop happening just because we are around it's not a question of "if" it's a question of when.
Go back and read the data.

edit on 4-7-2011 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2011 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdebunker
And its number 5 on the most dangerous volcano decade list"

Avachinsky-Koryaksky, Kamchatka
Colima Volcano, Mexico
Mount Etna, Italy
Galeras Volcano, Colombia
Mauna Loa, Hawaii
Merapi Volcano, Indonesia
Niragongo Volcano, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Mount Rainier, Washington
Sakurajima Volcano, Japan
Santa Maria/Santiaguito Volcano, Guatemala
Santorini Volcano, Greece
Taal Volcano, Philippines
Teide Volcano, Canary Islands, Spain
Ulawun Volcano, Papua New Guinea
Unzen Volcano, Japan
Vesuvius Volcano, Italy

USGS

O.O # 8... hmmm Didn't even know the closest Volcano to me was that high on the LIST!! Yikes!!
That is sorta scarey.. lol

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Very good thread. It's refreshing to see some good information in a thread, as ATS is filled with rubbish these days. Well done OP.

Also, that list of most dangerous volcanoes is listed Alphabetically, not in order of most dangerous. I wonder if there's any information out there ranking them in terms of probability of having a massive eruption.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish
reply to post by kro32

Derek Elsworth has done some interesting research on the role of interior fluid pressures in triggering collapse.
link

link

His research proves that water pressure in volcano's causes instability for landslides.

Yes active volcanoes do not follow the normal rules when it comes to geology. They tend to affect things in many ways that's out of the norm.

I was referring to say mountains or dormant volcanoes.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Found a recent study on massive landslide and subsequent tsunami here
Seems there is concern for this being a real possibility in our time.

Introduction: Introduction There is a remote possibility that Kilauea volcano’s south flank will slump into the ocean and trigger a massive tsunami that would devastate coastlines around the Pacific. While there are no tsunamis of that magnitude on record, there is scientific evidence that supports these massive landslides and subsequent gigantic tsunamis in the Pacific within the past 100,000 to 200,000 years

It is not uncommon for small chunks of land to fall into the ocean as recent as May of 2007

The photos above were taken months apart and are a great example of the instability of the volcanic land. The photo on the left was taken in May of 2007 shortly after a small chunk of bench collapsed and it also shows the “shattering ring” that has developed. The photo on the right was taken August 17, 2007. Note that it is unclear why the shelf fell but it is believed that the M5.4 earthquake or high surf from hurricane Flossie could have been contributing factors. Photos courtesy of USGS East Lae'apuki Bench Collapse

<< 1   >>

join