It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twice as fast as Concorde: The supersonic jet that will fly from London to New York in TWO HOURS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Cant wait for this although im sure I wont be able to afford it. Used to see concord fly over many times although my mother flew on it I never got the chance.

A trip from New York to Sydney, meanwhile, will be cut by a staggering 75 per cent - from 20 hours on a commercial airliner to just five hours.

British firm HyperMach revealed its plans for the 20-seat plane at the Paris Air Show last week.

It will be able to cruise at Mach 3.1, a speed made possible by S-MAGJET hybrid gas turbine engine technology; nobody has ever travelled that fast before.

Its top speed, however, will be Mach 3.6.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I can't wait. The last time I was in an airplane it was 14 hours. Would love to see that cut down a bit.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Its great that its a British firm but why use an American to promote it.I really hope this happens it seems that we went backwards scrapping concord. I am sure they could run the thing on bio fuel to keep the tree hugger's happy.
I think even if the cost of a ticket was a few thousand it would be worth paying for the experience.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It would be a great technical feat, however the tickets will cost a fortune. With only 20 seats on the plane, the economics of running this as a scheduled commercial flight would be prohibitive.

More likely this will be a charter or private flight only enterprise. Get the number of passengers over say 100-200 and the costs of the flight will be reduced dramatically.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BomSquad

There are plenty of lottery winners now that didn't exist when concord flew throw in a few footballers and bankers and you've got a viable business.
edit on 27-6-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Pretty Cool... but, I'd still rather...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5256b443fcdb.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Surely, a 20-seat jet is not economically viable when it must be designed, prototyped, tested and mass produced.

But with the growing number of super rich, perhaps there is envisioned a market for such out-of-this-world thinking. But that would be about ten years down the road at least before such a craft would be had by the airlines and by that time the triangle technology will be brought forth by the coming war and negate all pure aircraft, don't ya think?.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Aliensun because: I'll will add that if you look into the vast differences in design between the Concorde and what we know as the SR-71 "Blackbird," you can see that there are a couple of billion dollars difference in the vastly more complicated design, and the operational costs would be equally huge. It ain't gonna happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Thats the slow option! The faster one is extremely exclusive for now!!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It'll never get off the ground, because all the petty minded NIMBYs in the US will make sure there isn't a single airport anywhere in the country where the plane is allowed to land. The USA shot down the Concorde programme by following this approach, and they'll do exactly the same again to stop this plane getting off the ground and most certainly stop it landing on US soil.

They have history in this respect, Concorde and TSR2 for starters.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Nice. Looks cool. And I agree, it's been too long since we could watch Concord pass over head. All put out of service because someone didn't clear debris from a French runway.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Every day the world gets smaller and smaller...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Surely, a 20-seat jet is not economically viable when it must be designed, prototyped, tested and mass produced.

But with the growing number of super rich, perhaps there is envisioned a market for such out-of-this-world thinking. But that would be about ten years down the road at least before such a craft would be had by the airlines and by that time the triangle technology will be brought forth by the coming war and negate all pure aircraft, don't ya think?.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Aliensun because: I'll will add that if you look into the vast differences in design between the Concorde and what we know as the SR-71 "Blackbird," you can see that there are a couple of billion dollars difference in the vastly more complicated design, and the operational costs would be equally huge. It ain't gonna happen.

Whats triangle technology ? Sounds kinky

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Have it ready by June 2021 eh? Pleeease. I'll hop in my transporter by then.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

He said it won't be available until at least 2021......Ten years from now we better be able to fly to the #ing moon, much less around the Earth in a couple of hours. What a waste and a crock of bull #

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
It'll never get off the ground, because all the petty minded NIMBYs in the US will make sure there isn't a single airport anywhere in the country where the plane is allowed to land. The USA shot down the Concorde programme by following this approach, and they'll do exactly the same again to stop this plane getting off the ground and most certainly stop it landing on US soil.

They have history in this respect, Concorde and TSR2 for starters.

Are you serious about your comments??

TSR2 was not a civilian plane. See the link below.

Moreoever changing all/several runways for ever changing aircrafts is not a wise investment for a country like US where there are hundreds of airports across the country and just because some European country thinks its the best aircraft in the world. Things are easier to implement in EUROPE since many countries are not that large geographically.

Perhaps there are better technologies existing which can be used using existing runways?????

TSR2
edit on 27-6-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Just as the US made sure Concorde wasn't a success the TSR2 programme, and yes I am aware it was a military plane, was killed off on the orders of the US Military because it would have outperformed anything US nanufacturers had on the drawing board at the time, and we were forced to take inferior planes from American manufacturers, such as the F-111 and the F-4.

The TSR2 could have gone into service across Europe and further afield and being a real success if the rug hadn't been pulled from under it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
MOD NOTE#

A prexisting thread on this subject was already started by me about a week ago. Could we direct all comments to just the one thread please.
Second supersonic concept revealed at Le Bourget

LEE.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
...However, thankyou to the OP for providing the Youtube link.

There is I believe now an additional story on Flight Global.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebozeian
MOD NOTE#

A prexisting thread on this subject was already started by me about a week ago. Could we direct all comments to just the one thread please.
Second supersonic concept revealed at Le Bourget

LEE.

Thanks, but are you a MOD as I cant see any mod titles on your avatar,

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
No, Lee has posted a note for the attention of a moderator because this is a duplicate thread and appears to have been missed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join