It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You A Smoker ?????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well now that it seems like chit-chat has turned into a conspiracy forum in itself, I started this poll to get chit chat back, but also because starting Monday morning, you will not be able to smoke cigarettes in bars in New York City. I know people will have strong opinions on this issue, as I have debated it many times with my friends. I am a non-smoker and I hate when I go to a bar and my eyes start bothering me and my clothes and hair smell like smoke. I am all for this law, if you want to smoke go outside, why should my lungs as a non-smoker be subjected to such large amounts of smoke if I simply want to go out and have a couple of beers? If the debating I've done with my friends is an indication, there will be some strong opposition to how I feel. Do you think this violates any of your rights? California has been this way for a few years now and Delaware followed suit just recently. Would you like to see this as a law where you live?

Yahoo story

Reuters story

[Edited on 30-3-2003 by ProudAmerican]

arc

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
well I smoke and I don't have a problem with public facilities being made non-smoking. Although the pubs and clubs I go to still allow smoking inside, places such as cinemas don't. And I'm glad of that. I know smoking causes harm and although it is my decision to inflict that on myself, I prefer not to subject others to my smoke - especially children.

If the pubs and clubs here went no smoking, it would take some adjusting to, but might also encourage us smokers to cut down or possibly give up.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I smoked for nearly 7 years solid. I quit back in November, and havnt felt better in my whole life. I think it's great they're doing that. I hated smoking inside, getting all stinky. Anyhow, I think smoking inside is just bad practice. So I guess you could say now I'm against it.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i have asthma--shouldn't ever touch the stuff, but when i drink heavy it's like smoking is part of that whether it be a cigar or a cigarette.

it's nasty, i don't think i could make it a habit. i don't mind when others smoke. but, there are times...when i'm sick and have to go out that i wish folk wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
smoke in the privacy of your own damn home, if i want lung cancer quickly i will go and buy my own ciggs....

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
I smoked for nearly 7 years solid. I quit back in November, and havnt felt better in my whole life. I think it's great they're doing that. I hated smoking inside, getting all stinky. Anyhow, I think smoking inside is just bad practice. So I guess you could say now I'm against it.

I'm with Gommer and Saph, I prefer to smoke outdoors, can't stand smoke in a resturaunt and don't like subjecting others to my smoke.

I've managed to cut my smoking down to occasional. It is now me that is in control, not the nicotine. They may pass all the laws they want, it won't effect me.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I smoked for many, many years
but finally gave up the addiction a little over 6 months ago. It actually icreased my health problems in the short run, but I am dealing with that now as well. I put on weight too quickly and my blood pressure went through the roof. But like Grommer says, it feels really good to quit.

AF1

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'm a smoker, and most clubs I go to have places where you can go outside and light one up. I have no problem with this at all. I don't think it's really a problem to go outside and have one. I go outside of the dorm all the time, since my roomates don't smoke. And since I'm not 21 yet, I "technically" can't go to bars, so that won't effect me either.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm a smoker too.

I'm smoke and when I don't smoke I'm going nervous. And when I'm going nervous I'm smoking.

I have to stop. I hate smoking !!!

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Used to be!

Started when all the bullying started at high school and then decided that i would give it up when i realised that killing myself would only stop me enjoying my life!

Just to let you know that i am only 20 and left high school 3 years ago...gave up 2 years ago and just trying to loose weight now!

Any encouragment is welcome!!

arc

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I've been smoking for 11 years now - off to a smoker's support group on tuesday so wish me luck. Gave up for 2 months a year ago and caused myself that many other problems that I had to start again. I know the weight will always go up - thankfully I'm not even 9 stone right now so can afford to put a bit on. Not sure what the answer is to avoiding it - eat less, exercise more and accept smoking was keeping your weight unnaturally low and you're probably the size you're supposed to be now

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   
be forewarned, when you do quit smoking, your hunger level will definitely rise. When I quit, I cut out sugar and salt altogether and lost around 15 lbs with doing nothing. But, once you get the taste of food without nicotine (spelling?) you'll just want it more.

you have been warned.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yeah,

The sad part is though the SOBs that bullied me a HS put me on Prozac and i almost killed myself because of the depression!

Thankfully, i have wonderful long time friends over here and they helped me throught it all. So, my smoking stopped but the prozac made me gain 5 stone and it's taken me 2 and a half years to loose it again!
Ontop of that i was diagnoised with Bulemia and even though i wasn't making myself sick..i put on the weight!!

I take one day at a time now and i am down to a lighter weight, feel happier, have wonderful friends all over the place(you know who you are?) and i have a career that i love so much!

Keep smiling everyone...support each other in times of need and they will be there for you!

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have to say that so far I am surprised by the results, I thought the smokers would out number the non-smokers.

Congragulations to RavenStar, Grommer, and William OS for your willpower, I've never smoked but have seen how hard it is to quit.

Arc, good luck in your pursuit of non-smoking. By the way, what does 9 stone mean, 90 pounds?? Not familiar with that term. You can quit too UPhoenix if you put your mind to it!!

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Started smoking in 7th grade and stopped about 5 months ago when we found out the wife was pregnant. I feel great. Still crave them every once in a while. I think smoking indoors is stinky anyway. Even when we smoked it was always outside.

[Edited on 30-3-2003 by observer]

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I don't inhale or inject the governments poison into my system.

arc

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'd be in hospital if I weighed 90lb - try 126lb instead.

Raven thats terrible - I know I started smoking at a very stressful period in my life too. Unfortunately it took about 9 years before I was in control enough to even think about quitting. Plus its never easy when you have an eating disorder to contend with - too many of us girls use cigarettes to replace or limit our food

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks PA, it is definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it was more of a financial decision. I just couldnt afford the 3 dollar a dar habit. I just flat out quit cold turkey, no patches, no anything. Just to prove that I havnt done it. Although I did slip once, I had about half a cig when I was drunk and it tasted terrible.

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of knowing people who were hooked on heroin, and they say smoking was harder to quit than that.

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hey arc....

I decided long ago that i wouldn't care what people saw if they liked my personality!
I have a good caring heart and i love anyone unconditionally, but be warned that as a Scot, i have a rather short temper and it is not a good idea to piss me off unless you want to die...slowly!!!

On the other hand....i can make your dreams come true if you take the time to get to know me and you will always have a friend for life!

okay...getting emotional here?

Thanks for all your support!

posted on Mar, 30 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I smoke. Can i ask what the 'other' option is that 2 people have voted for? whats the other option? you either smoke, smoke occasionally, or you dont.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join