It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Theist.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Religion and God are one in the same As in Terms contrived by man; One sprung from the other.

Still waiting

The Universe Said:
You see Religion and it has nothing to do with what happened on Earth 4-5 billion years before human arose. Hows that one for ya.

NoTurTypical Said:
In Genesis chapter 1, the Book of Job, and anywhere the term "dragon" is used. (That's what people called them before the 1800s when the term dinosaur was invented)

That doesn't prove anything. That just proves they used a mythical Term Dragon; are you assuming the dinosaurs breathed flame?

edit on 8-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
Religion and God are one in the same As in Terms contrived by man; One sprung from the other.

This is absolutely false. God is no more a religion than science is. People practice religion, regardless of God's existence. Religion serves the purpose of controlling people... just like politics and just like many secular fields of scholarship. None of that requires God to operate.

That doesn't prove anything. That just proves they used a mythical Term Dragon; are you assuming the dinosaurs breathed flame?

Put away your Dungeons & Dragons books. Not all societal interpretations of dragons breath fire. Up until relatively recently, any description of a dinosaur would have been understandably labeled a "dragon".

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Religion : Definition : Institution To Express Belief in a divine power.

Religion : Definition: A Strong Belief in a supernatural or powers that control human destiny.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

Religion : Definition: A Strong Belief in a supernatural or powers that control human destiny.

I think you know what I meant. Of course I know the actual definition. What I am saying is that, as an institution, religion is as secular as any other organized tool of control.

Point is: You can be in a religion and not believe in God. You can believe in God and deny all religion. They are mutually exclusive concepts.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You're Looking at it wrong

I'm speaking about the ancient Origin Of the terms from man.

Since when they contrived it most religions were tied to the belief in a god(s) and/or deitie(s)

Might want to see this statement as well!

The Universe Said: You see Religion and it has nothing to do with what happened on Earth 4-5 billion years before human arose. Hows that one for ya.

edit on 9-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mathematic
God created everything from the heavens to the earth. That's what we're told. Then we learn about it, we study it. We're taught to give the God who created an infinite universe from our perspective, a lamb. Yeah, God created billions of stars and galaxies, infinite mass so to speak, and he needs our lambs.

This God is all knowing, omnipotent, omnipresent. How was he created? He experienced everything. It's kinda like the cycle this universe is going through. We're all a part of one. If God knows all and experiences all, he didn't need to create this sitcom; this universe.

God was not created. That's part of the definition of God.
(Disclaimer : I am one of the millions of Christians who believes that God used evolution to create all the plants and animals that exist today. I am fine with science, there's no fundamental disagreement between science and religion. Young Earth Creationists are a tiny weeny minority of Christians.)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

religion pure and undefiled with the God and Father is this, to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation-James1

And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. -Revelation11

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Please persuade me to believe that God doesn't exist.

Why on earth should we do that?

Ignoring the clearly stated position of agnostic atheism which is your main opposition on this forum, you choose to address the few gnostic atheists around; creating a, by theists beloved inductive category, which can be a basis for further semantic acrobatics in inductive reasoning.

The main reason for criticism of some of the christian manifestations is the invasive nature of these christianities.

Buddhism (in size equalent to the self-proclaimed 'true' christianity you propose) is seldom attacked, for the reason, that it doesn't present much (if any) religious fascism.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Please persuade me to actually take part in the ridiculous straw man discussion. I've explained this to you before, so at this point I can't excuse it as ignorance or having been deceived by another, you're just being deceitful.

Atheists do not believe in a deity, it's not that we believe there is no deity. Sure, some atheists do additionally believe that there is no deity, but they make up a small minority whose presence is not even found on ATS.

Stop misrepresenting other people's positions and stop being a bad follower of your own holy book.

Proverbs 6:16-19

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

The very thread that you're replying to was most likely a troll thread by someone who doesn't seem to actually be an atheist...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I have no interest in persuading you of anything and I can't possibly understanding having a strong faith and begging others to take it away. That's not a mentally-healthy behavior.

I can't help but wonder what your God thinks of you starting this thread...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

I am one of the millions of Christians who believes that God used evolution to create all the plants and animals that exist today.

1 question then.

How do you have death before Adam and Eve's sin? That's when God pronounced death as part of the curse.

Thanks Vicky

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

Why on earth should we do that?

Ignoring the clearly stated position of agnostic atheism which is your main opposition on this forum, you choose to address the few gnostic atheists around; creating a, by theists beloved inductive category, which can be a basis for further semantic acrobatics in inductive reasoning.

The main reason for criticism of some of the christian manifestations is the invasive nature of these christianities.

Buddhism (in size equalent to the self-proclaimed 'true' christianity you propose) is seldom attacked, for the reason, that it doesn't present much (if any) religious fascism.

So there is no way you can change my mind, either by force or persuasion, about God's existence?

I have been arguing the same thing HERE for several pages and everyone says I am wrong.

I appreciate you proving my original contention ("No one can 'make' you believe...") correct.

(Star for your post)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Please persuade me to actually take part in the ridiculous straw man discussion.

You're already involved Sparky.

The very thread that you're replying to was most likely a troll thread by someone who doesn't seem to actually be an atheist...

That's irrelevant.

The people in that thread were arguing with me that I'm wrong for saying that no one can "make" a person believe anything, it's up to the person whether or not they want to believe.

You're all proving me right, I appreciate it.

edit on 9-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I have no interest in persuading you of anything and I can't possibly understanding having a strong faith and begging others to take it away. That's not a mentally-healthy behavior.

Because I am not, I'm proving a point from another thread.

Thanks for participating.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

So there is no way you can change my mind, either by force or persuasion, about God's existence?

Oh, I absolutely think there is a way to change your mind. I just have no desire to... Why would I? I don't care what you believe. I can't "make" you believe something, but a good education would probably take care of it.

And if we want to talk about "making" you believe. There's hypnosis, mind control, indoctrination and brainwashing (which is why theists believe in the first place - they are taught to). Specific influences in your life so far have MADE you believe in a God. You didn't believe in him when you were born. SOMETHING made you believe it.

I have been arguing the same thing HERE for several pages and everyone says I am wrong.

I see ONE PERSON that argued semantics with you, but I didn't see ANYONE say you were wrong about not being able to MAKE someone believe something.

And clearly, that thread was started to troll the atheist/theist interests on the board. So, instead of staying there and fighting it out with the people you're arguing with, you decided to make your very own troll thread to prove a point from another thread??? Jesus! Grow up.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh, I absolutely think there is a way to change your mind.

No there is not, I can either choose to believe or not believe, it's my choice. Information can be rejected. That's my point.

I can't "make" you believe something, but a good education would probably take care of it.

I already said I apologize for my handicap of a public school/government education. What else do you want me to say?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Can any of you convince me to believe that God does not exist???

edit on 9-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

What God?
How's that

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

I am one of the millions of Christians who believes that God used evolution to create all the plants and animals that exist today.

1 question then.

How do you have death before Adam and Eve's sin? That's when God pronounced death as part of the curse.

Thanks Vicky

God pronounced death as part of their curse. Not the countless people who were already dying across Eurasia. People were around long before Adam and Eve. If read chronologically, the bible clearly states that God (and an unidentified "we") created humanity and then, much later, created Adam and Eve.

Adam and Eve were simply the first of the Hebrew line of people.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

If read chronologically, the bible clearly states that God (and an unidentified "we") created humanity and then, much later, created Adam and Eve.

Citation?

Adam and Eve were simply the first of the Hebrew line of people.

No, Abraham was. (According to the Bible)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join