It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of "Spam" Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Lately I've been seeing tons more "spam threads"...

Some, no doubt, are posted to help promote their click for cash blogs, click the ads, view the page, they earn money.
Other postings may contain malware or other computer virii.

Often sensational topics that lead to a blogs link article are posted.

The new user has no prior posts and or "faked numbers". It takes 20 prior posts for a member to be able to post a thread, unless they have mod permission. Highly doubt it applies with allowing the spam threads.

Hacking, terms violation?
While most ATS members know what a spam thread is, new members may not know yet. While mods catch about all the posts, some slip through at least for a while.

I made this so you can easier discern what is spam and what is not;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6497fc5811fe.jpg[/atsimg]
See bigger image

Most importantly; when you see one of these threads, report ASAP!

edit on 8-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: img link

edit on 8-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Alert Alert Alert.

Just keep alerting staff and these spam threads dissappear.

I just did 2 in Breaking news and they are gone :-)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
and im tired of weinergate.

stop the madness!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Read the OP, this is not about spamming of the same topics. (OBL Anyone? Obamas BC?)

This is about people looking to make money based on driving traffic to a page where the OP will make a bit of coin by getting you to click there links.

SPAM The Other Other White Meat

I think the intent of the OP is good, however as someone who is a web developer by trade, I assure you there is no 'one size fits all' when spotting the spammers. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it takes a keen and trained eye to see whats going on. I can also assure you that as long as ATS gets the traffic that it does, it will never end. ATS may put in safe gaurds against this type of thing, but someone will always find a work-around.

The best thing someone can do is use the ALERT function on each post when they've spotted one.

Also, as a tip for those who may not be able to spot these spam scams, I offer this. Read the replies to a post. Usually if it's spam and has survived long enough to get some responses, someone wise enough will point out the scam.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Actually, I wanted to see the GIANT rat!
But yeah alot of those recently, but the mods are pretty quick to delete a thread, and just about as quick on the spam threads too.

Naaw just report it and pray for the fools who click on the links of how to increase their biceps or whatever in 20 minutes links.
ATS is fairly big so it is to be expected, were gonna get some spam.
We just need to learn to fry it up and put it on some bread w/ mayo! YUM!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

U can join the discussion here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by smartbuddy

Actually, you can't... That thread is closed.

But nice try

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It's not just 0 post, poster either.

I notice a lot of Elenin and Nibiru "dwarf star" threads that seem to be posted only to link back to a blog or YouTube account.

And my personal gripe, the people that hammer out PESN and PESWIKI "free energy" links without adding anything to the discussion save the links.

If you post a link, there should be at least some personal commentary.

I understand there are circumstances when this isn't needed. But there are far too many posts that are just electronic vomit.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I have seen those too! I have alerted a few. I knew something didn't seem right..

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

It's not just 0 post, poster either.

I notice a lot of Elenin and Nibiru "dwarf star" threads that seem to be posted only to link back to a blog or YouTube account.

And my personal gripe, the people that hammer out PESN and PESWIKI "free energy" links without adding anything to the discussion save the links.

If you post a link, there should be at least some personal commentary.

I understand there are circumstances when this isn't needed. But there are far too many posts that are just electronic vomit.

Mmmmmm. Electronic vomit....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Oh my bad, I thought they were one in the same.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by smartbuddy

Seriously mate, did you just join ATS to become a pain in the ass? In the last 2 days i've seen you in multiple threads screaming about hacking and other members - yet you've been wrong every time. You made a big deal over someone typing in a web address wrong - saying they were deliberately spamming or whatever when a simple Google search would have solved the issue for you. Then you scream bloody murder over the fact that some scammer managed to post a few fake threads.....

Take a chill pill mate. You are not the ATS Police. I've been on this site a lot longer than you and I know for a fact that the mods do an excellent job of keeping out the riff-raff without newbie members taking it upon themselves to dob in every second post they see by making a new thread about it.

Please learn to use the ALERT function if you see a suspicious thread/post - we don't need a new thread every time.

top topics

join