It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian women’s soccer team forfeits 2012 qualifier over head scarves

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Did you hear bells and whistles going off when you hit the post button? I heard them when i read it.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
And Muslims targeted 911, are you going to support that? Were the twin towers bigots?
edit on 7-6-2011 by BIGPoJo because: splelling

No... a group of radical extremists "allegedly" targeted the twin towers and they called themselves Muslim...

Not sure what that has to do with the thread...

Most people who are opposed to the wearing of these headscarves in football are not your typical "muslim basher" so perhaps take your ignorance over to another thread?

There are plenty of Anti-Muslim threads on ATS.... this is NOT one of them, just people pointing out that equality and rules are for everyone and people shouldn't be given special permission.

Not bashing Muslims just making a point. Throwing the word bigot around in this thread is pretty disgusting. Everyone competing is required to wear the regulation uniform even Muslims. Why make a special case just for Muslims?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Exactly! There are no "special cases". People need to accept the FACT and get over it alredy.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Not bashing Muslims just making a point.

Really... I must have missed it, what was your point?

Throwing the word bigot around in this thread is pretty disgusting. Everyone competing is required to wear the regulation uniform even Muslims. Why make a special case just for Muslims?

I totally agree and am glad FIFA have stuck to their guns and not allowed these women to wear the head scarves.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Which is why I said Iran shouldn't even get themselves involved with this corrupt and dirty organization.

Then don't go close to the Iranian regimes closet and turn the knob, because I hear one gets overloaded with skeletons. I even hear the closet door is made out of* glass.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Really... I must have missed it, what was your point?

I was making the point that anyone can post stupid responses with the word bigotry and troll up any past issues that have nothing to do with the FIFA ruling. Mostly just pointing this out to the bigot insinuator.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

So found this.....

What's changed since this?

www.rohama.org...

Also, I wanted to mention that I consider this acceptable and professional. I think even Muslims could agree, unless they are like this guy with his blinders on.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Fair enough, no worries

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

This is an example of Iran playing politics couched in religious discrimination and sacrificing the team, to do so. Iran changed the rules, not FIFA - This from the article: (note the bolding)

Since Iran refused to comply with these rules and didn't use the specially designed caps that its 2010 Youth Olympics team wore, Friday's match was abandoned by officials and a 3-0 win was awarded to Jordan as a result. The Football Federation of Iran said it will complain to FIFA about the ruling, but FIFA says assurances were made beforehand so that this situation would've been avoided. From the AP: (1)

The article goes on to say that 3 Jordanian players were also dismissed for wearing the hijab, though obviously the entire team was not. So - who is pushing boundaries and rules, here? Seems as though some are trying to see where the line is going to be drawn and found out...

edit on 7-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if let's say... a player decides to tug on the back of the shirt, you know what I mean, you've seen it but end up tugging on the head scalve?! Oh no! the outrage would be terrible!.

David.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

And imagine if that hajib pull was INTENTIONAL in an attempt to remove it. They would literally demand the head of the player who did it. Not to mention what may become of the poor girl who had it removed because OMG she showed her hair to someone other than her husband - oh the horror.

FIFA, as much as I despise them, did the right thing this time... Rules are rules... Standards are standards. You come to the game expect to play by the rules or be booted. No exceptions for ANYONE.

But I agree, they knew what they were getting into. They were offered alternative headgear and showed up without it. This is yet another political ploy to force a false racist card into play.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The reason they dont ban "soccer shoes" is because of safety, the dangerous looking studs (not spikes theyre banned) on the bottom provide grip and stability hence keeping you from hurting yourself .Anything tied around your neck is a serious hazard if your opponent grabs it.

edit on 7-6-2011 by penfold because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by penfold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
It is appalling. For these women it isn't just religion. It's culture. It's what they've been taught every minute all their lives.

How stupid and how sad.

If it was a "risk" it was one they were willing to take. It isn't as if they were trying to wear spiked armor or something that would hurt the opponents.

They aren't special.. why should they get to play by different rules?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is a controversial issue no doubt, logically if you allow Hijabs then you should then allow Burkas to be worn in Football, but then no one could be sure if a man was playing in a Womans team.

Perhaps there should be a seperate Football tournament for Muslims only where they do not have to worry about infidels and their rules?
And thats whats its all about foks BIGOTRY, we in the west didn't invent the concept or practice, we are the Infidels the Gentiles the Goyem.
But alas we also are not the centre of any universe but the one that exists in our own minds, we all need to visit China and see in beter perspective how valued westerners and their culture are to the Billions of Orientals who view their own culture as the centre of their own Universe.
Let the Muslims wear their Burkas their hijabs, and let the Pagans wear nothing in their sports contests, it is in their beliefs so why NOT FIFA?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
FIFA created the rule in 2007 . I don't know what year it is on the Iranian calendar , but in this part it's now 2011 . The London Games are 2012 . Did the Iranians not get enough notice ? The Iranian administration is using their own womens team to make a political point and that's all there is to it . Sacrificing the dreams of young sports women for garbage that has nothing to do with sport or the safety of their own atheletes but Iran isn't known for anything resembling sportsmanship . International rules indicate that judokas shake hands in sportsmanship and respect before a match and an Iranian just disqualified himself from a world championship match by refusing to shake the hand of his competitor , an opponent from Israel . Of course the Iranian judoka his a hero in Iran even though he looks like a complete unsportsmanlike idiot in the rest of the sport and the rules haven't changed in 50 years . The nutbars in Iran have .

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by penfold

Ohh, you are a genius, you think slipping in grass hurts you more than pushing spiky shoes on someone's face?

WOW, I got nothing else to say, but to show you this picture, of how much dangerous a headscarf is, compared to a soccer shoes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b74c13891047.jpg[/atsimg]

By the way, don't forget to tell us why someone would grab your head scarf? That is like grabbing someone's hair, why would you do that? Do you think it is more dangerous to grab someone's headscarf than hair? You can break your neck if someone grabs your hair, same story isn't it? Unless you are a bigot?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

They don't feel it's anything to do with pride. For them wearing a headscarf is a religious duty which they must perform. As for not allowing them to do it, I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand I can understand where FIFA is coming from, but on the other, people get so 'safety conscious' nowadays that some people are practically outlawing fun. I'd say just let them wear their headscarves when they play and just make them sign a waiver saying that if they choke then it's not the fault of FIFA.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Studded boots are there for a very important safety reason, already pointed out to you. Everybody wears football boots. Only a small minority wear head scalves.

Studded boots are essential to the game. Head scalves are not.

What part of this non-issue are you struggling with? Or are you trolling? I can't figure it out.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

no and i hate soccer.

show YOUR tolerance. what next? sorry,

have to pray?

this is BS!!

thank your gov for this or your religion or your dumb-ass husbands and imams.

see ya in about a 1000 yrs.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

It's a piece of cloth, it doesn't harm anyone, hence there is no reason for prohibiting it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join