It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian women’s soccer team forfeits 2012 qualifier over head scarves

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Sorry I can't help you sadly.

"If you have already assumed in your premise what you are going to state in your conclusion, then you have ended where you began and proven nothing."

"everything else is collateral damage" hmmm.....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think a sports organization that is not in itself religious based has the right and duty to make any rule they want for fairness and safety of all players - - as long as it applies straight across the board to everyone.

A religious headdress is not their problem. It is a personal problem. If a non-Islam woman played in an Islam country - - she would be forced to wear a head covering - - even if it didn't apply to her own belief. It works both ways.

There were some snowboarders who boycotted the Olympics because the rule is you must wear your countries team uniform.

In America football players are not allowed to make any religious gesture while on the field - - or they will be fined. It is about the fans enjoyment - - not your personal god.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Would it honestly affect your enjoyment of the game if you saw someone playing whilst wearing a headscarf or a crucifix? It's nothing to do with you or me what a person's religion is or how they express it, so long as when they do their job they do it as required, a hijab, crucifix or whatever other religious garb or icon shouldn't be prohibited unless it directly affects the game in anyway, something which will not happen with a thin piece of clothes tied around a persons hair.

Not allowing these women to represent their country because their religion requires them to have a head covering is a pathetic move and indicative of the lousy health and safety conscious society we live in.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
reply to post by Annee

Would it honestly affect your enjoyment of the game if you saw someone playing whilst wearing a headscarf or a crucifix?

Am I turned off by religious displays during sports play?

YES!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The fact remains, Iranian soccer players/Iranian government are unwilling to do what it takes to win. This makes them losers and it their governments fault. So sad, stay small Iran. Stay small.

I get the feeling like the Iranian government is scared to lose against blacks, Christians, and Jews. This is reminiscent of what happened during the Hitler Olympics. I smell a conspiracy to cause civil distress as an excuse for Iran to drop out of the competition for fear that they will be beaten by what they consider human trash.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Thinking deeper on this issue I had a revelation:

Why would someone refuse to remove a headscarf, preventing them from playing soccer for the best association in the world? Certainly everyone's God appreciates health and athleticism enough to excuse a person from their material possessions for 90 minutes.

Consider that the prize money from finishing among the top must be nice. Also the notoriety and positive press for your country. A country such as Iran could benefit greatly from this. But the faces of the women cannot be revealed.

It is because MEN PLAYED DISGUISED AS WOMAN in past events! Can anyone find a past soccer match with this exact team where the faces where covered?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

they sure as hell got burned at the steak as witches and afew of those were probaly burned for simaler reasons

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
The Iranian women's soccer team should all just wear these:

Chivu (Inter Milan) - www.cotidianul.ro...

Cech (Chelesa) - www.justsoccerjerseys.com...

Helmets... headscarfs... close enough right?

Both of them use those helmets because of previous injuries in their heads, that's the only reason and why is permited.

See this, is Cech head injury

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I present you with:

reply to post by Krystian

If anything I see it as nobility. The women put the faith they believe in above a passion they succumb to.

And what did I say?

2 - Iranian regime wants to be an example for Muslims worldwide.

FYI Krystian, you are WRONG. These women wanted to play the sport they love by their own choice, they didn't want to practice the religion that was forced upon them from birth.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Why is your reply to me?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Zamini!

I expected better of you!

You are so quick to defend a population / race / creed and stand out against hatred in so many other threads yet you immediately tar all followers of football (not soccer ;-) ) as intellectually handicapped?

That is a very poor generalisation, of course you get your troglodytes who can't tell their arse from their elbow but the majority of people that attend the games (especially in England) are actually well educated people going to watch their team that they have supported since childhood.

The problem is (and frankly I can't believe the OP enjoyed it) is that football fans are portrayed and violence glorified in films like Green Street.. This, thankfully, is a bygone era. Violence at football is at nearly zero levels, in England at least (unlike eastern europe) and the vast majority would like it to stay that way.

Back to the topic in hand though

FIFA is as corrupt as the day is long, Sepp Blatter is a disgrace to football and frankly the whole organisation needs a shakeup.

However

In this ruling I completeley agree with FIFA. I am not rascist, bigoted, sexist or suffer from any phobias regarding covered heads and/or cotton. The rule is in place for the safety of the players. The same reason that snoods have been banned, rings must be taped over, studs have to be the correct length, chains need to be removed etc etc. It is easily possible for an opponent to grab a habib whilst running at full speed and momentum will immediately wrap it around the neck..

Unfortunately rules is rules,

Truth_Hz

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
So sad, women who excel in a male dominated sport, who are then quashed by a cultural notion invented by men. I know this may sound a bit ignorant, but couldn't they wear hats? Or those stream lined head covering like the Iranian runners wear?
Or maybe they could come to the realisation that hair is something you are born with and is not something that should be covered like it is evil or tempting for the opposite sex and learn to live without that tradition which is only setting them back in their careers and ambitions.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

To show you their dirty politics are working.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

Zamini!

I expected better of you!

You are so quick to defend a population / race / creed and stand out against hatred in so many other threads yet you immediately tar all followers of football (not soccer ;-) ) as intellectually handicapped?

Fair enough.

That is a very poor generalisation, of course you get your troglodytes who can't tell their arse from their elbow but the majority of people that attend the games (especially in England) are actually well educated people going to watch their team that they have supported since childhood.

Well, I stand corrected then! Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Whose dirty politics?

I'm confused.... It's easily done though

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred

Would it honestly affect your enjoyment of the game if you saw someone playing whilst wearing a headscarf or a crucifix? It's nothing to do with you or me what a person's religion is or how they express it, so long as when they do their job they do it as required, a hijab, crucifix or whatever other religious garb or icon shouldn't be prohibited unless it directly affects the game in anyway, something which will not happen with a thin piece of clothes tied around a persons hair.

Well wearing religious indicators DOES affect the enjoyment of the game. It has been known to end in violence and rioting.

The main reason religious symbols of any kind are banned is because of the violent rivalry between the Protestants and the Catholics in some countries who will remain nameless. It really has nothing to do with Islam that they are banned. But now that there is some Christian/Islamic tension going to, it certainly makes sense to keep the ban in place.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
If i was an iranian woman i would tear my burka off in a fit of rage over Fifa's decision

Seriously though, Irans women soccer/football players should follow the rule's. But if they wont follow the rule's of the game then they shouldn't be allowed to play the game.
Its a simple as that.
If you dont like the rule's, well,,,,,,,,,, dont play the game.
So anyone that say's it's a religous thing that must be respected well.................. respect works both ways. If,,,,,,,,,,, the iranians cant respect rule's well,,,,,,,,,,,, then, %^$# em and $%#^ off.
Rules are rule's.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MonteroReal

Yeah, I know but the Iranian women could just say they have soft skulls and it hurts when they head the ball because of the years that they spent playing with head scarfs on.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join