It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian women’s soccer team forfeits 2012 qualifier over head scarves

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The Iranian women's soccer team was in tears after being forced to forfeit a 2012 London Olympics qualifying match this past weekend because it showed up to play in hajibs. FIFA banned the Islamic head scarf in 2007, saying that it could cause choking injuries -- the same reason it gave for recently banning snoods (neck warmers). FIFA also has strict rules against any religious statements in team uniforms.

Anyone who knows me knows that i try to stay out of middleeastern affairs. I don't believe anyone 1000s of miles away has any business tending to someone elses affairs. I also know that people go nuts over their Football. (for the record i loved Green Street Hooligans, just sayin...)

My question is this... Why would you knowingly sabatoge your team when it comes to qualifying for the Olympics? Pride is a "deadly sin" too. If you subscribe to things like that. Why people think that they can bend the rules and that they should be catered to is beyond me. Is it so people will pay more attention to them? I dont get it at all??? Obviouslt these women were more than dissapointed that they were disqualified, but really, WTF did they expect?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

The Iranian women's soccer team was in tears after being forced to forfeit a 2012 London Olympics qualifying match this past weekend because it showed up to play in hajibs. FIFA banned the Islamic head scarf in 2007, saying that it could cause choking injuries -- the same reason it gave for recently banning snoods (neck warmers). FIFA also has strict rules against any religious statements in team uniforms.

Anyone who knows me knows that i try to stay out of middleeastern affairs. I don't believe anyone 1000s of miles away has any business tending to someone elses affairs. I also know that people go nuts over their Football. (for the record i loved Green Street Hooligans, just sayin...)

My question is this... Why would you knowingly sabatoge your team when it comes to qualifying for the Olympics? Pride is a "deadly sin" too. If you subscribe to things like that. Why people think that they can bend the rules and that they should be catered to is beyond me. Is it so people will pay more attention to them? I dont get it at all??? Obviouslt these women were more than dissapointed that they were disqualified, but really, WTF did they expect?

MessOnTheFED!

smh.
It's rules, just because you believe in a stupid religion doesn't mean FIFA has to believe or respect those rules.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Seriously though.

I don't think the hijaabs would be too much of a problem.
I hate islam as much as the next man but this is kind of sad.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It is appalling. For these women it isn't just religion. It's culture. It's what they've been taught every minute all their lives.

How stupid and how sad.

If it was a "risk" it was one they were willing to take. It isn't as if they were trying to wear spiked armor or something that would hurt the opponents.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
FIFA are correct in this case. Everybody else in the world must play in the same attire. Why should they make one exception.

And in a fast-paced physical game a head scarf could be very dangerous. Anything that causes a risk to vision can be dangerous. It would only take one girl to get a boot in the face...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I believe that if you start catering for individual teams needs, wants or desires within an open competition of many countries, colours and cultures, you set a precedent and thus open a can of worms. I think the correct decision has been made. If a team does not want to play by the same regulations as every other team, then they forfeit their right to play in said competition. Simple!

IRM

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

It's about time FIFA is boycotted into oblivion. If you thought mafia practices were done for, take a look at FIFA.

(and no, that wasn't solely about the headscarves).

Lets analyze this situation before this topic is flooded with intellectually handicapped soccer fans.

1 - Iranian regime likes to take stabs at organizations like FIFA.
2 - Iranian regime wants to be an example for Muslims worldwide.

So what do they do? They force the women team to wear headscarves. In doing so, the corrupt FIFA(which through sponsors is by default anti-Iranian regime) excludes the women team.

This results in face value for the Iranian regime:

3 - Muslims worldwide think; "Hey, Iran is trying to protect the women and their belief by setting a prudent example but they are not allowed to" (while oblivious to the political agenda)

4 - FIFA is praised by their side for taking a stand against Muslims.

at these stupid people and their stupid politics.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

Culture does not have a thing to do about the rules of the game though. They knew about this before they went to the event. Im just tired of people trying to recieve special privleges for who they are. I dont care what someone was raised wearing on their heads. Their culture could mandate that they had to wear cow patties on their heads every day of the year, but when they step foot into a sporting even they need to do what the rules state.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Culture does not have a thing to do about the rules of the game though.

Islamic culture is not even Iranian(Iran;land of Aryans) culture. Islamic culture was and is forced upon the people. Thankfully, the youth won't carry it with them across generations into the future.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Hang on. is it part of the Religion to wear these garments? or is it just culture?
i mean if they won and was allowed, couldn't a Buddhist monk football team do the same? shaolin soccer anyone.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

In sports, rules are rules. I do not think exceptions should be made for religions.

If your religion and its customs do not allow you to play the sport, then thats the way it goes. I do not hate Iran, nor Islam. But I do feel that just like Christianity had to modernize, and stop being horribly oppressive and unfair to women, so should Islam. So I do not feel enormous sympathy that the Olympics are preventing them from continuing an archaic and ultimately unjust custom in those games.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

Sorry man this thread isnt about "hating islam". I dont hate Islam. That would be akin to me saying "I hate door" and that just doesn't make much sense. Does it? Those damned doors always opening and closing!

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

Im holding out for the ninja soccer. That sounds legit does it not?

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
FIFA are correct in this case. Everybody else in the world must play in the same attire. Why should they make one exception.

And in a fast-paced physical game a head scarf could be very dangerous. Anything that causes a risk to vision can be dangerous. It would only take one girl to get a boot in the face...

Head Scarves don't effect your vision, here's a picture:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d17fbce09f2d.jpg[/atsimg]

This is blatant bigotry.

Stop trying to find excuses for bigots. This is not dangerous, even an idiot would see that soccer boots are 100X more dangerous than wearing scarves, if it was about security then soccer boots with spikes would be banned.

And maybe rugby would ban these:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/284138b98e87.jpg[/atsimg]

Or maybe they should ban all these head gears which could also be dangerous:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b840e8285b5a.jpg[/atsimg]

Or maybe, just maybe they should ban long hair, that is pretty dangerous don't you think?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec8ceb203447.jpg[/atsimg]

FIFA revolves around gambling, I don't know why Iran wants to get involved with such a dirty and corrupt organization in the first place?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

FIFA revolves around gambling, I don't know why Iran wants to get involved with such a dirty and corrupt organization in the first place?

Read my post.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

. Although that poster said "vision" the official reason is "choking hazard" or "neck injury." And its not just head scarves that have been banned, but neck warmers as well. And in fact, the neck warmers were the original reason for the ban, and head scarves were not the target at all, they are just collateral damage.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Looking at it from the Iranian ladies' point of view, either wear the head scarf or go home and get stoned for being a "slut".
Easy choice no? The religion of peace at work.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Scoriada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

No they have another option. Dont play soccer internationally. Im going to guess they dont have a womens swim team, as swimming in their religious garments would make them wholly un competitive.

They are going to have to lobby their way to the freedom to play scarfless. It sucks for them, but women in the west have had to fight over the centuries for their rights too.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

The rules are there for a reason. Even though some may not see. People are not above the rules. No matter how much they want to be...

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

I agree it is totally messed up. But why even go in the first place? What point are they trying to proove?

MOTF!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join