It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of the World 2012: NASA Tells All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So finally nasa decides to coment on some of the fun stuff that goes around here
seams that they debunk pretty much every thing...

Can we trust what nasa is saying

Question (Q): Are there any threats to the Earth in 2012? Many Internet websites say the world will end in December 2012.
Answer (A): Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
A: The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012. Then these two fables were linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 -- hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
A: Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.

Q: Could phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
A: There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.For the rest of the Q's & A's link:______beforeitsnews/story/689/351/The_End_of_the_World_2012:_NASA_Tells_All.html

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Honestly not gonna be a jerk about it but I for one hope what they said is the truth, I'm not ready to go yet still LOTTTTS to learn for me.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well they discover new comets and asteroids all the time, Elenin being an example of one that's about to kiss us on the mouth. How do they know "for sure" that we will be 100% fine by Dec. 2012? I suppose all these D.U.M.B.S. are just there for any "just in case" scenarios... who is funding those?
I guess we'll see soon enough.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't like reading before it was news. I just don't seem to trust some of the writers on there.
But this time they actually sourced it and it was from here

Nasa Website

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Answer (A): Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.

What a patronising obtuse answer that is. If that's the best answer they can come up with while calling themselves NASA scientists then I'd only hire em as Line Boys for afternoon social tennis games. Regardless of the 2012 date, that fool needs to get out more or at least watch the News now and then.

Is it any wonder why people educate themselves and set up their own sites to monitor what's happening out there.
This youtube site has videos that have been interesting in regards to Solar activity and earthquake prediction. Gives explanations about space weather graphs and planetary alignments too.

Earthquake and Solar watch

edit on 5-6-2011 by LexiconV because: Added a link

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm not saying anything will happen, but if a comet was going to destroy our planet in a year and a half, I highly doubt that NASA would come out and tell us we're all dead in a year and a half. That is a can of worms nobody would want to open.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
How can we have 100% confidence in their statements when some LARGE objects hurtling towards earth, are only discovered mere DAYS/WEEKS, before they whiz past?

The Earth has had a near miss this week when a huge asteroid whizzed past, less than 50,000 miles away.

The asteroid had been spotted by astronomers monitoring the skies

The asteroid - about the size of a 10-storey building - flew past the Earth at roughly twice the distance of the highest Earth-orbiting satellites, according to website space.com.

It is similar in size to a rock that exploded above Siberia in 1908, flattening 80 million trees across an 800 square mile area.

The impact had the force of a thousand atomic bombs, astronomers say.

Asteroid 2009 DD45 was closest to the earth on Monday at around 8.30am, at just under 45,000 miles above the surface of the planet.

Astronomers knew it was coming after it was spotted last Saturday as a faint dot showing up in pictures at the Siding Spring Observatory in Australia.

There was never any risk of collision, experts said, but anything flying within 50,000 miles of the Earth is taken very seriously.

The closest listed "flyby" to Earth by an asteroid happened in March 2004 when a small one - 2004 FU162 - measuring about 20 feet across came within about 4,000 miles of the earth.

Asteroids are rocks ranging in size from a few feet to several miles in diameter.

Most of them orbit the sun in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Well, I'm pretty sure there are planetary alignments, in fact we had alignments this past May. So there's that. Also, what about the Sun & it's recent changes?

The strange case of solar flares and radioactive elements
news.stanford.edu...

When researchers found an unusual linkage between solar flares and the inner life of radioactive elements on Earth, it touched off a scientific detective investigation that could end up protecting the lives of space-walking astronauts and maybe rewriting some of the assumptions of physics.

edit on 5-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
as i understand it, the mayan calendar was chiselled in stone and only records dates up until dec 21st 2012. why does not nasa explain why no further dates were given?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang
as i understand it, the mayan calendar was chiselled in stone and only records dates up until dec 21st 2012. why does not nasa explain why no further dates were given?

That and their calendar begins before the Mayans were a twinkle in Mother Earths eye.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
OK, please forgive this response if it ruffles feathers.....

I'll first begin by stating that I know NOTHING of Nibiru or Elenin (sp) outside of what is spoken about them here at ATS - reason being is that I just do not believe it all.

For those that are really, really REALLY into these two topics, I ask where is the proof???? Are your statements/beliefs of these doomsday events based on physical findings of your own doing (meaning you have ownership/access along with education in operating multimillion dollar equipment that stretches your eyesight to the furthest reaches of the astronomical landscape)? Or are you basing your beliefs on a bunch of unsubstantiated, unproven and regurgitated-rehashed "crap info" posted on some free blogspot or WordPress blog?

I am just curious..... so many want to dispute anything contradicting their beliefs. My question is where did the beliefs stem from?

If I am going to die in a hot and horrific fashion, I would like some REAL info that is backed by REAL science.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter
OK, please forgive this response if it ruffles feathers.....

I'll first begin by stating that I know NOTHING of Nibiru or Elenin (sp) outside of what is spoken about them here at ATS - reason being is that I just do not believe it all.

For those that are really, really REALLY into these two topics, I ask where is the proof???? Are your statements/beliefs of these doomsday events based on physical findings of your own doing (meaning you have ownership/access along with education in operating multimillion dollar equipment that stretches your eyesight to the furthest reaches of the astronomical landscape)? Or are you basing your beliefs on a bunch of unsubstantiated, unproven and regurgitated-rehashed "crap info" posted on some free blogspot or WordPress blog?

I am just curious..... so many want to dispute anything contradicting their beliefs. My question is where did the beliefs stem from?

If I am going to die in a hot and horrific fashion, I would like some REAL info that is backed by REAL science.

Just do a search on ATS & you'll find a plethora of arguments for & against it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

I think most people are aware of the contradictions between scientific research and opinions of scientists. I guess it depends on which ones you believe at the time.

I like blogs... especially when written by people interested in researching where and what all those dollars were spent on and what the capabilities of these devices are. Its not something you generally find on the 6 o'clock news.

EG... The Jindalee Operational Radar Network JORN.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The funny thing is, the origional "2012" theory was manufactured by Jose Argueles in 'the mayan factor' ( and Terrence McCkenna in "True hallucinations") and neither of those theories said anything about the world ending. It talks about consciousness shift on par with a 'hundredth monkey'. No end of the world.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
The funny thing is, the origional "2012" theory was manufactured by Jose Argueles in 'the mayan factor' ( and Terrence McCkenna in "True hallucinations") and neither of those theories said anything about the world ending. It talks about consciousness shift on par with a 'hundredth monkey'. No end of the world.

I don't believe the dooms days prophecies either but I do believe (hope!) there will be a positive conscious shift for humanity.

top topics

join