It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthworm plague sweeps Cincinnati..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

People across the Tri-State awoke to an unusual sight Thursday — thousands of earthworms lying dead on sidewalks and porches. WLWT was first alerted to the issue by Rick in West Chester. "This appears to have started sometime yesterday afternoon, as I do not remember seeing them yesterday morning," Rick wrote. Shortly after Rick's email, WLWT reporter Brian Hamrick began taking photos from his home in Florence, where thousands of worms coated the sidewalks of his neighborhood.

Lee Townsend, an entomologist at the University of Kentucky, said there could be three reasons: the recent heavy rains, mating season or acidic soils. Townsend said the rain and mating season were the most probably culprits. During mating season, the worms climb out of the ground and can get stuck on surfaces like the sidewalk, where they are left to die.

Source: www.msnbc.msn.com...

Its the worm rapture.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.

edit on Fri Jun 3 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
That's about how my driveway or sidewalk looks after a good rain.
Pick them up before they die and put them back on the grass. Or use them for fishing!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Wormaggedon!

Wormapoclypse!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
good, my lame boyfriend can go fishing with free bait for quite a while.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Happy to report: live near that area and earth worms are not visible, I repeat Not Visible on my sidewalk. Although all mine could have been the ones that got taken for the rapture

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

Nothin wrong with fishing. My grandpa and I used to have a compost heap specifically for easy access to worms.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
While it is plausible that this phenomenon is due to rain activity, it is also possible that there is a bigger cause for this event.

I would not pass this off as insignificant. Considering all thats going on, we can't say exactly what caused this.

Worms are very sensitive to changes in the Earth, like snakes, worms often make their way to the surface before earthquake activities.

If you are in Mid-America, keep an eye out for other strange events.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Why do I get the feeling it could be due to radioactive rain in the soil or poisonous gases deep underground relating to volcanic plasma..........

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Why do I get the feeling it could be due to radioactive rain in the soil or poisonous gases deep underground relating to volcanic plasma..........

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I was joking in the previous post, but really I wasn't as I live just a few minutes away from that area and have been outside most of the week. (vacation) There really hasn't been any abnormal amounts of earth worms visible anywhere here. It has been sunny and 80-90 degrees out all week.

Unless the video was from last week. We had a lot of t-storms and rain last week.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Wormageddon! I just LOL'd in my coffee. Love it! Star for you, too.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/933c5b277b77.gif[/atsimg]

Thanx OP...I get to use my favorite .gif again.

S&F

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Care to bet there's a leaky water main nearby?
2nd line, repeat the first line.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Look, I am going to go out and just say it...

It can only be one thing...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

At least it gets him outta your hair. Enjoy the time off. Have a girls day out...which often leads to a girls night out. Just like the guys.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Earthworms ain't nothing. We have a serious Graboid problem down south people!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Damn, your feelings are like superman or something. All I feel is sad, or happy, or hungry. I wanna be like you..

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smartbuddy

'Plague' is a bit much, not surprising from people out of touch from nature and their food source.

You are lucky to have them, the more the better
, they aerate the soil and constantly eat dirt and poop liquid gold fertilizer.

top topics

join