It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A female Navy Seal? not yet.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

It's true enough men have more upper body strength then we women do; but strength isn't all there is to it. It's also about will, about mental conditioning and the drive and desire to excel. I too am amazed at what I'm reading. Facts no more like opinions and we all know about opinions.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and I also think most of the reasoning in this thread against your argument is BS.

Becoming a spec ops warrior is a helluva lot more mental than anything else. Sure there are brutal physical requirements but being mentally tough will get most people through that.

There is a good documentary that follows a SEAL class through training(BUDS) including 'Hell Week' and there are some men that are in in top physical condition that just can't hack the mental aspect.

BUDS Class 234

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

Yea because the marines that I have had come up to me yelling in my face for no reason that they could kill me if they wanted too, are so mentally stable.

If you think women can't handle stressful situations, then obviously you have never worked around a bunch of shock trauma nurses.

Typical male, trying to use women's emotions against them.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

And wouldnt' women receive the same training as men in order to handle such situations. Doesn't the military prepare people for capture?

Anyone, men or women should be made aware of the potential threats they could face in that situation, if they feel they can't handle it, they can opt out.

Women have a higher pain tolerance then men. Have to in order to endure childbirth. I have seen men pass out from pain, I have never seen a woman do it.

link   
reply to post by Becoming

You guys are really delusional, lol. I'm sorry if you feel slighted for me saying that these comments are sexist from many of you, Howeverr as you said, the truth hurts.

As for my friend, I'm willing to bet that she could easily do a 12 mile hike in full battle rattle. I'm willing to also bet she could do more pull ups than 90% of you guys. She may even be abke to out bench most of you.

As for carrying a wounded comrade or the like well she can carry me for quite some distance and I am 6'4'' and weigh 300lbs.

link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Where in the physical requriement does it say that women have to do the same amount of anything during a pt test? Here are the Navy Pt standards for both men and women.

www.navy-prt.com...

www.navy-prt.com...

Yea some guys might not have passed the minimum, but atleast their minimum push ups isn't 17 like it is for females in the 20-24 age group. The kicker is that a male that is 50 years old is still requried to do more push ups then a 20 year old girl is requried to do.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I dont want to be rude.

But if you want to start talking about pain, im going to play the rape card again....... I find it hard to believe a male soldier would be gang raped by a bunch of beefy men, unless they were all gay ? i dont think so.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

There are also very few men who have the endurance to complete seal training.

The thing about SF is that they always choose the best individuals.
That means if a woman is within top batch that the team needs, she will be chosen. But if she is not, she wont be chosen.
The same rules apply for men. A lot of men pass seal training, but that does not mean they get to serve as navy seals after completion.

The reason there are no females navy seals, is because the best female don't measure up to the best males.
But to have a female navy seal, a female first have to enlist for seal training; pass the duration period and be evaluated fit to serve with a seal team.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

I think you would be surprised. Who says anyone is gay? Look at what the soliders did to the detainees in Guantanamo, are they gay?

One out of three women in the everyday world are assaulted at some point in there lives.

A lot of the women on ats have been.

Fact is, women put up with far more then will ever get credit for.
edit on 2-6-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I am not saying any woman should be allowed to serve. It is the elite of the elite.
But if female comes along and is able to pass the tests, then she should be allowed in. Period.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz

You guys are really delusional, lol. I'm sorry if you feel slighted for me saying that these comments are sexist from many of you, Howeverr as you said, the truth hurts.

As for my friend, I'm willing to bet that she could easily do a 12 mile hike in full battle rattle. I'm willing to also bet she could do more pull ups than 90% of you guys. She may even be abke to out bench most of you.

As for carrying a wounded comrade or the like well she can carry me for quite some distance and I am 6'4'' and weigh 300lbs.

I really don't care what you think you know. I have almost 2 decades worth of expieriance and I do know. I don't care how big you claim to be and I don't care how much you are willing to bet on her, I really don't care. I'm not going to stroke peoples ego on this one. If women think they can be in the same category as men in the military then lets start with something easier.

All women must pass the Pt test using the mens standard. I don't even care if they just do the standard.

Implement that policy change and then start talking about how women are as tough as guys and can be Seals.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Well good then. We agree. Just let them try. That is fair. I don't think they should get any special treatment whatsoever. Just a fair shake at doing what they want. I think they could be an asset.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: grammar

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by spy66

I am not saying any woman should be allowed to serve. It is the elite of the elite.
But if female comes along and is able to pass the tests, then she should be allowed in. Period.

No its not that easy. It is not just about passing the tests. Because a lot of men pass the tests.
Only the bests individual that pass the tests will be chosen.

If you have 16 individuals that pass all the test, but only 8 individuals are needed to fill the open spots. Then the best 8 will get to serve if they choose to.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

If all men are so capable to handle it, then why are so many males soldiers coming back with PTSD?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

A "shock trauma nurse" doesn't have to kill people. Can you kill a child pointing a weapon at you? Can you dress your own wound while taking fire? Do you really understand what we do in the wars over there? Do you think you can deal with people trying to kill you at least once a week? Women should never be in combat MOS's ever is my personal opinion. I can preach all day on why they shouldn't be in combat MOS's but you'll never understand where I'm coming from. Next time you are in Iraq or Afghanistan I suggest you go on a few route clearing missions or a raid, then ask your self if you can do that every day.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

PTSD Prevelance Rates

It was found that men and women differed in lifetime rates of PTSD. Surprisingly, women were twice as likely as men to have a diagnosis of PTSD at some point in their lifetime. Specifically, 10.4% of women and 5% of men were found to have PTSD at one time or another in their past.

Why might this be? This finding may partly be due to the fact that the women they interviewed were more likely than men to have experienced traumatic events such as rate that have a high likelihood of leading to the development of PTSD.

You see a higher rate of PTSD in male soldiers only if you do not correct for the bolded section.

If you wish, I can provide some studies done on the elevated numbers of PTSD in female police officers, inner city high school (post 9-11), and women over 50...in each case women show a higher rate of PTSD.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Nice example, prisoners in captivity being abused, so the are doing this to male detainees, again.

What do you think would happen if it was a woman? they would probably take turns, or not even bother waiting, I dont know why you are trying to dispute my point, it is very clear and very relevant.

Iam not saying woman shouldnt be given the chance, if they ARE 100% just as good as a male candidate, then maybe they should be ? regardless my point is still very valid.

I dont doubt that there are woman who may have been attacked, on this site or not, its the same thing, its unacceptable & disgusting.

I think you should rephrase your last statement and instead of 'fighting for your fellow female' you fight for 'fellow humanity'

'Fact is, women put up with far more then will ever get credit for'

Im sure there are other fellow humans who've had to endure alot more than anything you can even imagine.

'If all men are so capable to handle it, then why are so many males soldiers coming back with PTSD?'

You are talking soldiers, not navy seals, this comment is disrespectful to the armed forces as a whole & comparing your average grunt to a cracksquad elite navy seal, is like, well... Comparing a male body builder to your average tiny female. If im putting it into your terms.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't really see what the big deal is over this?

If the testing remains the same and the selection process remains the same, the resulting soldier performance will remain the same...regardless of who applies.

This is really common sense.

If women want to apply themselves to the existing standards, let them have at it. Worst case scenario, you are where you are now, best case scenario, you get a larger SF proficiency in the Navy. Where is the problem?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

no worst case scenario is they get people killed

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Hate to tell you but when I was doing them we didn't get breaks. Oh yeah and I was four weeks out from having my daughter and had to do the full pt test. However a man who was "recovering" from a sprained ankle got a pass for the year. Don't presume to tell me what I did and didn't do, you weren't there were you? Women are much stronger then you seem to realize, stronger and tougher.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join