It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reiki, A history and a place to share experiences.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ok not too sure how to start this, i was asked a couple of months ago on here to do a post on reiki by a couple of people i was having a discussion with about it. I guess ive only just decided i have it in me to do it so please bear with me.

I guess the best place to start is with the origins of reiki. Athough some may argue that Reiki on other forms has existed for centuries i will be making this thread with the assumption that it was started by Mikao Usui in the early 1900's. the most widely believed origins are that Usui had a 21 day fast and meditation session on Mt. Kurama during which the reiki symbols appeared to him, and after he returned from the mountain he was able to do treatments for people. At first he started to give away his healing for free to those who wanted it, mainly homeless or poor people, but he noticed that people had no respect for it and kept coming to him expecting to get treatments. After this he decided that he should charge people a small amount as it would mean more to people if they part with money for their treatments.

Usui also started to attune and teach people to perform reiki treatments for others also. Usui requested of one of his students, Dr Hayashi, to develop Reiki so it was more accessible, he in turn passed his knowledge to Mrs Takata who bought Reiki to the west. She decided to simplify the system for westerners, by reducing the hand positions used and not using alot of the techniques she was taught. She also started the fee system for learning reiki, which depending on how you feel about could be considered rather ridiculously overpriced, i have seen figures showing that she would charge 10,000 dollars for the master level. Mrs Takata also believed that reiki should be of the oral tradition and did not allow her students to take notes during her lessons. She would allow her students to practice drawing symbols, but would make them burn every copy. alot of the work she did to make reiki sacred for those who wanted to learn, was in vain as all you have to do is go on the internet and you can find the symbols and an awful lot of info about reiki.

here are a couple of sites i found very useful when i was first introduced to reiki. I'll also post a link to wikipedia if you want more info on reiki history and traditions.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.freewebs.com...

The second link i have posted has alot of infromation on it for anyone interested in learning reiki or even for curious people who would like to no more.

I was also asked to share some of my experiences with reiki so ill start from the beginning i guess. I was unfortunatley discharged from the army and to be honest i never really cared about this kind of stuff, i knew about it because of my family but i never got involved, then one day things kind of changed in me, its difficult to explain but i had an overwhelming urge to help others and do good. so from there i decided to take the plunge and do the first level of reiki and it was the most emotional experience of my life having the attunements done. its hard for me as an ex-soldier to admit but i was crying a little but i felt amazing and everything looked and felt different for me. from there i did my level 2 and when i started to do treatments for people outside of my family it was truly amazing how people reacted to the treatments. some people would look and act so miserable and stressed but after they would be so happy and some almost more energetic. it is always a truly exceptional feeling to know you have helped someone.

Id like to hear from other practitioners or people who have had treatments so we can share experiences. Oh and if i made any mistakes with the history feel free to correct me as i did it all from memory.

thanks for reading

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hi - Since you are in the UK, you might want to check out Reiki Evolution (www.reikievolution.co.uk) Great website with lots of info & some free stuff to download if you want.... If you want the history as best as it is known, there is a recent book written by Don Beckett - (Reiki, The True Story) reikithetruestory.com...

Love & Light

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by highseer

thank you i will check it out.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Wonderful! Reiki II here. I mostly work on family but occasionally get to share with friends. I love it when I see a total skeptic walk away feeling so much better. Have you or any other Reiki practicioners noticed that women tend to respond better to Reiki? I have all kinds of questions, lol, but I will start with that one.

Thank you for starting this post!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christarella
Wonderful! Reiki II here. I mostly work on family but occasionally get to share with friends. I love it when I see a total skeptic walk away feeling so much better. Have you or any other Reiki practicioners noticed that women tend to respond better to Reiki? I have all kinds of questions, lol, but I will start with that one.

Thank you for starting this post!

i think it is the best feeling in the world when skeptics walk away as believers.I do mind, body and spirit events near where i live, there is tarot readers and allsorts there and i find it is easier to get women to have a treatment as opposed to men.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So a few experiences that I have had-- Firstly, pre Reiki I had a coworker who suffers from Fibromyalgia and her desk was located behind mine about ten feet away. I could literally feel her misery, not that I was experiencing her pain, thankfully, but I could feel the misery coming off of her in waves. I kept thinking that I wished I could help her. I know this is going to sound like a crock to some, but Reiki really does come to you. I kept seeing the word. I am an avid reader. I saw the word in one of those smutty romance novels and stored it somewhere in the back of my mind for further research, which I didn't do. A few days later, I saw the word again and thought, hmmm, there's that word again. Busy, I didn't check it out. This happened a few times until I spotted an article in the newspaper about it and finally looked into it. It struck me that this was something I could do to help alleviate my friends discomfort. So I learned how to do it and it really has helped her. No, her Fibro is not gone, but the Reiki helps her to relax and eases the pain for a bit at a time. I want her to learn so that she can do this for herself

My sister, who is the biggest skeptic on the planet, next to my husband, that is, was having trouble with her achiles tendon, she was walking but very painfully and was miserably complaining. I offered her Reiki and she gave me this look like "whatever" and kind of rolled her eyes. I just shrugged. She then asked me what I would have to do, like I was going to dance around her with a bone in my nose or something. I told her that I would just sit with her foot in my hand for a bit. After a bit of hesitation she agreed. This was during a family get together so we found a spot where we could still visit with everyone while I held her foot. About 15 minutes or so into the treatment, my brother, who was drunk picked a fight with his son in law and we went outside to separate them. When we came back inside, she stopped mid stride and said "Oh my God, I am walking. I have no pain." She was really really surprised (so was I, a little
. However after she left she decided to work on everything that she'd been putting off because of the pain and reinjured it. She received more Reiki and now swears by it.

Since then I have worked on knees, bee stings, cuts, burns, sinus issues, head, neck and back aches, heartburn. It works amazing for hearburn! Teething infants, dogs, cats with great success. Reiki is an amazing tool and I think everyone should have at least one person in their family who knows how to do it. It is not a replacement for medical attention but for minor aches and pains and works well assisting modern medicine in healing. One thing many do not know, is that Reiki is being used in more and more hospitals all the time. That in itself should give it a little weight.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i've been practicing reiki type healing for many years. i've helped all sorts of people help them self heal. i've sent energy to people fighting serious allegations in court, they got off.(maybe i helped), healed my own pollups, helped another heal her own cysts on her arm(via hands on and distance), i've helped many people and myself relax, and ease their pain.via distance i helped my dad fight a kidney and bladder infection that had him hospitalized.

there are two times i can think of that didn't have positive results. once a friend wasn't feeling good with a stomach ache and a head ache.i asked him if i could do reiki. he reluctantly said yes. i made him feel worse. i chaulk it up to him not asking me.

the second time was when i found out a neighbor had a brain tumor. i passed along to my sis that i would offer to send energy. the person said i could via my sis. i had no effect that i'm aware of.

the power of universal energy is amazing.learn how to use it to help the world heal itself.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Finished Reiki Master earlier this year. I hope to start Master Teacher this winter.

Most amazing thing for me in my life. I also was being pulled to help people. It was overwhelming. I just seemed to be drawn to Reiki. I don't even remember why. But since I started my life has felt so right and everything has started to fit into place. Not only with Reiki but with energy work, meditation, etc... It has just opened so many doors and I feel like a better person for it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'd love to practise reiki.... i really, really want to learn the propper way to do it. Sadly, reiki practicioners here are so greedy, they charge you a lot of money to learn and even to get a basic balancing session... It's sad that things like this one are just for an elite here...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
2 friends are Reiki Masters, and Ive had some amazing experinces with them. One "out-of-body" during a healing session that was truely inspiring and soul-healing.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Hi to all, i am Arcfyre's wife, and also a Karuna Reiki Master, currently busy with Lighterian Reiki.
i can truly say, that Reiki changed my life, i am also a very religous person, was on the verge of a breakdown, when i decided to quit my job and do Reiki. i was lucky and very much guided to my Reiki Master, because things are really changing for me and my family. reiki shows you what you are capable off, gives you confidence. I know that everyone is talking about God conscouisness, but i believe that i was guided by God to do Reiki, as i truly get amazing results with my clients, i am also a prof nurse and have always known that there must be a form off healing, without giving people a list of medicine to take, which makes them miserable. Love and light to all xxx

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hello, Arcfyre's wife! I love to hear about people in the medical profession coming to Reiki. Good for you that you made such a leap of faith to follow your calling. I wish I was that brave. I recently lost my job due to cutbacks and would love to believe that it is a sign that I need to do something like this but I guess I am still hesitant. I think my issue is that I believe that Reiki should be given as a gift at this point in my life. When it comes down to whether or not most of my time is being spent racing around trying to give everyone Reiki in between working for a living I will probably change my mind and start charging a little for it, but I can't do that at this stage, it feels wrong for me, so I will go with that gut instinct thing. Maybe after I get a few more non family people under my belt and build more confidence.

Initially in this thread, I asked about women being more open to the healing than men. Do you find this as well?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I just took a Reiki 1 class this Saturday and Sunday. Going in I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to feel anything different (energy flow, etc). They say that whether you feel anything or not the Reiki is flowing, and just trust it. But I still think it would be nice to be able to feel something happening. Over the weekend the biggest thing I felt was everyone's hands got really hot. It was a cool, shaded room, so we all knew something was happening. And when we worked on each other I always felt really relaxed and sleepy but when I stood up I felt energized, not like I had just almost fell asleep.

Overall it was a very interesting and enjoyable experience and I look forward to practicing a lot. Right off the bat I knew I'd want to take the level 2 attunement, but the teacher said that it would be $500 "because it's a deeper commitment". I guess I can respect that, but there's no way I'm going to have that much to spare for years, so I'll probably just end up learning as much as I can on my own and practicing lots to get better. And I'd be happy to learn somewhere cheaper if they don't turn out to be swindlers.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Its a shame to hear that they are greedy where you are. Ive seen many people that charge so much money. id happily spend all day giving reiki away for free if i could.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hi again, yes i have found that women are def more open to reiki than men, but i must say, that it is very interesting doing reiki on men, you see a person for who they really are and not who they are trying to be.
In answer to people who gets over charged for recieving reiki classes, i don't think they are true spirits, and you shouldn't get classes from them. And anyway, reiki classes over weekend are not good for your emotional and spiritual well being, your body needs to adapt to each atunement so is your emotional state. I did my reiki 1,2 and advance in 8 weeks, masters in 4 weeks, karuna in 4 weeks, and had incredible changes in my life, and had the time to work through each of them. As for charging so much money, shame on you who is quilty of this. We were all born with this gift, why charge so much in giving it back.
Love and light.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
JohnnyB, thanks for another interesting post on ATS.

My experience:
I attended a Reiki first grade course some years ago. I had all kinds of interesting sensations, felt strong energies flowing, sometimes even nearly too intense. My hands have been really hot, even felt it 2days later.

Then somehow my life went to turmoil again, which was not Reiki-related. I experienced many losses, as well financial ones, so i could not afford the second course. And somehow nearly forgot about it.

Just a couple of weeks ago I met another girl who is deep into Reiki and other sorts of spiritual healings.
We discussed many things and i told her, that i did the first grade years ago.
As well told her that i went through all kinds of difficult mental states in the last few years.

She told me it is very dangerous to just "open up" in the first grade, without doing the next grades, where, according to her, you're supposed to learn "protection techniques" and basically learn more about how to guide the energies. She was very clear about her warning, telling me (in a kind way) that my behaviour was very stupid and dangerous.

What do you guys think ? Is it like this ?
I would really like to do the next grades, but where I live the courses are really expensive.
Maybe any hints where there would be an affordable way to learn it.
I hate it when it all comes down to money . but sadly real live seems to be that way nowadays..

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

if you learned in reiki 1( or first grade as you say) properly, you would have learned that reiki is universal life force energy, it is the energy all around us. It is not personal energy, meaning you do not tap into your own source. In terms of protection many people that do other types of energy work, are always talking about protection, imo because they are using personal energy.
I know that certain reiki teachers do talk of protection, often in terms of not letting peoples energy back into your arms. surrounding yourself with white light and the such.
For me this point is mute. If I am doing a session, I am conduit only, the energy flows from point a to b through me. In terms of physics, the path of least resistance, from warm to cold, high energy to low, it flows in one direction only. I am doing the work of White Light, we are all light workers, light triumphs the dark.
Your friend is working in a fear based mentality. Have no fear. Know your intentions are for the persons well being, eliminate as much baggage as you are able in your life, accept others, and yourself, love others and yourself, forgive others and yourself, and nothing can hurt you. you are as pure as your intentions.
blessings

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jgarcya

Anyone who is out there, who is broke and can't afford reiki, check out this book.

Essential reiki. A complete guide to an ancient healing art. by Diane Stein. The Crossing Press. 1995.

she explains her journey, knowing that reiki should be free, and universal like the energy. She believed it should not be secretive and published what she learned to be the symbols. There are many varieties, even of the so called ones directly given by mikao usui. anyone knows if you tell a tale down the line of people it will be different than when it started. the symbols were to be kept secret and not written down, so there will be varieties. She teaches the self healing hand positions, positions for others, chakras, kundalini opening, the attunement process. Much that i have learned i owe to diane stein, if i was ever to have a Master(other than my creator), i'd pick her.

I've been told by a reiki level 3 practitioner that i was the strongest energy she ever worked with. Same goes with a level 2 student i worked on, she said i had a greater affect on her than her master. I done a session with a level two 2 side by side with me, and the recipient was telling everyone for weeks how strong the session was for him, especially the energy he felt under my hands.My point being. you don't need a master. you need the desire, the intent, and you will find your way. Meditate daily and you will find your energy.

Warning:Reading from this book and practicing the symbols will get you shunned from some traditional reiki masters, it hurts their ego and their pocket book. I have personal first hand knowledge of this on multiple occasions. In a few months i will start teaching as many people as i am able for free. I have received master level attunement for free and will do the same for others. I have a similar story of Diane's in terms of my quest for free reiki, and succeeded. so can you.
blessings.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
jgarcya, thank you very much for your kind and informative answer. as well as the info on the book.
definetely gonna check that out.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jgarcya

hi, i agree with you that the energy is not personal, and that we are a conduit for universal energy, but it does happen at times that you need that higher protection, esp from forces beyond what you expect. That is where faith and reiki comes together, and the protection symbol is then needed and of great help, but you only get it in reiki 2, which i cannot for the live of me understand why people teach and charge seperately. It should all be in one course. I decided on my own that i do not want to be dependant on all my symbols, i prefer to just pray and wait for answers. But on days like today, i really had to use my symbols for self protection and that of my staff, i really had negative forces in my clinic today, and actually saw the demon and not the man. And i started praying and used my symbols,and really felt protected. And i had a very strange look from this man trying to influence me. Good always wins over evil. Xxxx

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join