It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking news about future Earth changes

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSpeech
Out of curiousity, what kind of impact would this type of event have on active or inactive nuclear plants?

Would not let me copy and paste to quote, but a good article for information:
netfiles.uiuc.edu... %20Installations.pdf

NORMAL OPERATIONS * In a reactor operating normally, pumps circulate water through the reactor core to keep the rods from overheating. The temperature inside a reactor operating normally is about 550 degrees F (285 C). See www.nrc.gov/reactors/bwrs.html on the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission site for diagrams on how water moves through a boiling water reactor operating normally.
ORDERLY SHUT DOWN * When a reactor shuts, pumps continue to move water over the fuel rods. The electricity to run the pumps usually comes from off-site power supplies brought in by transmission lines. But, if the power lines fail, the plants have redundant on-site power sources, including backup diesel generators and batteries.
BLACK-OUT * When all sources of power fail like at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, coolant begins to boil off, exposing the fuel rods. It would likely take several hours to boil off enough coolant before the core is hot enough to damage it. If the fuel rods became damaged they would release radioactive material into the remaining coolant. - Hours beyond that the metal surrounding the ceramic uranium fuel pellets could potentially start melting if temperatures reach well beyond 1000 F as occurred at Three Mile Island. The ceramic fuel pellets would not melt until temperatures reached about 2000 degrees F. - Hours after the fuel rods started to melt, the heat could potentially melt through the reactor vessel, which is made of high tensile steel four to eight inches thick - It would take even more time before the containment fails, which could result in radioactive releases to the environment. The containment is an air tight steel or reinforced concrete structure with walls between four to eight feet thick. As the Three Mile Island accident showed, operators can regain control of the situation if they can get the coolant flowing again.

www.reuters.com...

That's pretty scary, to think with no electricity, and I imagine the diesel generators would be toast also after an EMP, thinking of the possibility of all the nuclear plants melting down at once. Massive radiation poisoning.

Am I reading the information correctly, and am I correct in thinking the generators would be toast also?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
In all the Scifi movies, there is some scientist that had been ostracised by the scientific community who comes up with the answer that saves the earth. That's Hollywood, folks. Take it from an electrical engineer, there's no fix for this. If we have a really major solar-magnetic storm, buy candles in quantity.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Given that the solar system resides north of the galactic plane and is traveling north of the galactic plane at the rate of 7 kilometers per second, that means we’ll be farther out from the galactic plane in 2012 than we are at present.

Yes, the sun and the stars of our galaxy revolve around the center of the Milky Way. The astronomer Ken Croswell (in his article The Brightest Red Dwarf in the July 2002 issue of Sky & Telescope magazine) reports, “As they orbit the Milky Way, stars bob up and down through the galactic plane like horses on a merry-go-round.” Our sun stands as no exception. According to the astronomer Karen Masters, the sun crosses the galactic plane in periods of about 35 million years. One revolution of the sun around the galactic center takes an estimated 230 million years.

hrm. do any of those periods directly align with mass extinction?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zbrain75

Originally posted by QuietSpeech
"Just an uneducated thought, as most of this is way over my head... It sounds like we have the opportunity to store massive amounts of electricity if we thought it through. What would happen if we made this a universal recharge ? "

:It would be a virtually unlimited energy supply if it could be safely harnessed and used. It would be like collecting, storing and using the energy from lighting. It would be a nice trick and hopefully can be done someday. "

Tesla figured out how to do this with our own Ionosphere , but the millitary and big money got a hold of it ..However i believe its the same concept .It is sad to know we had such a genius who figured out so much about the Universe and how energy works, only to have much of his work taken and hidden .BTW outstanding job OP so well putt together APPLAUD
edit on 1-6-2011 by essanance because: Mis Type and quote correction

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Very well written OP, and an interesting topic for sure. We cannot
rule out the possibility that we may be on the verge of an E.L.E.
In what form I don't know, but I do feel something is in the pipeline
and the powers that be know a hell of a lot more than they are telling IMHO.

But ask yourself this, would you want to be underground with the "elite"
or would you rather take your chance on the surface and if it gets really
bad just go out in a blaze of glory?

I'm all for being on the outside helping those that can help us re-group
and form some kind of tribe where we work out our own plans and just
get on with what we have to deal with with whatever we have to work with.

I'm all for an ATS mass meet up and getting a plan together because I
believe we have some of the best minds here to survive whatever comes our
way in the future.Well that's what I would like to happen anyhow.
S & F

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Having parents who lived successfully through the Great depression, I've always lived within the shadow of that concern. You might call me a 'Prepper', but I think of it as common sense.

My home was built before 1865. It has a metal roof, and is very solid. If we are struck with natural elements such as a tornado, there is little I can prepare for, but if we have only normal weather, the house should be just fine. My home is on a farm in the deep country. That affords us some protection from outsiders.

I live in an area of the country in which winter is brutal. So presently I've a year's supply of coal. I'm going to increase that to about 10 years supply. The coal stoves don't require any electric, so we will be both warm, and have a cook top & oven.

Our water supply is a 90' well. The submersible pump will likely not be workable, so we have an alternative water supply. It is a spring and it flows into a nicely sealed Spring Box, about 1000 feet from the house. Not as convenient as a well with electric pump, but close. Also I've purchased a hand pump for the well, and the pipe and foot valve, to use in the well if the electric is out.

I"ve purchased a composting toilet. It isn't presently used, but awaiting the day it will be needed.

I've many gallons of lamp oil and also white gas for Coleman type lanterns. Also have hundreds of candles.

The big problem is food storage. We have been buying dry foods, and storing them in safe containers that will protect us from rats and insects. We also have been canning foods, and buying foods in both cans, and glass jars, with an emphasis on the glass jars, especially for tomato products. Our basement is very cold year-round, so that will help with food storage.

Obviously dairy and meats can't easily be stored without a refrigerator or freezer, but we are fortunate to live near a small dairy farm so at least at first we will have a source of dairy. Likewise meats. We will help the farmer feed and other chores in exchange for food.

We plant a small vegetable garden. I am contemplating a small greenhouse, with a tank for raising fish for food. With coal heat, this should work ok, just a few bugs to iron out for a no-electric operation.

We make our own beer, and hope to soon build a still for both drinking alcohol, and for rubbing alcohol.

Purchasing a large diesel generator is one of our hopes this year. However if the starter and the generator itself is wiped out when just standing there, I don't have a backup idea.

I'm elderly and so somewhat dependent upon certain medicines. When they run out, my life will get shorter, but my family has good health, and they can survive.

Of course we have weapons, and backup protection, none of which needs electricity.

We have lots of unread books for entertainment, and already go to be when it gets dark and up with the birds.

Finally: I've tried to convince my city friends, that they need to prepare. I'm an ant, they are grasshoppers. I can't do any more than suggest.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyaroura

S & F

If the magnetic fields involved are large enough there is no where on Earth where someone could hide and not have all of there modern circuits destroyed .My hope is that the people who will rebuild have discovered a way to better protect technology or perhaps a whole new type that does not depend on our current understanding of technology . I should also say i hope they dont plan on just letting everyone else die =(

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is good stuff. You are more onto it than most

My conclusions....

Stuff will happen that we cannot control and cannot escape. If you are worried, then you have no real purpose here on earth. I know I will die eventually. I've faced death several times already but mostly being unaware of what actaully happened around me till afterward (yes, I mean I'm being looked after).

Many may say there is no God. Keep believing that then and face a future you are obviously certain about. Even if you were right, I can face what you will face without any fear or regret and with more courage a well. And if that is what a belief in a God that turns out (from your perspective) not to be real, I still have something those around me don't and have not missed out on a single thing on earth while I live here. It's seems only in disaster that people turn to God or something to give them hope and then when it's over regress again.

I believe that cosmic bodies will hit the earth at some point. I believe our way of life (electronic) will be disrupted to a point that people who rely on it can't cope. As a result those under age 25 (who can't cope in any age) will cause the most grief and destruction (after all they do that now anyway).

When something hits the earth, all the people will go "God help us!" an I'd say "Why ask for it now?"

Keep feeding us this research, this is a good thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I would like to comment on a piece of evidence you presented, which is in fact entirely misconstrued. I have not yet gone through many of the sources you provided, but I found glaring problems with what I did look at. What I am referring to is as follows:

You offer an article from Space.com that details the military's decision to discontinue the release of data involving meteors entering the Earth's atmosphere. You then emphasize that if NASA were aware of something that may be a threat, they would most likely not tell the public.

I hope that the rest of your "research" is presented in a more believable fashion, because it is clear that you did not understand this particular happening and what ensued.

First of all, it has nothing to do with NASA at all. The data were coming from military satellites operated by the US Air Force. The system itself consists of 23 satellites designed to monitor objects entering the Earth's atmosphere, mainly missiles. The fact that it also captured meteor entries was just a by-product of the design and technology. It is unclear when the military first made the decision to stop allowing access to the data, which consisted only of sending semi-detailed reports in anonymous emails to select scientists and researchers, but it was sometime between Jan and June of 2009.

There was speculation regarding the exact reasoning behind this maneuver, but the glaring fact that is hard to miss is that they were launching a completely new $10 billion early warning satellite network, which purportedly contained upgraded technology and would provide much more detail for military applications. It was speculated that the system did not have the proper configuration to sort classified and unclassified data, therefore making it too difficult to release the same info as before.

Despite what happened, and all the hub-bub in 2009, the military has since changed its policy, and currently do allow certain scientists access to the data.

Also, I think there is some confusion about what the system actually does. It is NOT designed to find or detect asteroids on a collision course with Earth. It was designed to detect objects entering the atmosphere, so by the time this system detected an asteroid we would all be dead. It is an EARLY WARNING SYSTEM, but for MISSILES fired at the United States.

So in conclusion, saying that NASA could be hiding data regarding space rocks is completely unfounded and inaccurate, and I hope that your other conclusions are based more on fact rather than speculation, with a blatant disregard for the facts presented in your own evidence and links.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here is a good link to answer a lot of the OP concerns from someone who actually knows the science.
astrobiology.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Reality Check: Monster Magnetic Storm, Evil Black planet or Super Comet, we are toast. Should you happen to have the golden ticket giving you, (but no one else you care about), access too the underground government made hades and free use of frozen seeds in Norway, good luck transversing the globe, absent any mechanical transportation that you may need to climb from your hole and reach the frozen seeds in Norway.Besides once you get there you are in " a Frozen cave in NORWAY", Good luck with that cucumber crop, The irony of this discussion is that the nerds who blog this site will be the first to go. while the midnight at Walmart crowd who will survive has no idea where NORWAY is. Get a life. If you are right, no one will be left to care, Go cure cancer or something useful.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It is very weak when people discredit a thread and they have 1 post , sigh its sad we have so many people ...or perhaps the same people attacking threads here on ATS .

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yes youre correct I was a first time poster. But just reading the "known facts" on the first page made me sickened by the lack of real research of the OP to actually sign up for account here and post.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyaroura
Very well written OP, and an interesting topic for sure. We cannot
rule out the possibility that we may be on the verge of an E.L.E.
In what form I don't know, but I do feel something is in the pipeline
and the powers that be know a hell of a lot more than they are telling IMHO.

I'm all for being on the outside helping those that can help us re-group
and form some kind of tribe where we work out our own plans and just
get on with what we have to deal with with whatever we have to work with.

I'm all for an ATS mass meet up and getting a plan together because I
believe we have some of the best minds here to survive whatever comes our
way in the future.Well that's what I would like to happen anyhow.
S & F

There are groups of people all over making makeshift plans for after the collapse.....Just google survival networks and the like. Yes, I am staying topside too.

However, there are a few ATS members that I'd prolly have to shoot on site, the first time they opened their mouth to whine about something. Hehehe.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissingRonnieR
Reality Check: Monster Magnetic Storm, Evil Black planet or Super Comet, we are toast. Should you happen to have the golden ticket giving you, (but no one else you care about), access too the underground government made hades and free use of frozen seeds in Norway, good luck transversing the globe, absent any mechanical transportation that you may need to climb from your hole and reach the frozen seeds in Norway.Besides once you get there you are in " a Frozen cave in NORWAY", Good luck with that cucumber crop, The irony of this discussion is that the nerds who blog this site will be the first to go. while the midnight at Walmart crowd who will survive has no idea where NORWAY is. Get a life. If you are right, no one will be left to care, Go cure cancer or something useful.

Here a tidbit of useful information: How seed banks work. There are thousands of them all over the world.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Am I the only one to catch the pun in the title? "Shocking" news? EMP blackouts? LOL.

Excellent thread, good scope of the field.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Benchkey

Can I be YOUR friend when the SHTF?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zbrain75

While reading, I found myself holding my breath awaiting each new word and sentence. My heart sped up and my stomach felt weak.....

I think it is because my inner and higher self knows that it just *Could Happen, FOR REAL*

My Heart Breaks for my family because if the day comes......I really am not sure what we will do.......

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Many of the comments here have been very good and there are some legitimate questions.  Some of the additional information provided by some of you is very valuable and it will help in additional research. I will try to answer questions that I can shed some light on as time allows.

Everyone needs to realize that this is NOT an end of the world thread.  Life will go on although it will change.  These kinds of events have happened in ancient times and they have been documented.  Humans and animals survived.  We just need to be prepared for what may change as much as possible.  Governments seem to be reacting to this and we should also.

This thread is primarily about the magnetic ribbon identified by NASA and its effects on the solar system combined with other solar phenomenon including solar cycles.  Discussion about any other large objects and comets in the solar system are applicable because of their effect on the sun or other possible magnetic effects on the earth.  This thread is not specifically about Elenin or Nibiru.  I think most of us here realize that.

I created this thread to increase awareness and allow those who are interested to compare notes.  Hopefully, together, we can reach a logical conclusion. And as some have stated, working together is key.

To the nay sayers I say, please contribute something.  If you have something useful to add, please add it.  To criticize a source without cause is not productive.  It is better to cite reasons why a source is not reliable, such as providing examples of inaccurate information they have provided in the past.  However, even that is not as productive as providing specific evidence to show that electromagnetic activity in the solar system will NOT increase.  I would really like to see that and genuinely hope you are right.  So please provide us with your research results rather than spouting negativity.

Everyone should be aware that the electromagnetic phenomenon described in this thread has been documented as having happened in the past by several reliable sources.  Whether it was caused by some magnetic cloud that the solar system passed through or something else is not worthy of a major argument.  However, determining the cause is important since it would help us know if it is likely to happen, when, and how severely. The electromagnetic phenomenon has happened in the past and it is beginning to look like it may happen again.  Why would the National Research Council be concerned about severe space weather events on society and the economy?  Do they do these kind of studies because they are bored and can't think of anything better to do?  Do you suppose governments are busy building bunkers and purchasing food because they are preparing for a Sunday picnic on a rainy day?

We may not be able to get specific information but we can get clues as to whether there is a threat by watching the behavior of those who may know. We can also get additional clues from those who may be in the know, not only by paying attention to what they say but by what they do not say. I will provide examples of this as I can and I have some specific questions of my own regarding the NASA articles which I will post.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Your post motivated me to look closer at the NASA site and find out exactly what they have been willing to post. Although I posted the three articles, I will post them again here for the sake of discussion.

Here is the first NASA article regarding the discovery of the magnetic ribbon in October of 2009:
Giant Ribbon Discovered at the Edge of the Solar System
Here is the most descriptive information about the "ribbon" that is in the article:

The ribbon is not a source of light, but rather a source of particles--energetic neutral atoms or ENAs. IBEX's sensors can detect these particles, which are produced in the outer heliosphere where the solar wind begins to slow down and mix with interstellar matter from outside the solar system.

The article says IBEX discovered it and IBEX is in Earth's orbit but detects ENAs, that are obviously outside the solar system. I would like to know how it does this. Does it sense some type of radiation or some magnetic field from the ENAs?

The ribbon also has fine structure--small filaments of ENA emission no more than a few degrees wide: image. The fine structure is as much of a mystery as the ribbon itself, researchers say.

How is this detected from so far away?

In December of 2009, NASA followed it up with this article:
Giant Ribbon Discovered at the Edge of the Solar System
In this article, they note that they obtained additional data from Voyager to detect the magnetic field.

"Using data from Voyager, we have discovered a strong magnetic field just outside the solar system," explains lead author Merav Opher, a NASA Heliophysics Guest Investigator from George Mason University. "This magnetic field holds the interstellar cloud together and solves the long-standing puzzle of how it can exist at all."

They get more descriptive about the "ribbon" or "cloud":

Astronomers call the cloud we're running into now the Local Interstellar Cloud or "Local Fluff" for short. It's about 30 light years wide and contains a wispy mixture of hydrogen and helium atoms at a temperature of 6000 C. The existential mystery of the Fluff has to do with its surroundings. About 10 million years ago, a cluster of supernovas exploded nearby, creating a giant bubble of million-degree gas. The Fluff is completely surrounded by this high-pressure supernova exhaust and should be crushed or dispersed by it.

The article continues to discuss how the cloud is held together and says it is strongly magnetized showing strength between 4 and 5 microgauss. I am guessing this reading was taken by Voyager yet in the first article, it was claimed that the cloud was between the two Voyager spacecraft. How was this measurement taken? Additional questions this brings up are:
1. How was the temperature determined?
2. What is the density of the "cloud" or "ribbon"? Can it be measured in fractions of atmospheres or inches of mercury? (I would expect the density to still be relatively low since it is in space).
3. Why does NASA think this was created by supernovas?
4. If the fluff is surrounded by high-pressure supernova exhaust, won't the solar system pass through this exhaust and what will its effect be?

Here is the third article from January 15, 2010:
Mystery of the Giant Ribbon, Solved?
They put a question mark in the title indicating that they are not sure. Yet to me they make several statements that are somewhat contradictory to previous information. First it states that solar wind particles are reflected back into the solar system due to a galactic magnetic field.
1. How strong would this galactic magnetic field need to be to do this?
2. How did they detect this galactic magnetic field?
3. How large is this galactic magnetic field and what causes it?
4. What new information did NASA find that prompted this article?
5. Is this article accurate or is it intended to quell speculation and apprehension about possible changes in our solar system due to this discovered "ribbon" or "cloud"?

Now we know, there could be a strong, well-organized magnetic field sitting right on our doorstep."

Is this a reference to the "cloud" or "ribbon" or this galactic magnetic field? If it is a galactic magnetic field, how is it that it is sitting right on our doorstep?
The article concludes by talking about the ribbon again. So are we talking about a reflection or a ribbon of magnetic gas?

So weedwacker's question really caused more questions. What is being discussed here was discovered by NASA and described on NASA's website. Additional information from reliable sources indicates a history of electromagnetic activity which may be associated with this cloud. These are questions that I and others on this site are looking for answers to, so rather than taking pot shots, I invite you to pitch in, find some useful material to either support the ideas and theories discussed, or prove them wrong and help solve some of these mysteries. If you don't think there are mysteries that may be associated with this, please tell me:
1. What caused the Norway spiral?
2. What causes the mystery booms that I have seen reported on this site?
3. Why does there seem to be a recent increase in stormy weather?
4. Why is earthquake activity on the rise?
5. What causes cycles in solar activity? Why are filaments popping up on the sun?
6. What is causing changes in Earth's magnetic field?
7. Why did the sun rise early in Greenland this spring?
8. What is causing the bird dieoff's?
9. What caused the geomagnetic storm in 1859? What may cause it again and when may it happen?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join