It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar flaring warning issued!....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The true explanation is just too large, to state it as cut and dried. But for the sake of people being fear affected and who may not have a big picture grasp, that is the best way to explain it. Nothing to fear. Its not affecting your seasons or heat index, and any effects are not the ones people are worried about.

For the simple folk: The frying pan is on the other side of the room. Even if the bacon it spattering boiling oil, its not going to hit you.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Sky watcher

I didn't say the Sun does not affect weather. It is the primary driver of weather.

I said solar flares do not affect weather. The total energy released by the most powerful flares is a small fraction of the total energy released by the Sun every second.

If a flare "reached out and barbecued" any part of the Earth I would not have the same opinion. But, besides the fact that solar flares don't "reach out", that hasn't happened. Or did I miss hearing about it?

Is everyone who puts forth an opinion or information different from yours on government payroll?
edit on 5/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Or is everyone who puts forth an opinion different than yours always wrong?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandella1099

reply to post by Sky watcher

I didn't say the Sun does not affect weather. It is the primary driver of weather.

I said solar flares do not affect weather. The total energy released by the most powerful flares is a small fraction of the total energy released by the Sun every second.

If a flare "reached out and barbecued" any part of the Earth I would not have the same opinion. But, besides the fact that solar flares don't "reach out", that hasn't happened. Or did I miss hearing about it?

Is everyone who puts forth an opinion or information different from yours on government payroll?

Or is everyone who puts forth an opinion different than yours always wrong?

i had to star ya cuz many times ppl worship phage to the point he could say the earth is flat and ppl would believe it without questions

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
It sure is in interesting coincidence that when the sun has some big flares and large sunspots
that we have really warm weather..
Jus sayin

Well, except for the pacific northwest where they are experiencing near-record lows.

How's that factor into your theory based on your experience of regional weather?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDevilOfLies

i had to star ya cuz many times ppl worship phage to the point he could say the earth is flat and ppl would believe it without questions

Hmmmm. I find the opposite to be true. People tend to agree with his posts because they are factual and provide evidence.references.

I also notice that those who complain about 'him' tend to provide neither.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDevilOfLies

Though, you'll notice, Phage isn't saying the Earth is flat. His statements are based on facts and evidence. I didn't know that was a bad thing.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by TheDevilOfLies

Though, you'll notice, Phage isn't saying the Earth is flat. His statements are based on facts and evidence. I didn't know that was a bad thing.

i didnt mean to imply he was wrong, i was referring to how many of the threads go around here

instead of ever checking it out, most people on many threads just take his word for it as if its the word of god rather then thinking for themselves

i mean no one can be right 100 percent of the time, hes gotta be wrong sometime, im not saying he is now, but im saying many times he can basically say whatever he wants and people will buy it and argue it just based on what he says

dangerous

actually you guys kinda proved my point, within only a few minutes already 2 replies defending phage

i dont think he needs your defending

but this is usually how it goes, one person questions him, then the hyenas circle
edit on 30-5-2011 by TheDevilOfLies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Hmmmm. I find the opposite to be true. People tend to agree with his posts because they are factual and provide evidence.references.

I also notice that those who complain about 'him' tend to provide neither.

In the quote that I referenced, he was providing neither. It was an attack on an individual poster, not the material from the poster. Additionally, his facts are all due to internet searches from sites that are not always 100% accurate. His "body of work" is nothing more than that and his "nifty" ability to search out opportunities to counter as many as possible. I only did to him the exact same thing he had just done himself. These discussion forums eventually reach factual conclusions without his input.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mandella1099

Are you kidding? Did you read the post I was replying to?
Let me help

How much does NASA or the USGS pay you by the way?

You have no idea of my body of knowledge or its sources.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Are you kidding? Did you read the post I was replying to?
Let me help

How much does NASA or the USGS pay you by the way?

You have no idea of my body of knowledge or its sources.

Nor you to mine or anyone else who choses to post on this website.
edit on 30-5-2011 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

actually you guys kinda proved my point, within only a few minutes already 2 replies defending phage

Well...I'm defending him because I agree with him...I don't even know him, personally. I just know his mindset, and, for the most part, I agree with it.

Regardless, it wasn't so much a defense of Phage as a defense of myself, since I agree with him.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Internet being sluggish....I'm sure the government will probably have an explanation for that...you know...like how somebody HACKED Lockheed Martin
yeaaaa I don't believe that...but it wouldn't surprise me to see "US Government says that the internet is being hacked due to it's sluggish behavior...the attackers are said to have malicious intentions while hacking the internet.." Hahaha thanks for the heads up about the solar storm though, and as a few have said..not starting with the END OF THE WORLD!!! OMG!!! stuff!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

And yet, you say this:

Additionally, his facts are all due to internet searches from sites that are not always 100% accurate. His "body of work" is nothing more than that and his "nifty" ability to search out opportunities to counter as many as possible.

His "body of work" is nothing more than that and his "nifty" ability to search out opportunities to counter as many as possible.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

And yet, you say this:

Additionally, his facts are all due to internet searches from sites that are not always 100% accurate. His "body of work" is nothing more than that and his "nifty" ability to search out opportunities to counter as many as possible.

His "body of work" is nothing more than that and his "nifty" ability to search out opportunities to counter as many as possible.

And yet, you reply to a post by stating your willingness to change your "opinion":

"If a flare "reached out and barbecued" any part of the Earth I would not have the same opinion. But, besides the fact that solar flares don't "reach out", that hasn't happened. Or did I miss hearing about it?"

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Yes. That's how science works. Given evidence, ideas change.
There is no evidence that a solar flare affects weather, much less have ever barbequed the Earth.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
And if a giant space slug comes along and crawls over the earth, flattening it out, then we'll be more than willing to say the earth is flat. It's all a matter of evidence.
Without evidence, you can't draw a conclusion. Science is based on evidence. I suppose, I should say, true science is based on evidence. Fringe science and metaphysics are based on...well, they're not based on anything. But the science that furthers our civilization is evidence-based.

Likewise, when at least 2 flares/CMEs occur and observationally generate a change in climate on the earth, then that will be added to the evidence in this discussion. Until then, the connection is non-existent.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Yes. That's how science works. Given evidence, ideas change.
There is no evidence that a solar flare affects weather, much less have ever barbequed the Earth.

Certainly Phage, and this is how logic works. You have done nothing but spent your last few posts seeking "nifty" ways to counter a threat to your argument, thus proving my initial point all along. If you had said nothing in return, the truth that eventually comes out (as I stated earlier) would have made its way out, and possibly proved your points. Instead, you proved mine. Take care, and I look forward to future discussions with you.
edit on 30-5-2011 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

OMG a giant space slug is on its way to destroy the earth
have you got any links
ps i already knew the earth was flat
lol

not at CLPRIME

please leave Phage alone
he has a record of being very good at producing high quality information with sources
just because you have a different opinion to him
does not give you the right to be rude

and you will notice that we disagree with each other so have a different opinion
just dont be rude it spoils threads

xploder
edit on 30-5-2011 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I guess this is somewhat related... This past Saturday (the 28th of May) I was in the next town shopping, to our surprise, the power kept going off, from approximately 2pm on till approximately 5pm eastern standard time. Being a humid day, we joked about people draining the grid with A/C. Later that day, we found out that the power outages affected many small towns in our community. We had met up with a friend in the evening who hadn't realized the power went out as he was leaving one of the area's larger cities, but at one point he had looked at his speedometer and he had to laugh out loud when he realized he was traveling at 0km/ph.
After talking with some other people Sunday and today, I have found a total of 16 people with newer vehicles complaining laughingly about their 'brand-new' cars... their computers had been reset. 0 mileage, 0 trip kms total.
The affected devices have kept count since, but all this happened (you guessed it) on Saturday!

To get to the point as it relates, I thought mmm, power out and vehicle computer reset.. I checked the sun's activity for last Saturday, Solar Flares Online reported 19 solar flares, one of which was a class M. Global Coherence . org had said there was a geomagnetic storm, ironically their spectrogram calendar has no entries since Friday

I'm not trying to say this MUST have caused that, but I find it curious that all these coincidences happened within the same time frame. I also want to note that I did not have problems with my iPhone or my laptop during that time.

I would honestly like some input, particularity anyone from Ontario Canada. It would be interesting to see if this is some odd localized event or something more.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
M class solar flares don't present any severe risks (at least none publicly known). Even most X class flares present minimal risk, unless maybe ejected directly in line with Earth (I don't know the statistical odds of that happening).

There were at least two huge X-class solar flares on 3/9/2011 and 2/14/2011 that didn't have any disastrous effect - other than supercharging the auroras.

Source: www.space.com...

NASA and other sources claim that some strong X class solar flares can potentially disrupt satellites and temporarily take down electrical power grids if the solar flare is ejected towards Earth. Yet that is said to be the worse that can happen.

The suns solar storms are peaking due to the start of the more active Solar Cycle 24 that will continue until around 2013. So there are more M and X class solar flares on their way.

There is a concern though with the magnetosphere. It was been found to have damage that NASA is calling "leaks". There is now even more potential risk to planet Earth and it's inhabitants due to these so called leaks.

Source: www.space.com...

The magnetosphere is what protects Earth from large incoming solar flares. With a damaged magnetosphere I would expect there would be additional risk factors (in the right scenario). I don't know if these "leaks" are large enough to present a real danger. This is coming from the US government, so only they know.

Solar flares have been occurring since the Earth has been in orbit, so they are nothing new. Yet, the damage to the magnetosphere has me a little more worried and has me asking more questions, since it's a fairly recent discovery with unknown consequences.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join