It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What primitive weapon would you take when SHTF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
So you are in a SHTF situation, you have no guns.. and you need something to hunt or to protect
What primitive weapon would you take? here a few Examples

1 - Bow
2 - Spear
3 - Atlatl
4 - Slingshot
5 - Blowpipe
6 - Sling
7 - Crossbow

there are many others, these are just an example.

I would go for a sling, i am training this weapon for a while now and i can hit various targets with it not that i am great with but i atleast train 30 minutes a day with it.
And ammo is not hard to find, because stones are almost everywhere.

So what would you choose ? and why would you choose it, and do you have any experiences with it?

Greets
edit on 27-5-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2011 by Silend because: added another weapon

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

What happened to knife? And Spear/bow, very customizable weapons!

Jamie.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Just a plain native timber recurve bow with sinew string for me please.

The reason being I can make new arrows as required, and do not need to carry a lot of heavy ammunition for Firearms ... which will always give away your position.

I'm very interested in the sling too but haven't touched one since I was a kid.. might be time to make a new one and get practicing again.

edit on 27-5-2011 by Tayesin because: the usual..dyslexia

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

What happened to knife? And Spear/bow, very customizable weapons! Jamie.

You dont have to take any examples that i have placed, if you have others you can put them here to !
if it is kinda primitive

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Very well, in that case. Me!

Jamie.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I bought one of those cheap hollow handled "survival" knives just for the purpose of making a really good spear. I also have a machete, and knives. For a ranged weapon I would choose a crossbow first, then a bow second.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Id rather have my dog with me more than anything,
it hunts better than me and i can eat it if i really need to

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have two I'll reach for
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcf11f13d1cf.jpg[/atsimg]
my Win 70 in 300wsm

And My ruger P944
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cd5de0374ec.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Wow...I havent thought of a sling in about 20 years thanks for the reminder. My dad was a sling master. I remember being absolutely stunned when he could put a rock in the opening of a three leter bottle, laying on it's side, from about 150 ft. At about 3/5 times. He could also hit a power line overhead almost every time. I remember the zinging sound the line would make, being hit by the rock. So I know they can be very precise weapons. I guess it just takes practice.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Cinderblocks from on high.
Spiked mace close up. Nasty thing. Baseball bat with nails and barbed wire. Rusty.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wetpaint72
reply to post by Silend

Wow...I havent thought of a sling in about 20 years thanks for the reminder. My dad was a sling master. I remember being absolutely stunned when he could put a rock in the opening of a three leter bottle, laying on it's side, from about 150 ft. At about 3/5 times. He could also hit a power line overhead almost every time. I remember the zinging sound the line would make, being hit by the rock. So I know they can be very precise weapons. I guess it just takes practice.

Yes it takes very much practice, i wish i could do what your dad did, hopefully in the future!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You go Daddy Bare!!!
Of course I'll have my "peacekeepers" ready. Teaching the wife the proper way to hold a 12 gauge with a riot grip this weekend. That way she can hit anyone in her path and not have to worry about aiming too much.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If I couldn't have my firearms, and primitive was the only way I could go, then a simple/quality recurve bow would be my choice for range, w/ my kukri on the hip

Even if I had my guns I would still like to have a bow, for hunting purposes, silence, and ability to make arrows when needed.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
A recurve bow and a japanese katana and shinto.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
Cinderblocks from on high.
Spiked mace close up. Nasty thing. Baseball bat with nails and barbed wire. Rusty.

Ohhh...what about a catapult!!! Really, even a smaller one could come in handy if say the amo was something like hot rocks and red hot metal shards!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Nice...

OK have to add more or risk a minimal post warning, so yes if you have weapons after all ammo is gone, if there are no knives, then I would have to pick one long sturdy stick and a another one about 12-14 inches long.
edit on 27-5-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

Got a 2 foot blade attached to a 4 foot staff. Good for walking and fighting. Can throw it about 35 feet with great accuracy if i have to but is better close at hand.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

I would hardly classify a crossbow as a primitive weapon.

My melee weapon of choice would have to be a crowbar, for its durability and utility, and the fact that it would make me feel like Gordon Freeman.

For hunting I would use a spear if I couldn't acquire a good rifle, though where I live, live game is hard to come by, so I would probably be better off scavenging for food.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
My Katana. I took Iaido (Japanese art of sword drawing) strictly for an if SHTF scenario.Its a two foot razor blade.I dulled the blade to practice, but I can easily resharpen it.I figure even with a gun and plenty of ammo,I might want to conserve as many bullets as possible for long range combat,,,while my blade is for close range.But lets just hope it doesnt come to that

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
English style Longbow and trap wire for snares.

The trap wire can also be used in man traps.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join