It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramids found through infra red satelitte images, 3000 ancient settlements!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
was reading this on BBC www.bbc.co.uk...

this is really an amazing find and shows just how much we really have explored the earth. Imagine all the other hidden monument there are covered with years of neglect and mother nature hiding it from us. hopefully with more funding we can continue uncovering great finds like this!

More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also revealed by looking at infra-red images which show up underground buildings.

Initial excavations have already confirmed some of the findings including of two suspected pyramids.

"To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archaeologist," says Dr Sarah Parcak.

She has pioneered the work in space archaeology from a Nasa-sponsored laboratory in Birmingham, Alabama and says she was amazed at how much she and her team have found.
satellite image of pyramid An infra-red satellite image shows a buried pyramid, located in the centre of the highlight box.

"We were very intensely doing this research for over a year. I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the "A-Ha" moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we'd found and I couldn't believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt."

The team analysed images from satellites orbiting 700km above the earth, equipped with cameras so powerful they can pin-point objects less than 1m in diameter on the earth's surface.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is awesome, even if just a fraction of them are real sites, let a lone as many as they have found. Glad they had bigger pictures than I did though, because I couldn't really see much. Better get busy digging, who knows what we'll find!

+14 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I find it interesting that they show these satellite pictures, saying they clearly show this and that, when we've seen even more clear things in pictures of Mars and our own moon which are poo-pooed.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
great find! star and flag definitely. i am looking forward to see the special and am extremely interested in what will come out of these excavations. i just hope that any huge breakthroughs in the way we look at ancient egypt are not swept under the table. we gotta keep a close eye on this one in-case the msm ignores it at large.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 0001391

I actually agree with your statement, because I was unimpressed with the photos from moon and mars saying oh these are pyramids, these are buildings... looked like rocks to me. But these pictures we're just as bad... Makes me more inclined to believe that there just could be pyramids on Mars (always try and keep an open mind).

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
its funny how the officials in sakkara told her to bugger off, seems they already knew about it and wanted to hide it, or have become ignorant and arrogant.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CigSmokinMan
i just hope that any huge breakthroughs in the way we look at ancient egypt are not swept under the table. we gotta keep a close eye on this one in-case the msm ignores it at large.

I hesitate to point out that this item was, in fact, reported by the msm. Either way, there are a lot of archaeology mailing lists, websites and forums (fora?) that eat this stuff up.

Oh, and S & F for the Scarberian!
edit on 24-5-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
reply to post by 0001391

I actually agree with your statement, because I was unimpressed with the photos from moon and mars saying oh these are pyramids, these are buildings... looked like rocks to me. But these pictures we're just as bad... Makes me more inclined to believe that there just could be pyramids on Mars (always try and keep an open mind).

These are IR images from a satellite. To my knowledge we do not have any IR images of the Moon or Mars which show anything that is buried, let alone remains of a civilization. Current IR images haven't yielded anything. The Cydonia region is only rocks it seems after further examination. Also, we are not archaelogists and are not schooled on what they're looking at or looking for even. Our eyes simply see shapes and things, but we do not know enough about what they're doing to deduce a structure from a rock even. It's like a patient trying to read and decipher their own MRI. It seldom breeds success.
edit on 24-5-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Seems to me that we have alot of knowledge, enough to make some well informed decisions yet much of it is viewed by the "experts" as "unbelievable" and thus ignored.

All of it suggests that mankind has previously lived rather "large" upon many occassions and also that mankind has subsequently been reduced to periods of struggling to simply exist.

The "baghdad battery" and the images of the hieroglyphic "lightbulbs" comes immediately to mind.

How long ago did someone find something like that? If it was prior to the modern lightbulb being invented and adopted by much of the first world then anyone who found one prior to this would not have had a clue as to what it might be and more importantly what it means...

If the "archeologists" are funded by a religious "institution" they may have a clear agenda and bias, bring items that "prove" their dogma to the forefront while hiding anything that might contradict or simply does not reinforce their agenda.

If the same are employed by a corporation then the same applies yet the motive slightly different.

Let them dig if they want yet I for one have seen enough to know that civilizations have come and gone and that ours is no exception and that this understanding, of all the things that the ancients would want to pass on to future generations....seems to be the most important understanding that anyone could derive from it all yet at the same time the least often mentioned and thus the least often imagined and ultimately that TPTB would have you thinking no other way

Have you seen the "grid like" structure off the coast of spain/northern africa?
It is rumored to be 3-4 times the size of NYC.

Let me see if I can find a quick source...

IS THIS ATLANTIS?

If this is a city grid....3-4 times the size of NYC....imagine the rather frightening implications.
Of course do not take THE SUN' word for it, go see for youself and also of course google maps might be part of this great big conspiracy to scare the hell out of us which doesnt seem to be working very well

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

have they dug up those pyramids yet? that's what i was referring to.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OverMan
Seems to me that we have alot of knowledge, enough to make some well informed decisions yet much of it is viewed by the "experts" as "unbelievable" and thus ignored.

The "baghdad battery" and the images of the hieroglyphic "lightbulbs" comes immediately to mind.

Alternative suggestions exist, you know?:

The 'battery'...

Skeptical archaeologists see the electrical experiments as embodying a key problem with experimental archaeology, saying that such experiments can only show that something was physically possible, but do not confirm that it actually occurred. Further, there are many difficulties with the interpretation of these artifacts as galvanic cells[citation needed]: the bitumen completely covers the copper cylinder, electrically insulating it, so no current can be drawn without modifying the design; there are no wires or conductors with them; no widely accepted electrical equipment is associated with them. (Controversial stone reliefs depicting arc lights have been suggested, however the voltages obtained are orders of magnitude below what would be needed to produce arc lighting); a bitumen seal, being thermoplastic, is excellent for forming a hermetic seal for long term storage. It would be extremely inconvenient however for a galvanic cell, which would require frequent topping up of the electrolyte (if they were intended for extended use). The artifacts strongly resemble another type of object with a known purpose—namely, storage vessels for sacred scrolls from nearby Seleucia on the Tigris. Those vessels do not have the outermost clay jar, but are otherwise almost identical. Since it is claimed these vessels were exposed to the elements, it would not be at all surprising if any papyrus or parchment inside had completely rotted away, perhaps leaving a trace of slightly acidic organic residue.en.wikipedia.org...

The 'light bulb'....

Sylvie Caulville worked extensively on the inscriptions in the temple. She suggested that in the carvings, Hor-sema-tawy (or Harsomptus "Horus the uniter of the two lands") is depicted as a serpent, a falcon and as a child (Ihy the son of Hathor and Horus of Behedet). According to one myth, Ihy sprung into existence out of a lotus flower which blossomed in the watery abyss of Nun at dawn at the beginning of every year. It is therefore suggested by some that the "light-bulbs" are in fact lotus flower bulbs, mythologically giving birth to the god. Another panel shows the bulb opening into a lotus blossom and the snake standing erect in the centre as a representation of the god Ihy. On the southern wall of the last room, a falcon, preceded by a snake emerges from a lotus blossom within a boat. www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk...

It's good to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out, eh?

Originally posted by CigSmokinMan
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

have they dug up those pyramids yet? that's what i was referring to.

Give 'em time...especially considering the fact that Egypt is currently in flux. Permits and finance take time as well. Still, something fascinating to look forward to!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
[
Oh, and S & F for the Scarberian!

HAhahaah scarberian, oohhh wow. more like scar lanka these days but i like that better than scarlem XD lol

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
S & F

Wouldn't it be amazing if all the tombs and pyramids were buried so long ago that they were forgotten about [In ancient Egypt] and are untouched all of this time? Hopefully they will have plenty of hieroglyphs and other documentation about history we know little about. Who knows, this might just open a whole other unknown chapter of human history.

Personally I hope they are VERY very old.

edit on 24-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: To fix the rolly smiley it was broken

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
A very interesting article. It will be interesting to see what they discover.
Could one of these sites be the Hall of records Cacye predicted?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ZarbeMomin

Some of the lost and/or concealed history of this planet is being revealed faster thanks to the internet...

Without the internet, places like Gobekli Tepe would be known to only a few...
just imagine what else is yet to be uncovered...gobekli tepe

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Fantastic thread -
the IR image linked on that page reminds me of the kind of geophysics work often done in archaeological (terrestrial) excavations and so on...
it's absolutely amazing that this can be applied on such a massive scale through the use of satellites.
I'd love to see this process applied to extraterrestrial bodies like the moon and mars!

Starred and Flagged - nice find!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It should be noted that these IR images were backed up by excavations on the ground. In the past I did on the ground archaeological survey of places we'd ID's from 1950s reconnaissance photos, We often found we were mistaken and what we thought was human made was either; a trick of light and shadow, a natural line of rock or ditch, more commonly it was to modern while on the other hand we found archaeological sites where nothing showed in the photos.

The lesson is, one source of information a find does not make

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
OMG AND WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY REALLY FOUND INSIDE

they'll just say it was mummies/pots

and keep all the good stuff to themselves

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ENlGMA
OMG AND WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY REALLY FOUND INSIDE

they'll just say it was mummies/pots

and keep all the good stuff to themselves

Mummies and pots sound good to me, what are you hoping for flying saucers and free-energy beam weapons from Atlantis?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I concur.
Imagine, if untouched, what could be deciphered.
Hopefully nothing was robbed and there is something to find!
Masses of information previously unknown about pharoahs, timeframes, etc.
Very interesting find.

*S&F*

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join