It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Forgotten Man - Painting by Jon McNaughton

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Against the background of a darkening sky, all of the past Presidents of the United States gather before the White House, as if to commemorate some great event. In the left hand corner of the painting sits a man. That man, with his head bowed appears distraught and hopeless as he contemplates his future. Some of the past Presidents try to console him while looking in the direction of the modern Presidents as if to say, "What have you done?" Many of these modern Presidents, seemingly oblivious to anything other than themselves, appear to be congratulating each other on their great accomplishments. In front of the man, paper trash is blowing in the wind. Crumpled dollar bills, legislative documents, and, like a whisper—the U.S. Constitution beneath the foot of Barack Obama.

The Forgotten Man - Painting by Jon McNaughton
edit on 23-5-2011 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

very very cool painting i want one

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Amazing. What a powerful video, yet so accurate as it only shows one image. The words sent chills down my spine and filled my heart with a mix of anger and a feeling those earlier presidents look to be feeling. Great video OP S+F for a find of a great work of art worth way more than a million words.

edit on 5/23/2011 by Conspiracy Now because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Very cool painting.

I guess it stands true that a picture is worth a thousand words..although probably more for this case.

Great post man,

S+F for you.
edit on 23-5-2011 by 1Mind1Soul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
that painting will be in student text books im sure. everyone can relate to the forgotten man because he is you or me.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

Breathtaking, sobering, ominous (sp?), frightening, chill bumps, sad, heart breaking, depressing, maddening, mind boggeling, God help us all.
Seeashrink

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
A beautiful picture: the message that it sends is incredibly powerful.

I'm actually contemplating buying the 16x24 litho version for my father and myself. Thank you for this (S&F).

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Cool painting

2nd
edit on 23-5-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Interesting website as well. You can mouse over the painting and read a little history about the U.S and the president at the time.
www.mcnaughtonart.com...
edit on 23-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: ...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Inaccurate painting is inaccurate.

There needs to be an edit showing Reagan, Bush Jr. And Sr clapping and applauding with the others.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

who is that guy?
edit on 23-5-2011 by notonsamepage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Interesting idea but the questionably portrayal of FDR standing along with the other Presidents is a big enough historical slight to undermine my confidence in the accuracy of the artists political commentary.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

not only FDR but it shows Bush jr with a look of concern, and Reagen too.

Personally i think Reagan would be clapping and bush should be taking a piss on the constitution.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Pretty good artwork. Definitely made with the intent to be controversial. The way the guy is sitting on the park bench reminds me of sad Keanu Reeves

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
Interesting idea but the questionably portrayal of FDR standing along with the other Presidents is a big enough historical slight to undermine my confidence in the accuracy of the artists political commentary.

You have to understand that his commentary is about constitutionality, FDR took a lot of powers to himself during the depression, similar to what GW Bush did during 911. FDR did more things which were beyond the bounds of his alloted constitutional authority than any president before him.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Thank you so much for this one. It's so true.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The stroke of the brush by this artist is undeniably talented.
Some of the ideas portrayed in some of his other works are lacking due to his beliefs of what he has been taught or has learned and experienced based on his knowledge.
IMO.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by A por uvas
The stroke of the brush by this artist is undeniably talented.
Some of the ideas portrayed in some of his other works are lacking due to his beliefs of what he has been taught or has learned and experienced based on his knowledge.
IMO.

Could you point out an example or two?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

His ideas and thoughts revolve around his faith and experiences.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by A por uvas
reply to post by bigrex

His ideas and thoughts revolve around his faith and experiences.

Well, that seems pretty natural to me, all anyone has to draw upon is our own research, knowledge, and beliefs. I don't know, in general it all seemed pretty insightful to me, of course each artist will produce their own portrayal of subjects. At least he backs up his portayals with descriptions for each area scrolled over on the artwork layout. I think that is more than is provided by most artists. I suppose one could say the same thing about Norman Rockwell, his artwork reflects his belief and experiences. I doubt that makes it inherently lacking in and of itself. It's artwork, not a thesis on scientific theory or discourse. Of course, everyone is free to perceive any piece of art as they will, your view is probably as valid as his view. Art is subjective.
edit on 23-5-2011 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join