It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several million of America's lower class are about to become outsourced to robots

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
they can always get a job making the robots. it would probably pay more than the $3.25 and hour mcdonalds pays you to nuke burgers elbow to elbow with 25 other schmucks in a cramped kitchen in 90 degree temp.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

Definitely. That's the main problem with outsourcing jobs to robots. Perhaps, even better than receiving a check from the government as compensation, they could be given a grant to be used towards a college degree. The problem with that is that it would be unfair to everyone else paying for college.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
You do understand that cashiers do more than just work behind the cash register in most stores, right ? And for the stores that don't, it's because there's a neverending lineup going on all day (ie: Walmart).

Good luck standing in a long lineup at Walmart while 85 year old Auntie Em in front of you tries self-scanning her cartload of merchandise on a Saturday afternoon... Oops, Auntie Em just accidentally scanned one of her items twice... Oops, one of Auntie Em's items isn't scanning at all... Oops, Auntie Em can't find the UPC code on one of the packages... Oops, Auntie Em just pushed the wrong button and now the computer is showing an error code...

The human service industry cannot be replaced with computers without its share of consequences.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epiphron
reply to post by TheUniverse

Definitely. That's the main problem with outsourcing jobs to robots. Perhaps, even better than receiving a check from the government as compensation, they could be given a grant to be used towards a college degree. The problem with that is that it would be unfair to everyone else paying for college.

Not everyone is capable of accomplishing a college degree.
The world is full of varying IQ levels with varying ranges of academic comprehension.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Jeremy Rifkin.
" The End of Work "
Here is a book which I thought examined the revolution of mass production and it's relation to the work force rather well.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN

When you here this kind of news, you better get yourself an education in science, technology, engineering, or math. Don't go for liberal arts. Woot! Woot!

Or... We can find a way to elevate the standard of living of ALL of Us... One that allows Us to pursue Our individual bliss as opposed to fitting a mold for a career. Here are My Ideas to accomplish that:

The End of Entropy - the foundation - read first

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Working that cash register at that store,fast food joint...
keeps food on that someone's table! When "they" no
longer have a job,they will end up on government assistance,
food stamps and medicaid.Which would you prefer?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

government assistance,
food stamps and medicaid.Which would you prefer?

that wouldn't be so bad really, if well, computerization made it so that there wasn't that many people needed to work, and that work was spread around so all were responsible for doing their share, the companies that were profiting by all this computerization actually paid taxes on their profits, and well....the people were left ot explore their own interests....

but, well, we can't have that, can we??? na, better to invest a few million to create a couple of low wage jobs!!!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Good thing I don't eat at McDeath's.
But in the way of automated systems, I will not use any at all.
At the supermarket I will stand in line for a half hour before I would use the self checkout.
And if there is no human alternative, I simply would not shop there.
If the $7 an hour checker is too expensive to hire, then maybe a corporation should cut some administrative fat.
I'm sure an Exec. makes a ton more not to mention the benefits Etc.
Rich getting richer and the poor just dying off, this is what is killing the world, GREED.

Exactly. Human interaction is very important. They wish to take this away more and more to dehumanize us. I still use the teller at the bank too.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

reply to post by CranialSponge

I never said they didn't.
There really isn't any better alternative, so ditch diggers are needed, therefore they're meaningful in the sense that they contribute to the smooth functioning of society.

Cashiers, on the other hand, are not needed. Machines can do their job better, since it would eliminate human error.

I'd like to see machines taking orders from drunk people. That'd be hilarious.

You're spouting some incredible nonsense btw, it would not eleminate human error since it's still humans who are ordering and to be honest this would most likely make errors occur even more often.

Why do you think that we still have cashiers even though the technology to replace them has been around for a while now?
edit on 18/5/11 by Edews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I'm studying crime...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
What humanity needs to do is replace all low paid jobs by robots, then create new kinds of schools where people can live and study for 30-40 years. People would get a broad education about history, philosophy, arts and psychology and we can collectively analyze and get to terms with some of humanities darker episodes which still influence us today. After that people can research the remainder of their lives to better mankinds understanding of himself and the world around him, he might even be able to reach for the stars.

What could happen is people will be fed by robots completely, they'll farm, raise and butcher cattle for mass consumption, they'll prepare and sell it which is imho a very important activity for humans to do themselves and is good for social bonding of society. Otherwise in a few generations people will consider themselves machines and life will turn into a eugenetic nightmare where people will be robotic but without a conscience, they'll just commit genocide on all the "lesser robots" who are withholding progress and are no longer needed, they'll make themselves believe it is all good for the surival of the human race.

Right now we're on the latter road, with science regarding mental afflictions as being caused by the brain and trying to cure it by manipulating the brain with substances instead of teaching someone suffering from mental afflictions how to cope and get over it. Even one of the most highly regarded scientists himself recently said he considers himself a computer instead of identifying with it's user.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
aww man, what are the odds. I've got my first interview for a job in today, in six months of applying for everything I can do and its for mcdonalds.

I hope they take a really really, long time to implement this new system either that or people start wanting to hire again.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Forget education. The USA is on the bottom of the heap with only two African countries ranked lower in education than we are! Didn't you see the news story this week about a company creating 4000 new jobs but they are going to go outside the USA for the engineers and only plan to use Americans for answering the phones??? WE ARE NOT considered "well educated" anymore!

Seems like we are looking at a further collapse of the US economy. 70% or more of the US GNP is OWNED by foreign "Interests" who also own our toll roads, bridges and seaports. Of the thirty percent left, 16% is from Agriculture and the 2010 Food Act just handed that to the World Trade Organization who is run by the international Ag Cartel.

We are now a nation of store clerks and that has just been handed off to robots!

Top thirty employers in the USA

The source lists the top fifty employers with a link to each one telling about the corporation.

nyjobsource.com...
1. Wal-Mart .............1,800,000
2. McDonald's .............447,000

3. United Parcel Service ............. 407,000
4. Sears Holdings .............355,000
5. Home Depot .............345,000
6. Target .............337,000

7. IBM .............329,373
8. General Motors .............327,000
9. General Electric ............. 316,000
10. Citigroup .............303,000
11. Ford Motor .............300,000
12. Kroger .............289,000
13. Albertson's .............240,000

14. United Technologies .............222,200
15. Verizon Communications .............217,000
16. FedEx .............215,838
17. Safeway .............201,000
18. Altria Group .............199,000
19. Aramark .............195,000

20. Berkshire Hathaway .............192,012
21. AT&T .............189,950
22. Delphi .............185,200
23. Bank of America .............176,638
24. JP Morgan Chase .............168,847
25. Yum Brands .............165,920
26. HCA .............165,450
27. Lowe's .............164,794
28. PepsiCo .............157,000
29. Walgreen .............155,200
30. Wells Fargo .............153,500

nyjobsource.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

What?Do you seriously believe that ANYTHING is done
for the "good" of the population?
How long do you think that the government can support
all these people so "they" can pursue other avenues of life?
How long do you think it would take for these people to
be considered a burden to society?
How long do you think it would be before these, burdens to
society, would finally have to be eliminated for the greater
good?Anyone else thinking about the georgia guidestones?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

This is great news. Progress is always a good thing.

As for the loss of jobs, well, the fact that some people could be so easily replaced by a lump of metal speaks volumes of their usefulness to society.
many low payed and easy to master jobs are far more use to society than most high payed and just how long do you think you can keep ahead of human for tech replacement it will catch you in the end unless your lucky and die first. as soon as AI is as good as humans at problem solving and learning we're all going to be replaced

its progress for maccy d's its not for society

...but then again "i'm alright jack so who cares"

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
they can always get a job making the robots. it would probably pay more than the $3.25 and hour mcdonalds pays you to nuke burgers elbow to elbow with 25 other schmucks in a cramped kitchen in 90 degree temp.
nope. the robots already have the building robots covered
thanks

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
We have these order screens at some locations here is FL. I for one love it. They still need people to take orders for those who don't understand technology.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Epiphron

I didn't mean going back to the dark ages, but most things you buy now in technology (and it isn't cheap) goes obselete within a few years, it seems. Meanwhile are landfills are full of dangerous by products of this.

I miss the days of phoning for information , and actually talking to a real human being, before having to wait and wade through a long list of options,only to be presented with more options after you press the first one.

As far as what you consider worthwhile contributions..that is very subjective to the indiviual.

Some would say tatto artists are not contributing to society, and some would say that about Piccaso,and his fellow artists, yet people pay millions for their paintings.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by dawnstar

What?Do you seriously believe that ANYTHING is done
for the "good" of the population?
How long do you think that the government can support
all these people so "they" can pursue other avenues of life?
How long do you think it would take for these people to
be considered a burden to society?
How long do you think it would be before these, burdens to
society, would finally have to be eliminated for the greater
good?Anyone else thinking about the georgia guidestones?

That was one of the first things that popped into my head ,concerning this thread.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join