It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New guns and gadgets for 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I’m only semi retired as a gun smith, meaning I still get all these brochures and literature from all the manufactures. They start filling my mail box in January, but don’t show up on store shelves until late April. My late timing for this thread has more to do with my health and spending more time in the doctor’s office rather than out of the range or reading about all the cool new stuff I’m about to share with you.

I should also say I’m not going to cover all the new releases for this year. It seems all the big boys have a ton of new models so for the sake of brevity I will only lightly touch on what I thought the coolest or of most interest (to me)… If you don’t see your favorite brands listed just ask and I will dig up what I can for ya….

The guns:

Browning has made a limited run of a nifty little .22 a scaled down version of the famous 1911 as a 100th anniversary commemorative. Price is TBA…

CHIAPPA’s revolutionary Rhino 40ds now comes in .357. Also new is their AR styled M4-22 chambered in .22 lr.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f040ef27c5f9.png[/atsimg]
Colt rolled out the SP901 another AR type but chambered in 7.62 NATO this new gun is built with a modular lower that easily accepts 5.56 NATO uppers. Back is the Sporter line with two new M4’s. This is the 175 anniversary for Colt so if your into pretty limited editions with lots of gold this is the year to order one but you better hurry the 1911 with historic Colt symbols highlighted in 22k gold is limited to 750 units and they will stop taking orders in Nov, whether or not they reach that cutoff number.

Crossman’s maybe best known for the Daisy red rider BB gun but if you want something with a bit more Oomph… Try their new Rouge… a .357 air rifle. Three pellets are available a 90 grain hollow point, a 175 grain round nose and the 145 grain Nosler tipped Benjamin extreme. If you’re into air rifles you might want to check out STOEGER… and their X20 Suppressor, an air gun designed for quiet hunting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/107655165934.jpg[/atsimg]
Kel-Tec is now making a most remarkable shotgun the KSG (12 gage) sporting twin feeding tubes giving it an astounding 15 round capacity from an 18.5 barrel! This bottom ejecting bull pup design has a short 26.1 inches over all… time will tell if this new design will catch on or fail miserably? Before we move on let me add the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is a really cool 30 shot .22 mag. My only rag on Kel-Tec’s is they have notoriously flimsy (easy to break) sights.

LES BAER is raising the bar when it comes to extreme in AR clones. They have two new AR’s in 7.62 NATO the Ultimate Match and Ultimate Monolith… Both rifles are guaranteed accurate to ½ MOA. If you go to their web site check out their line of 1911 clones too...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5359716d1f49.jpg[/atsimg]Ruger: Most shooters have a real love hate relationship with the company. But whether you hate them or love em you should take a good hard long look at the Gunsite Scout Rifle. Developed by the late great Jeff Cooper, this .308 bolt action sports a short 16.5 barrel with threaded muzzle, ships with a mini 14 style flash suppressor and iron sights. Takes box magazines and has a picatinny rail mounted well forward just begging for an Aim point or red dot.

SAKO has several new rifles out to mark its 90th birthday. The 85 Black bear comes with a semi heavy fluted tapered barrel and all black composite stock. The monster 85 brown bear is chambered in .338 win mag and .375 H&H mag. God that made my shoulder ache, just to write that!

Smith & Wesson has some exciting news of their own with two entries; the first is the M&P15 Sport... This is an entry level AR with an MSRP of only $709… S&W is also jumping into the .410 revolver market with their new Governor! Scandium framed with a 2.75 inch barrel, It holds 6, 2 ½ inch .410 shot shells as well as the expected .45 long colt… but what is different is this gun ships with moon clips so you can also chamber and shoot the .45 ACP…
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f97f5e858e53.jpg[/atsimg]
Taurus may have had its humble beginnings as a little brother to S&W but not be out done by its big bro Taurus has come out with the biggest badest Judge of all time with the new Raging Judge a five shot, 28 gage. It comes with Raging bull recoil reducing grip but at only 67 ounces, 6.5 inch barrel, I bet it still makes your hand tingle!

Weatherby has brought back the Vanguard Deluxe with a sub MOA guarantee. Damn this is a pretty rifle and why I own two… glad to see em back.

Other stuff:

Winchester may have disappointed with a rehash of their old shotgun/rifle lineup but where they really shine is with two new shotgun shells. They have a new fragmenting varmint load in its Ballistic Silvertip that utilizes “Explosive Technology!” for something totally new Winchester has come up with a hexagonal pellet for waterfowelers, this new tech delivers denser patterns at a greater range.

Nikon’s new M-223 Laser IRT 2.5-10 40mm rifle scope has a built in laser range finder!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c2309ede566.jpg[/atsimg]
Mathew’s has a new model, bow hunters should look at. The Z7 is quiet and scorches along at 332 fps. The most popular rest, the “Whisper Biscuit Sure Shot” is quieter, stronger and now ambidextrous.

Leopold introduced the new Vendetta. A laser that mounts on your bow, a pressure pad activated laser range finder that compensates for angles. (The idea has merit but with mount it looks a bit too big and heavy) let me know if you try one?

Now if you’re a hard core mountain man, survivalist, out looking to pit man against nature, you never leave home without your “BunnyBoots” while not a new product the big news about BunnyBoots is their now available at select Wal-Mart’s! Their still the same ole BunnyBoots... Layers of felt and wool sandwiched between two layers of rubber making them completely water proof. The BunnyBoot has probably saved more feet and lives out in back country than any other piece of equipment you can name!

Well that’s it for now… dust off your check books and credit cards head for your local sporting goods store… there sure are a lot of really cool goodies for 2011…

If you have your own really cool new product you want to add, please do… just don’t spam the boards and get us both in trouble K?

edit on 16-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: adding photos

edit on 16-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
From one retired E7 to another, Get well Bro.

KelTec is a small company. Their RFB is back ordered like six months. If you want one, you pretty much have to buy it through a auction. I predict that there will be the same problems with the KSG. I'd like to get my paws on both before I would plunk down the cash. Not fan of their sites either.

If I get to handle the RFB, I may sell my rifle and get one. I like the reworked bullpup idea, 7.62 in a small package with choice of barrel lengths.

I'm thinking of getting a RAV-22 for plinking. But they are pricey. Maybe I should just stick to a 10/22.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yep, The 10/22 was the first .22 rifle I purchased and its a hoot! Fun as all get out!

(from the son of an E-7 Gunny)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

My Dad gave me my first 10/22 when I was ten, which led to many safety lessons ie: @$$ Whuppins'

I was thinking of a new barrel for it as it almost a smooth bore now. Seriel # is in the 3 digit range, and everything is original still. Tough little gun......I know Gunny, weapon!

edit on 16-5-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by RUFFREADY

My Dad gave me my first 10/22 when I was ten, which led to many safety lessons ie: @$$ Whuppins'

I was thinking of a new barrel for it as it almost a smooth bore now. Seriel # is in the 3 digit range, and everything is original still. Tough little gun......I know Gunny, weapon!

edit on 16-5-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

This is your rifle, this is your gun... this ones for fighting... this ones for fun

the nice thing about the old 10/22 is replacing the barrel is easy and there are tons of great after market products for em.... however... yours sounds like a real keeper... maybe even worth some money to a collector... if it were me I'd retire it , turn it into a real family thresure to be pased down...and buy a replacement....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The new SR1911 from Ruger is pretty nice. As is the Range Officer 1911 from Springfield Armory.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Ruger: Most shooters have a real love hate relationship with the company. But whether you hate them or love em you should take a good hard long look at the Gunsite Scout Rifle. Developed by the late great Jeff Cooper, this .308 bolt action sports a short 16.5 barrel with threaded muzzle, ships with a mini 14 style flash suppressor and iron sights. Takes box magazines and has a picatinny rail mounted well forward just begging for an Aim point or red dot.

I'd so like to see that in a semi-auto version. Mini on steroids.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by crudos

Jeff Cooper was from my Generation and back in our day a bolt action was the best way to assure accuracy...
that's not necessarily true today with the advances we've had in manufacture... Still I think it's one cool little rifle

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by crudos

Another SOCOM II? While the AR has clones coming out the wazoo, the M14/M1A does not. I wonder why? Too heavy maybe? But, yep, I wouldn't mind seeing a Mini-14 in .308.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I had the barrel floated on my AR10. It's a nail driver. Just a tad bit on the heavy side though after carrying it all day, even with a sling.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I was looking at Kel Tec Sub compact 2000 (.40 S&W) I didn't know they had a shotgun coming out. It looks pretty cool might have to pick one of these up. Any idea on cost?

To add I am also a fan of the Kel-Tec RFB 7.62x51mm.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil3unnie

MSRP for the KSG at the moment is $800+. Might be cheaper when released.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
UTS-15 is another dual magazine shotgun that may be coming this year.

I believe it switches magazines automatically and alternates feeding between tubes.

Also, looks like the KelTec one will be featured in Modern Warfare 3. Just a "fun fact".

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I hope the price comes down. I was also looking at the Atchisson AA-12 for those interested.

Cartridge 12 Gauge
Rate of fire 300 rounds per minute
Feed system 8 rounds in box magazine, 20 rounds in drum magazines

edit on 16-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: Cannot get pics to show
Video instead

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I had the barrel floated on my AR10. It's a nail driver. Just a tad bit on the heavy side though after carrying it all day, even with a sling.

Did you notice... there seems to be a new trend in remembering AR style rifles for .308
everyone seems to be jumping on that bandwagon...

I wonder if it has to do with the current Army testing of a replacement for the M4????
as for extra carry weight???? try a thicker padded sling... might make it easier on your shoulder??

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The Keltec is nice, but there is a catch. The base "Civilian model" does not have the trigger reset, that would allow the user to hold the trigger down, pump and have the trigger reset and fire. For this option, you need to upgrade. That is pricey.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The 308, to me is a better round. Greater stopping power, longer distance. CQB you can change the round out and get some great results.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil3unnie

Ahh Dimitri the mad Russian, i love his videos.

FPS Russia rules.

Cosmic...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

My rifle may be a tad bit on the heavy side, but he's my brother.

After multiple tours, I just felt the need for a all-around round. The 7.62 fits that need nicely. As for the sling, I am putting together a vest with Wolf clip and see if that helps. Also, I see that I am going to have to push myself harder staying in shape. I've let my self go to a degree and getting older does not help.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
god!!! you guys are so lucky you can actually go out and shoot a gun in your own backyard if you want or you got so much country you can go out hunting with your guns, no problem. I wish I had a gun!

One very envious (and gunless) brit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join