It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal Gun story you won't see on the news!!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slade88green

Originally posted by LosLobos

Well lets see, I come upon a scene where a woman is attacking someone with a knife, black, white, red, green doesn't matter, the only one that is a danger at the time is the knife wielder. ]

Problem is you changed the whole scenario to fit your logic. I said the woman was attacking the Muslim man when you walked in. All you saw was a muslim man and a woman fighting about something. Even though the woman attacked him first.

And I'm saying it doesn't matter what the man looks like. If I come upon a scene like this its not like he has "Muslim" tattooed across his forehead. Even if he did, It doesn't change anything. It is still as simple as the only threat at the time is the woman with the knife

In all honesty here is what would probably happen in two scenarios.

Scenario one: Woman attacking muslim man. Man has knife. You shoot man.

Scenaior two: Woman attacking muslim man. Woman has knife. You tell woman to drop the knife. If she doesn't drop it then you shoot her in the leg or call the cops.

That's what would happen in the REAL WORLD. People with guns want to be the hero and get all the glory that comes with that.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

What is the right answer?

This is easy. I'm one man. I can't change the world. Just because you shoot someone to protect your wife doesn't mean the very next day the same thing won't happen. What makes anyone think if they shoot a deliverance person then the very next day a deliverance person won't try the same thing?

I'm calling the cops! Some perp is not like a deer you set up to be shot. If you shoot then chances are he won't die right away. And if I was him then I would be totally upset you tried to kill me. Then, I would make sure if I die some folks are coming with me.

I have children and grandchildren just like you. They love me and I love them. I'm not going to risk my life and their future because I want to play RAMBO on the weekends.

You can't save everyone. You can't even save your own wife when her TIME is up on this planet. That's out of our hands. No one can change the future.

Well, thats not really answering the ops question, but from this response are we to assume you would just walk away if someone was going after your kid with a knife? If some deranged psycho is after your family it must be their TIME? If you had a gun you would shoot them, plain and simple. Everyone would.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LosLobos

Fair enough. I was 15 miles out into a state park. This county has between 2 and 8 deputies on duty at any particular time, and the park would probably wind up being a Forestry Ranger that would respond. Assuming my cell phone had any reception, which is doubtful, but if it did have reception, help is at least 30 minutes away on a lucky day.

I could have called the cops, said my prayers and hoped for the best. I am a praying man. I do believe in a certain amount of fate. I also believe God empowers us, and on this day, it was my fate to ease out of the situation with a mixture of confidence and caution. Maybe your fate would have been to make some interesting new friends, have a beer and fish on the river bank, or maybe your fate would have been to watch your wife get violated for 30 minutes and become Bubba's new swamp bride and disappear just before the cops finally showed up.

I just can't see myself sitting idly by for 30 minutes while my wife is violated. If I was unarmed, I could live with watching the bike carted off in the back of at truck, but not the wife.

Also, even the cops will tell you that the best bet is to put up a fight. Like I said in an earlier post, the advice, directly from the police department, is never to leave with a perpetrator. Once you are in their control, you have very little chance of being rescued, or even recovered as evidence. Put up a stand on your own terms. That comes directly from the educational series that the cops do in banks and convenience stores. Give them the money and merchandise, but don't ever give them your person.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I'm calling the cops! .

You really are a pathetic sheeple. I'm not going to just watch some woman stabbing a man to death even if I'm not armed. Grab a bottle, a piece of wood, anything and throw it to distract her. Maybe just shouting and letting her know others are watching her will cause her to stop. I suppose you would whip out your Iphone and take video of the whole thing for evidence or, gosh!, maybe the evenning news. Remember "When seconds count the police are only minutes away".

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Scenaior two: Woman attacking muslim man. Woman has knife. You tell woman to drop the knife. If she doesn't drop it then you shoot her in the leg or call the cops.

That's what would happen in the REAL WORLD. People with guns want to be the hero and get all the glory that comes with that.

That is a fair and plausible assessment, especially to a novice in gun training.

Anyone experienced with guns and legal red tape knows you never shoot someone in the leg. You shoot for "center of mass" which also happens to be a likely kill shot. You shoot them until the threat is entirely neutralized, and in your mind, you pray they are dead, so they don't sue you afterwards. It is a sad state of affairs, but ask any cop on the street, and they will tell you their worst nightmare is to shoot someone and have them survive. You can't say "shoot to kill," because it can be misinterpreted into your vigilante/rambo vision. But, in reality, you don't really wanted a maimed litigant following you the rest of your life in and out of court.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

So give me one REAL WORLD incident where something even remotely like that happened. Honestly I wouldn't shoot either of them because you never know the true dynamics of a situation with only a second's look at it. In Florida I would be within the law to shoot the one with the knife stabbing the other. I would never do it because if you have judged the combatants roles wrong you could be going to prison for life or be ruined by a crippling civil law suit. I would try to stop her but not shoot her unless she came for me with the knife.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Well lets see, I come upon a scene where a woman is attacking someone with a knife, black, white, red, green doesn't matter, the only one that is a danger at the time is the knife wielder. ]

Problem is you changed the whole scenario to fit your logic. I said the woman was attacking the Muslim man when you walked in. All you saw was a muslim man and a woman fighting about something. Even though the woman attacked him first.

And I'm saying it doesn't matter what the man looks like. If I come upon a scene like this its not like he has "Muslim" tattooed across his forehead. Even if he did, It doesn't change anything. It is still as simple as the only threat at the time is the woman with the knife

No, in the real world, I pull my gun. I do not point it straight at them as I am not being directly threatened. I yell at he or she to stop or freeze. That very likely gets their attention. I yell at them to drop the knife.
Option one they don't .... I continue to engage in dialog as now the threat is at least temperately defused. I yell to anyone nearby to call the cops.
Option two they drop their weapon, situation defused. I yell at anyone nearby to call the cops.
Option three they charge me. I put two rounds in their chest. This is the only option where lethal force would be used. I yell at anyone nearby to call the cops.

I could not stand by and just let someone be severely injured or killed. Its not in my nature. Its not being a hero, its being human.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Interesting, all this critique (positive, negative, and neutral) your situation has provoked.
IMHO, there is only one bottom line: always trust your gut...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

First let me respectably say that Im relieved to know there's still people out in the world like yourself. Lawmakers need to really understand that police officers and military arent the only ones who can be responsible with a firearm. I honestly cant see that situation going down that way if you hadnt had yours on you. As I read your thread I honestly felt my pulse quicken and heart pound, picturing the psychotic family from Devils Rejects looking for a victim. For you to be there and actually stay calm, reasonable, AND prepared for the worst while knowingly keeping your woman at safe distance really shows your character. You said that you were scared for both your lives. To have a gun on you, scared, and know you'd have to use it if it came down to it...for some people thats all it takes to pull the trigger. I honestly cant imagine how evil those people had to be, but there intentions were obvious. Good job in choosing good over evil. I believe there were a hundred ways that situation couldve went bad and you chose wisely. I do hope you let the local PD know about the situation. People like that need to be off the streets, or away from the woods in that case.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Second, if some nut pulled a gun on me for trying to help his wife then that would totally P me off. Here I am trying to be a good sammaritan and some nut pulls a gun on me because I look like someone in a MOVIE he once saw.

NO, they look like plenty of people I have had dealings with in real life. But if I had given those peoples names it wouldn't have made much sense to anyone now would it? The way people look, and walk, and talk, is important. It says something about them, and their background, and their intentions. But, mistakes do happen, and there was ample opportunity for them to speak up and say they were just trying to help, or just going fishing, or whatever.

Third...if that happened then I would give him a REAL reason to pull his gun. I wouldn't do it then. I would follow them until I had a chance to kick his arse and rape his wife while he watched.

So Mr. anti-gun pacifist approves of rape as revenge for having his feelings hurt? No wonder you want us all unarmed. You motivations are becoming more clear and starting to make sense now. Maybe you should run for Governor of Illinois.

Actions have consequences..... His actions escalated a situtation in which he didn't even know what the situation was.

Please quote in my story where I pulled my gun, and where exactly the situation escalated. I am curious as to what story you are reading. Since I never pulled my gun, and I never said anything that wasn't friendly in nature, how could my actions have escalated anything? Once again, you are speaking from fantasyland.

For the record, it is immature hypocrites like you that make gun ownership all the more popular. Thanks for reinforcing your own stereotype. We know all about you, and we are ready.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2

So give me one REAL WORLD incident where something even remotely like that happened. Honestly I wouldn't

Okay, so let's say your worst fears came true. Oh wait, your worst fears never came true because you NEVER knew what their intentions were. Okay, I get that. Take no chances right?

So the same is true if YOU went up to my wife dressed like those bikers in Mad Max. I should walk up to you with my finger on the trigger? According to you, I am well within my rights to consider you a threat because in that movie those bikers were threats. So what you are saying is I should trust you no more than I should trust people who like like deliverance people

Yes or no? If yes then why? If no then who are you to draw down on someone who looks all dilverance and such?
edit on 12-5-2011 by LosLobos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I never said I was anti gun. What I said is people like playing RAMBO with their guns. There are two types of gun owners. HUNTERS and RAMBOS. When I hunt its for the thrill of the sport. When RAMBO's hunt its for the thrill of killing another human being.

Two different types of people.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Sir, people like this have never had to truly defend themselves. They think their definition of what is moral is more than sufficient to ward off all evils in the world.

They believe that they can reason with those intent on violence, and regard anyone who would respond to violent aggression with the same contempt as the aggressors themselves. They want it both ways, and twist logic to get there.

I have had to defend my life before. And I have had to hold people at gun point in order to DEescalate the situation. The way you handled your situation requires no justification to someone who wasn't there and has never had to defend himself, likely, in any form that could be construed as life threatening. The fact is, you're dealing with an inexperienced person attempting to impose his version of "reality" upon a situation that if given the opportunity HE would have escalated with his moral indignation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I'm answering his question by explaining real world situations. First of all, he had no way of knowing what their intentions were. He can claim spidey sense all day long. But in the grand scheme of things, he never knew what their intentions were.

Second, if some nut pulled a gun on me for trying to help his wife then that would totally P me off. Here I am trying to be a good sammaritan and some nut pulls a gun on me because I look like someone in a MOVIE he once saw.

Third...if that happened then I would give him a REAL reason to pull his gun. I wouldn't do it then. I would follow them until I had a chance to kick his arse and rape his wife while he watched.

Actions have consequences..... His actions escalated a situtation in which he didn't even know what the situation was.

He didnt pull his gun, they never even knew he had one. Nobody can say what their intentions truly were. If they were just good Samaritans then the worst that happened is they thought "wow that guy was mean looking" if they were planing something it was taken care of. No gun out, no finger on the trigger, nothing giving the slightest hint he had a gun. His actions did not escalate anything, they ended the situation be it good or bad.

Your third is a farce. People that have backed down from force put toward them aren't going to then follow you to try again. They have backed down and have shown they are submissive. In this sense people aren't much different from dogs. The alpha doesn't have to use violence 99% of the time to show he is dominant.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Slade88green because: spelling

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

When did he say he was "hunting" another human being?

I hunt and I take my personal security as serious as does the OP.

So does my wife.

I hate these "there are only two kinds of people in this world" BS, because you attempting to drive the story in a direction it wasn't going to begin with.

You're trying to win an argument you started by forcing your idea of logic and morality down other's throats like you're the end all be all of how to handle potentially deadly situations.

In other words, you have no idea what you're talking about...But you'll never admit it because you are self-righteous and condescending.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

So the same is true if YOU went up to my wife dressed like those bikers in Mad Max.

Absolutely.

I already described what I was wearing. The situation could have been reversed. If I rode my bike up on a young couple canoodling on a river bank, and I parked, and strolled down the riverbank in my overalls, boots, and doorag, they should be worried, and they should be cautious, and they should act accordingly. They have no way of knowing that I am a decent guy, and I am just looking for my lost cell phone from the day before. ..............but, since I am have no bad intentions, I will quickly explain what I am doing there, and apologize for interrupting and frightening them. Of course, any decent criminal might do the same, so even after that, they should give me plenty of space and take evasive actions just in case. I wouldn't take it personally at all. In fact, I would be upset if they didn't.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Fortunately your name says more about you than your words.
Los Lobos= the wolf.
The predator, ready to stalk and rape a woman.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I think the whole story is suspect. OP walks up on 3 individuals not knowing what is going on? Not knowing if they all had guns? In that movie deliverance they all had guns. Even the banjo kid probably had a gun.

Was the OP going to go all Clint Eastwood on them? Maybe he had a iron vest underneath his poncho. The heart deliverance people....the heart.

The whole story sounds suspect to me.

Maybe that's why no call was made to the police for the attempted assault on his wife.
edit on 12-5-2011 by LosLobos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

When I hunt its for the thrill of the sport. When RAMBO's hunt its for the thrill of killing another human being.

When I hunt it is for some good deer jerky and sausage. I would never hunt for "sport." Again, your skewed view of things is getting in your way of logic. I have nothing against trophy hunters, but personally, I think it is quite a waste of a good animal.

When I carry my gun, it is neither for hunting, or being a rambo. It is the same reason I carry a spare tire in my trunk. I have never needed to put a spare tire on my car, but it is there if I need it. I haven't been in a car wreck in years, but I still wear my seatbelt. I haven't shot anyone in 15 years, but I still carry my gun.

I never said I was anti gun.

Maybe not, but you did say you were pro-rape. That makes a hell of a man out of you doesn't it?
edit on 12-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join