It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Deja Vu???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
A couple days ago I had deja vu and lately me and my friends have been discussing our views on the subject. I did a search and deja vu hasnt been talked about on here in a little while and I would like to hear the current ATS members' views on this subject.

Deja Vu to me is a very interesting subject and one that no one seams to know the real answer to, besides some theories (needs to be more research done into the subject). It also makes me think of The Matrix and the black cat Neo sees. If I remember correctly in the movie deja vu was a glitch that would happen when they changed something.

The definition in the dictionary of Deja Vu is "the illusion of having previously experienced something actually being encountered for the first time" or "disagreeable familiarity or sameness." So, is it simply just that our brain is sending so many messages that it is getting confused about when it has happened and just simply is a mistake like an error for a computer and the messages its sending?? I know there are theories out there that go along with this saying that they get mixed up with the short term and long term memories, or that we have seen it in our unconscious but not consciously. But they are at this time still only theories.

The origin of the word Deja Vu comes from the French and means "literally, already seen." So does this mean that we have already seen this in the past and we are once again experiencing it or have we already seen it in the future and it is to say a blast from the future??? That goes along with precognitive deja vu thoughts and that what one sees and feels as deja vu could be what is going to happen in the future. That it is a little glimpse of what is to come.

What is everyones thoughts on Deja Vu, as I am still not sure as to what i think it really is. It is though something that bothers me a lot (as it does happen to me once in awhile) and something I believe that we need to do more research into and find more about. Who knows it could be something very useful if we were to figure it out and maybe it would not be useful. Either way it is an interesting topic to discuss about and I look forward into hearing others thoughts.

P.S. Its been a couple months since I have been on ATS (due to life throwing some curveballs at me) and it is a great feeling to be back and talking to some of the great people in the world that our here on ATS!
edit on 5/10/2011 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

hi, ive had de jas since i was a child, they was not significant, not to my understanding anyway.
but i do remember my first one because i did dream it the night before, like i say nothing significant, but i was 8 yrs old and at school when it first happend and the last time was about 2 yrs ago.....dave

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

i think I've had this question Before...!!?!!?!!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

I don't know much about deja vu, but I think I've had many experiences with precognition which is pretty close.

It used to happen to me a lot as a child. It would be things as small as waiting to cross a street and I'd see a scene play out in my mind. Nothing major, I would just know exactly what cars were about to go. It would happen very rapidly though, having only a few seconds at most to process what I saw before it actually happened.

There was a period of about 10 years where it didn't happen at all. Now, at 19, it's recently started happening again occasionaly. Now it's more like weeks between seeing it in my mind (visions? I feel like that makes it sound crazier) and seeing it actually happen.

My most recent example was from something pretty unimportant, as usual. A few weeks ago I a dream or vision (it's hard to tell the difference sometimes) that involved me filling out a survey. Just last week I happened to fill out that exact survey. It was the same word for word.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I believe in reincarnation...I think that deja vu is us remembering something that happened to us in a past life.

link   
reply to post by davesmart

Thanks for sharing Dave. Yeah sometimes for me it is not significant at all, however other times it has. This confuses me in the fact that it is never the same significance wise.

reply to post by darrman

Hahahaha. I was wondering when someone was going to say that. Got to it quick, huh? lol

link   
i seen to get it every day even had me convinced that im dead and just dreaming within a dream>

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i think everyone has had dejavu since they were younger. MY personal opinion. de ja vu is merely something we dream about on a sub conscious level when we are sleeping. i dont think they are even dreams at that. i think we DO have the ability to see into the future using the energy around us...how its done is obviously beyond me.

wait till you have a de ja vu where the past, present and future are tied into one. and you know what has happened already, what is currently happening, and what is about to happen all at once. its the trippiest most supernatural thing ive ever experienced. almost like being in a different dimension.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

wouldnt that mean we liv st same life over and over

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

It means they changed something in the Matrix.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Wow thanks for sharing. I too once in awhile will have such experiences with precognition in dreams and such. Why do you think you have these experiences? Is it a mistake in the brain running messages or is it the ability to see what will happen in the future??

Why can some people experience this and others don't? (deja vu and precognition) What could we do if we were able to control it??

reply to post by caladonea

I like that caladonea. I too believe in reincarnation and think that is a possibility that we are seeing something from a past life. Though I wonder would things would be different now then in past or future lives so how could it be the exact same image transfered over? Hope that made sense.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Deja Vu I believe is ourselves glimpsing the future that already exists.

For example, I believe the future and our fate is already drawn out, like a crotchet pattern. The only thing is that the pattern has not materialized. So through dreams or intuitiveness or however we sometimes glimpse the future, Deja Vu is our conscious recognizing something that is usually in the sub or other levels of consciousness and it occasionally reaches our awake self.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by picky

Yeah, the whole us being a dream within a dream, has always interested me as well.

reply to post by HispanicPanic

I agree that is definitely is tied in with the sub-conscious. In a way I guess you could say we have dreamed up everything, so I see where you are going with that we dreamed up deja vu, though I wouldn't lean on it too much. I too though think we have the ability to see parts of the future. Who knows what would happen if we could control it, whether it be for good or bad to be able to see the future.

Ive never had deja vu incorporating all three; past, present , and future. Does sounds like a good trip though, lol.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Oh, great topic. I have Deja Vu all the time. I usually have a dream and wake up and think that was weird. However a couple of weeks later it comes true, I usually dream very mundane things, unfortunately it hasn't help me to win the lottery

I like to think that when I experience Deja Vu, that the universe is telling me that I am on the right course. As an athiest, I didn't believe in God but I couldn't explain why my dreams were coming true, since then I now consider myself a spiritual person and I believe in the soul.......I just don't follow the religions that we have on this planet....

A little off topic, I have a VERY vivid dream a few weeks ago where I was with my dad and son doing errands and I realize the sky is lighting up orange. I am looking at the dream as a third person (weird) and I am watching myself tell my son not to be afraid and to keep looking at me and not the fires, I grabbed him and held on to my dad as we burned to death....it has freaked me out a little (I don't want that one to come true), coz I don't know what happenedd to my daughter and hubby.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by picky

Yeah thats what I was saying in my response. If it was the same image from a past life it would have to be the same life in the current one to have the same exact image. Wouldn't it or would it???

reply to post by UrgentInsurgent

Haha, already mentioned that in my OP.

reply to post by SadButTrue

Interesting, SadButTrue. I see where you are going there. A question though for you. If our fate and future our drawn out then is there no way to change it?? Is there no choice or have we made the choice for these lives before we were born and are en route to the experiences we set out to experience in this life??
Hope that made sense.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Deja Vu is caused by a leak in the amygdala, which is a region in the brain which deals with memory. When that happens, whatever you are doing at the moment of the 'leak' is associated with a past memory, so it's sort of like a glitch in your brain.
edit on 10-5-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I get 'Deja Vu' quite a bit when I'm either very tired or hungover.

I think it occurs when the eyes take something in that the brain has not yet fully comprehended, and then when the brain does 'process' this information, we assume it has already occured, hence the feeling of 'Deja Vu'.

Kind regards,

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by patral

I too do not follow a particular religion and more of a spiritual person and universe as a whole working together. Its a nice reassuring thought that you believe it is telling us we are going down the right course. I do think in life that everything happens for a reason and everything does have a purpose. That is why I am so interested in finding the purpose of things like deja vu. They are happening to us for a reason and I think it would be beneficial to us if we were able to find out why it does happen and what we can do with it to better ourselves, humanity, and the universe.

Crazy dream you had. Could be with all the 2012 talks and predicitions, it may have sub-consciously entered your thoughts and come out in a terrible nightmare/dream for you. Hopefully though this one does not come true for you.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Yes, I have heard that before. What about times where people had never been in the place they experienced deja vu or see it? How do you explain it similar past place in the past or is past lives? What about those that can see numerous things before they happen and they do?

reply to post by Ir0nM0nkey

I also see where youre coming from as well.

For both of you thought you are talking about someone feeling deja vu. Does this glitch or failed process make you see it as well, or just feel it??

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Heres my take on it, a very brief take as i could literally talk for hours on this.

Deja Vu in my opinion for those that experience it is your unconcious mind telling your concious mind that you are in the right place at the right time, as in you are following the path you are meant too.

I believe deeply that those who experience Deja Vu have already been or seen where they are at that moment because of the simple fact that life is a complete illusion, marked by time as a reference. Before life is infinte, after lfe is infinite so life exists in the infinite, so you are not actually here, you are not alive, nor are you dead. Deja vu is a remineder and an alert that you are where you are meant to be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join