It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts: proposed "arsenal" law"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn

I would rather be shot dead than shoot someone else.

Right there is the problem. You don't even value your own life. That is indicative of a mental issue that should probably be addressed by professionals. Lets say you saw someone murdering your parents, or a loved one. You would let them die because you are too much of a coward to end the life of an attacker?????

On a side note: A gun has one single purpose, and it isn't to destroy.

The ONLY purpose of a firearm is to fire a projectile. Where that projectile goes is determined entirely by the human operator.
edit on 10-5-2011 by ViperChili because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Full Story here

Lavallee, Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone and Rep. Kevin Murphy helped city officials craft a home rule petition seeking the power to require owners of 10 or more firearms to notify police of the weapons' location within 24 hours of possessing them. The proposed law would also require owners of more than 10 firearms to secure them in a locked safe or vault and install an alarm system with central monitoring that would notify police when the alarm is activated.

So lets look at both sides...
in attempted break in the police would be notified instantly and alerted to Armed intruders.
that's a plus...

but at the same time we all know what slow response times police officers have...
alarm systems or not... a good smash and grab crew will be in and out in under 3 minutes!

Plus they are not saying who foots the bill for this fancy alarm reporting system??? the gun owner or the tax payer???

So is there an alternative?

The group (The Gun Owners' Action League ) has sponsored legislation known as the "Civil Rights and Public Safety Act," which would create stiffer penalties for prohibited persons who possess firearms and create laws concerning breaking and entering with the intent to steal a firearm. The legislation would also create a unit within the State Police, which would be called the Criminal Firearms and Trafficking Division, that would help the state attorney general's office investigate and prosecute crimes involving the unlawful use of firearms.

Well that seems reasonable to me... and this proposed new unit would be investigating all gun thefts and not just those from home owners who happen to have ten or more weapons...

Once again this brings up the age old question... do we really new gun laws.... or would we be better off enforcing the laws we already have?
edit on 9-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

The only thing standing between the USA being totally overthrown by the Globalist-Collectivist-Fascists that have already taken over our government, are the private gun owners and anyone who proposes or supports this or any law to infringe upon our 2nd Amendment is traitor and enemy of our Republic. I wonder how much stronger I could state this?

edit on 10-5-2011 by MajorKarma because: Typos and expanded comment

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

I would rather be shot dead than shoot someone else.

Right there is the problem. You don't even value your own life. That is indicative of a mental issue that should probably be addressed by professionals. Lets say you saw someone murdering your parents, or a loved one. You would let them die because you are too much of a coward to end the life of an attacker?????

On a side note: A gun has one single purpose, and it isn't to destroy.

The ONLY purpose of a firearm is to fire a projectile. Where that projectile goes is determined entirely by the human operator.

lol i'd obviously try to stop them. I never said i'd stand idly by. but im not worried enough to buy a gun for a rare hypothetical situation.

its not that i don't value my own life, its that I don't value it over someone else's. im not special. im a single human in billions.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Killing in self defense, or defense of others is hardly a "rare hypothetical situation".

People like you are the reason others have guns. In times of need, the cowards call people with guns.

You might want to see a mental health professional about your self esteem and insecurity issues.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Killing in self defense, or defense of others is hardly a "rare hypothetical situation".

People like you are the reason others have guns. In times of need, the cowards call people with guns.

You might want to see a mental health professional about your self esteem and insecurity issues.

im against guns so i need to see a psychiatrist lol right... you guys should stop watching fox news. the worlds really isn't that dangerous.

insecurity issues? wouldn't I want a gun if i felt insecure?
and my self esteem if perfectly fine. i spend most of my day smiling and laughing. My life is good without guns thank you.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

its also far from cowardly to not want a gun. i don't need a weapon of death to make me feel safe or strong.

its funny how people here said I am afraid of guns because i don't understand, and now your telling me I need a mental health check.

perhaps its you who doesn't understand my perspective.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by DaddyBare

lol where do you live so i can stay far far away. im a musician and you own more guns than I do instruments. you seems like a family that hunts so I understand owning some guns, but seriously now... how many rabbits do you need to kill....

c'mon...he has rabbits and squirrels all over the place...and they all need to be shot. 10 gun limit??? there should be no limit on how many you can own. it is our god-given right to kill as many animals as we wish, plus the occasional tresspasser. we are americans for christs sake.

Its not a "need" thing for me it is a right. I just don't believe that others should be able to tell me how many "things" that I "need". Glad that you enjoy and respect that type of overseeing. I don't and never will.

lol finally someone gets what i'm saying! I have no quarrel with firearms being used for hunting, its just a necessity vs hobby thing. theres no way you need more than 10 firearms, for anything!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Not likely there Canadian music genius, they existed back then and would continue to exist this day even if your “brilliant" plan would come into effect. So much for that higher Canadian education and those spot on history books.

b.t.w. I own more than 10 guns, just like I own more than 1 paddle or type of ascender or rope or wrench. Why because variety is grand and sometimes a necessity.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

That sounds like they are taking a cue from Ireland which has a similar gun law if you have 3 or more 'restricted' weapons and yes they want YOU to pay for the f&^^&$ alarm system. Making it a law for the rich and not the poorer citizen.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I live in Lowell, Massachusetts, One of the reasons they are doing this is because about 40 guns and rifles was stolen from a home and only 7 was recovered in different cities. I'm pretty sure the rest hit the streets Massachusetts and gun crimes started to increase, such as shootings,homicide,armed robberies,shots fired reports ect.

Proposed Lowell law would tighten rules for gun owners
By Lyle Moran, [email protected]
Posted: 05/06/2011 06:36:01 AM EDT

LOWELL -- When thieves broke into a home in the Acre neighborhood on a weekend in early January and stole about 40 guns from a homemade vault, police were not notified until the homeowner returned to his property early the next week.

Since then, two men have been indicted for their alleged roles in the crime, but just a handful of the guns stolen from 9 Dublin St. have been recovered.

"Those weapons are out on the street and in the hands of criminals," said Lowell Police Superintendent Kenneth Lavallee.

In order to prevent similar incidents in Lowell and the movement of guns from the hands of law-abiding citizens to lawbreakers, Lavallee, Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone and Rep. Kevin Murphy helped city officials craft a home-rule petition seeking the power to require owners of 10 or more firearms to notify police of the weapons' location within 24 hours of possessing them.

The proposed law would also require owners of more than 10 firearms to secure them in a locked safe or vault and install an alarm system with central monitoring that would notify police when the alarm is activated.

The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to send the home-rule petition to the state Legislature. If the proposal receives state approval, Lowell would be the only community in the state requiring residents who possess large numbers of firearms to tell the city of their location and install an alarm system, Lavallee and gun-owner advocates said.
Advertisement

Secure storage of the guns should help prevent thefts, and the alarm systems would enable police to respond quickly to potential thefts and keep the guns out of criminals' hands, said Lavallee.

"The main idea is to prevent guns from getting out on the street," he said.

Police would also benefit from knowing if they are entering a home where the homeowner or potential thieves are armed, an important ability Lavallee compared to firefighters knowing if the homes and facilities they enter are housing hazardous chemicals.

Lowell also wants to require all owners of more than five firearms in the city to store them in a locked safe or vault. Violators of the law would face up to five years in state prison or up to 2.5 years in a jail or house of correction. Fines of between $5,000 and $10,000 could also be levied on violators.

James Machado, executive director of the Massachusetts Police Association, praised Lowell's proposal for its potential public-safety benefits, but said law-enforcement officials must make sure there are strong protections in place so that criminals are unable to access any gun database the city would create.

"The police will have to be careful how they alert each other," Machado said. "It is not something you want to talk about over the air."

Machado also cautioned that the law will only be effective if it calls for gun owners to place their weapons in safes and vaults that are extremely difficult to penetrate. A lock box where people typically place their insurance papers should not qualify, he said.

The home-rule petition defines a safe or vault as a fireproof container with a combination key or locking mechanism that is fastened to the wall or the floor.

Murphy, a Lowell Democrat whose district includes Dublin Street, said the city was wise to take the home-rule route because it would be much more difficult to pass statewide legislation with similar provisions. If the petition makes it through the legislative process and proves successful in stemming gun violence in Lowell, it could become a statewide model, he said.

"I hope the argument that we are only talking about the city of Lowell, which is an urban center with gun-violence issues, will help its chances," Murphy said.

But the state's most prominent gun-owners group hopes to see Lowell's proposal rejected by state lawmakers. Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners' Action League, said he is worried Lowell's proposal would make an already confusing system of laws regulating licensing and storage of firearms more confusing.

State law requires lawful owners of firearms, rifles or shotguns to secure them in a locked container or equipped tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device to prevent any unlawful person from using the weapon. Police should know where licensed gun owners live because of laws already in place, and police are able to respond quickly to any incidents, Wallace said.

"They already know who we are and where we are," Wallace said.

The Gun Owners' Action League believes the state should place its focus on handing out harsh punishments to gun thieves. Gun-related deaths have increased by 68 percent since the state passed a gun-control law in 1998, according to Wallace.

The group has sponsored legislation known as the "Civil Rights and Public Safety Act," which would create stiffer penalties for prohibited persons who possess firearms and create laws concerning breaking and entering with the intent to steal a firearm. The legislation would also create a unit within the State Police, which would be called the Criminal Firearms and Trafficking Division, that would help the state attorney general's office investigate and prosecute crimes involving the unlawful use of firearms.

"If you take people off the street stealing guns, we would not have these problems," Wallace said.

Read more: www.lowellsun.com...

www.boston.com...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

reply to post by ViperChili

its also far from cowardly to not want a gun. i don't need a weapon of death to make me feel safe or strong.

its funny how people here said I am afraid of guns because i don't understand, and now your telling me I need a mental health check.

perhaps its you who doesn't understand my perspective.

I never said not having guns makes you mental. I simply said you dont value your life enough to take the necessary action to protect it (ending the life of someone harming you), and THAT is what makes you mentally deficient.

You deemed guns the tool with which to do so. It could be a knife,. railroad spike, car, pencil, hammer, etc etc.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

That your own personal belief and not the beliefs of society in whole, I’m sure there are many more out there who are willing to do what it takes to survive a violent encounter. I’m one of them and if and when that time comes, I want to be the one holding all the cards and have the upper on my opponent (who chose to forfeit their own life by threating mine). There may be billions out there, but there is only one me and that more than enough reason for me to fight back. You only get one shot at life, preserve it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Must not be a good musician then
Most of the friends I have in the music business own dozens of instruments, I know one who's filled a house with every kind of music instrument he can lays his hands on...

I am tone deaf and have rotten rhythm. There are just two of us. We own well over ten musical insturments (six pianos???) and four guns and a compound bow. Neither of us hunt. I am presently thinking we need to purchase a pistol or two.

WHY???
We have people with big money intent on "Rewilding " the USA with animals including large carnivoires. We also have rabies. I have personally killed two rabid animals. One a few feet from my neighbors two year old son in her garden (Mass.), the second in my barn (S.C.)

Coyote Attacks on Children

...Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old Toronto singer whose debut album was released in March, has died in a Nova Scotia hospital after being mauled by coyotes...

...A coyote grabbed a 2-year-old girl by the head and tried to drag her from the front yard...

...Three people were bitten by a coyote over about a 21/2-hour span Tuesday morning in Palmer, prompting township police to warn day care centers, the Palmer Park Mall and everyone they saw walking around that a possibly rabid coyote was roaming the area and attacking people....

...A rabid coyote terrorized a Lower Heidelberg Township couple attacking one of their dogs and trying to break into their house before homeowner Craig S. Luckenbill killed it with a shotgun....

MASHPEE, Mass. - A security guard... patrolling the grounds of Willowbend Country Club was bitten on Thursday night...

Wilmington [Mass.] Police Officer and former Concord prison guard Louis Martignetti found that out the hard way Saturday when a coyote attacked his daughter and then him while his family did yard-work at their home off Burlington Avenue....

MARSTONS MILLS [Mass] - Woman Bitten by rabid coyote. Dressed only in underwear and a T-shirt, a man rescued his wife from the jaws of a rabid coyote that attacked her in their back yard yesterday, clubbing it with a piece of lumber....

In one town, after three?? attacks the town trapped and shot 55 coyotes within a half mile radius of the attacks.

...State Troopers on Thursday concluded a woman found dead in Chignik Lake early this week was most likely killed in a wolf attack, and state authorities were headed there to try to capture or kill the animals....

The state medical examiner concluded, following an autopsy Thursday morning, that the cause of death was "multiple injuries due to animal mauling." Based on interviews with biologists and villagers in Chignik Lake, troopers concluded wolves were the animals most likely responsible, troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said in a statement.... www.adn.com...#

In the eastern United States, rumors and myths of pumas never died. But these big cats are slowly making their way from myth to reality — especially along the Appalachian Mountains from Virginia to Georgia. There, puma sightings are steadily increasing, and a government bounty is offered in many places for confirmed sightings. One very compelling piece of evidence surfaced in June 1997, when a Kentucky man hit and killed a puma kitten with his truck. DNA analysis proved that the animal was descended in part from wild North American pumas, and it showed no evidence of having been someone’s escaped pet.[3]

The sightings are not limited to the mountains either. Locals as far east as the Coastal Plain Region of North Carolina have reported sightings.[4] In 1994 Charles R. “Buster” Humphreys Jr. claimed in his book, Panthers of the Costal Plain to have recorded over 500 sightings of panthers. Half of these were coal black panthers. This species has never been officially recorded in the State of North Carolina.[5].... www.ipuma.org...

A couple of guys caught a release team with a breeding pair of black panthers ( melanistic jaguars) in the mountains of North Carolina. We saw one and so have several neighbors. Bobcats and bear have been sighted (photographed & paw prints) too. Red wolf have been release in a nearby area.

The jaguar has had several confirmed, and many unconfirmed, sightings in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and southwest Texas.

US officials deny ALL sightings on the east coast....

...What little genetic evidence we have seems to bear out the exotic pet trade origins of cougars in the eastern states. Genetic tests were conducted on a cougar cub that was hit by a car in Kentucky....

This brings us to the second question that I posed earlier, which was why government agencies deny that these thousands of sightings have taken place. In large part, it's the fact that the eastern cougar is still on the federal endangered species list. If DGIF (or any other state's wildlife agency) officially agrees that there are eastern cougars running around, then suddenly they have a whole host of obligations. Conservation groups would descend on them, demanding efforts to nurture and protect this animal and it's habitat. They'd have to pay for studies and find the funds and the strategy for protecting the habitat. Private land owners might suddenly face development restrictions on what they can do with their own land.

Meanwhile, there'd be a whole other backlash from people concerned about the eventual consequences of living with a very large predator that can and does eat human beings on occasion. One group of hunters would be asking to hunt them right away while another group would be asking that they be protected and nurtured in order to produce a large enough population to hunt in small numbers indefinitely.

In a nutshell, officially admitting that there are wild cougars in Virginia invites a political mess that none of these people really wants to deal with. Can you really blame them? So in response to sighting after sighting and article after article, DGIF and other agencies give the same old 'swamp gas and weather balloons' routine, as if we were talking about unicorns or velociraptors hiding out in the Blue Ridge Mountains....

Comments:

....I live in southwest Virginia, and I have heard numerous accounts of mountain lions in my area. I find it ironic that some of the ones seen had tracking collars on them.....
rule-303.blogspot.com...

rewilding.org...

www.sciamdigital.com...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
In england we have to keep guns in a safe.
and the ammo must be kept somware else.
Yes for FAC weapons.
Not for Shotgun Certificate weapons.

it is a very good idea.

Not for RTKBA it isn't

See bold.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Originally posted by buddha
In england we have to keep guns in a safe.
and the ammo must be kept somware else.
Yes for FAC weapons.
Not for Shotgun Certificate weapons.

it is a very good idea.

Not for RTKBA it isn't

See bold.

In England you need a permit to buy a high-powered BB Gun. No thank you!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

reply to post by RickyD

we should destroy all guns and only allow swords. reinstate the samurai code. i'm sure the cowards that use guns against innocents to rob or intimidate would all but vanish.

Yeah they tried that in Japan after WW2 but they just use cars, knives and poison gas for spree killings now.

In Korea they have ultra-strict gun laws so it's petrol-attacks on subways that went down there.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

www.youtube.com... please watch this video this is where and how I see it

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by radpilot

www.youtube.com... please watch this video this is where and how I see it

This video won’t help him understand a thing, he’s from a country that’s still under the crown. He has no concept of true human rights and the need to protect them, only has an understanding of bowing and listening to a parliament without question. Used to be what the king says goes or you’re a traitor, now it’s parliament, and whether you like it or not what they say now goes. The only thing that will stop a ranaway tyrant is force, the alternative is being in a camp. This is only 1 reason to own a firearm, there are many more that are just as important.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
A thought occurs to me. If this law does go into effect, everyone forced to have their safes and vaults monitored should open them as often as possible. You get up in the morning, open the safe. Commercial on TV, open the safe. I would take the time to rig up a device that would open the safe every 30 seconds. If everyone did that, the law would go away quick.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Hey buddy....I'm canadian too, and guess what, we got shafted.....we have No way to protect ourselves legally from enemy's foreign and Domestic.

The G20 gave us a glimpse of whats coming...better start running now

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join