It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Evidence for Large Triggered Earthquakes Across the Globe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Released: 3/28/2011 9:33:40 AM

New scientific research concludes that large earthquakes do not increase the global seismic hazard for more damaging earthquakes far from the mainshock. Although large aftershocks close to the mainshock remain highly probable following an earthquake

USGS

this is almost disappointing that a major earthquake on the pacific rim (ahem japan) could never set off a large earthquake in California or on the juan de fuca. says nothing about a major earthquake wouldn't/couldn't set off volcanoes. also says nothing about haarp

anybody want to call BS on the USGS? i mean this could just really be a "calm down you are safe" report when really southern California has been silent for 300 or so years?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestyka

You will be closer to reality if you go 180 on any weather related info made public by any government through MSM.
Natural disasters are no different.
edit on 8-5-2011 by lestweforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

this is almost disappointing that a major earthquake on the pacific rim (ahem japan) could never set off a large earthquake in California or on the juan de fuca.

Wow...Disappointing? Really? Bad choice of words, lol. If they are telling the truth, then that is very good news for everyone in the world. Besides, I'd figure that if it was gonna happen at all, the 3/11 quake in Japan would have triggered a quake in Cali by now.
edit on 5/8/2011 by banandar123 because: Grammar.

edit on 5/8/2011 by banandar123 because: Minor mistakes.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by banandar123

Was thinking exactly the same thing. What sick individual would wish for a major earthquake in a heavily populated area just to get there jollies here on ATS?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Isnt it the popular theory that haarp is what caused the japanese tsunami and earthquakes?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There are much more effective, and untraceable, methods in which one may trigger an earthquake.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BanMePlz

The popular theory involves plate tectonics. The crackpot theory involves HAARP.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

If a quake is large enough, that energy would transfer to other plates, would it not? It would be like a bunch of guys standing real close in a single file line, if you punch the first guy in the face with enough force, the guy in the back of the line will end up with a broken nose, as will everyone in between for that matter. I mean, it'd have to be a hell of a punch, but to say a quake couldn't effect other plates sounds like a "society soothing" report to me.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
they lie
we listen

we shout
we are crazy

the circle continues
the circle of lies

the one is coming
bringing a culling

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
but to say a quake couldn't effect other plates sounds like a "society soothing" report to me.

There are probably so many variables that come into this, such as focal depth, kinematics, magnitude, basement geology, plate configuration, location of other faults, and not least of all the grand passing of geologic time. It's not even a blink since the Japanese quake, or the September Christchurch quake either, nor the Boxing Day quake that caused the Tsunami.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Sorry, Before USGS... there was Newton's Laws of Physics especially the every action has an equal and opposite reaction...and he had no computer data and they are some of the Basic laws in all physics/science to this day.
Why would they not apply to tectonic movement, or the manipulation of tectonic/environmental/atmospheric variables? just my .02 though.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
wow little response considering the report quells alot of speculation that goes on here at ats!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
report does nothing
but state ones views

ones who are in power
power corrupts

and ones with power lie
lies kill

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by banandar123

Hello I am new member on ATS however, I have been checking this site daily for over a year for all of my information. I am a Geology Student with an emphasis in Volcanology. Everyday since the March 11 earthquake in Japan all we have talked about in my geology classes is how that even Has triggered earthquakes around the world. When one side of a plate has a large earthquake and is moved it does affect the other side of the plate. The pacific plate is jammed underneathe the Cascadian Subduction Zone up where I live. National geographic even put out an episode about the Cascadian Subduction Zone a few weeks after the Japan Earthquake. However, since I have been spending my whole career to work for the U.S.G.S. and have friends that work for them I can tell you that they are still a Government OWNED agency. Therefore there are certain things they can and cannot say and have to keep quiet. Remember California is the 8th largest Economy in the World. Therefore any information that could help californians prepare will be kept secret. Money Money Money Rules all. I live in Humboldt County California right on the fault so I have already prepared myself. Also considering I believe I just read that 70% (please correct me if I am wrong) of America's food comes from a long the Mississippi River they are experience horrible flooding, The rest of the bread basket is in drought conditions or on fire. Where is FEMA and Red Cross? Can't have the MSM talk about this because it could create a panic that could quicken the pace of the falling American Dollar. Know that this sounds like a total contradiction. TPTB have there hands in every inch of media.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Dude..Jesus Christ...I read the article, and it's still not a good choice of words to say that you're disappointed that an earthquake on the Ring of Fire can't trigger an earthquake in the United States.How does that make me retarded?
edit on 5/9/2011 by banandar123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Volcanologist31

Hey! I'm a newish member, too. I agree with you on your standpoint. My post was only directed at the OP's statement that he was disappointed that there wouldn't be a big earthquake in the U.S. caused by the 3/11 quake. I'm still neutral as to whether a massive earthquake can trigger additional massive earthquakes across the world. I as just criticizing his choice of words.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Why would they lie? Lol, they already tell us here in Cali that we're going to have one sooner or later... I don't think they're pulling any BS...it's common knowledge around here that we live in Earthquake Country. We don't need an EQ in Japan to trigger a big quake.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Avyuir because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join