It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portuguese island to become first CO2-free island

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I only saw this today on the Euronews site, but it aired on May, 2.

They are doing it there because it's a small island with less than 5,000 inhabitants and probably not much energy hungry installations, like factories, but it's a start.

Portugal already has a high percentage of electricity produced by renewable methods, and the less we need fossil fuels the better.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
There will be no plants living on that island.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by binkbonk

I guess they should have said "artificially produced CO2-free".

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Did they kill all the animals and people there?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This rediculous AWG religion simply must end. What a joke.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
so they cant play paintball there?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee

Or open sodas or beer?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

the less we need fossil fuels the better.

I thought I'd repeat this part for you.

This point always seems to get missed by all the ideologues who use any mention of CO2 to start brainlessly regurgitating some conservative diatribe, even though it's been conveniently spoonfed to them by the very same people who have a vested interest in everyone relying on fossil fuels. Go figure lol

Anyway thanks for sharing this Armap. It's a very important prototype because although they are only a small isolated community, in many ways they actually face much BIGGER challenges because of that.

Ideally the best way to deal with the variable nature of solar and wind energy is to implement a grid big enough and smart enough to compensate for drops in local production: i.e. the wind is always blowing somewhere, so spread your sources out far enough that you're constantly amassing a consistent average.

It will be interesting to see how these people fare with just a localized input and some really good batteries.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee
It's not forbidden to release CO2, and I don't think they have much paintball fans there either, people are too busy working.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo_Serf
This rediculous AWG religion simply must end. What a joke.
What's "AWG"?

Not all people are familiar with the acronyms, even if they may look familiar to you.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It's the acronym for Anthropogenic Global Warming, but he spelt it wrong just like he spelled ridiculous wrong.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

OK, thanks.

That's why I couldn't think of what that could mean.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

No prob. It becomes pretty easy to pick up after a short time. If the topic is about CO2, or anything "green" really, you can pretty much bank on a number of responses that will have:

a) bad spelling
b) absolutely predictable use of the words climate (or AGW) and religion in the same sentence
c) an important on topic reminder that Al Gore is fat
d) various politicized statements about how politicized everything other than the commenters totally unoriginal politicized opinion is...usually followed by a stark reminder that Al Gore is fat

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Ooops! Now if only you would apply the same kind of scrutiny to the pseudo science of *AGW* that you do to this random posters admittedly half baked post.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo_Serf

I'm doing graduate study in climate science, but you're probably right - I should just watch more FOX News so I can be as super scrutinizing and critical thinking as all the other internet AGW experts around here

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Always thought it was funny when people talk about going green... Like it would make a difference when all of the major polluters are still around. What do they think using paper instead of plastic is gonna do? Thats just like telling people not to pee in the pool while you dump feces in it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Its a shame such an intelligent fellow like yourself has hitched his intellectual wagon to a dying pseudo scientific scam like AGW. The gaping holes in the 'theory' are legion and are blatantly and strikingly obvious to even a curious layman such as myself.

After the repeated (and admitted) lies, coverups, incorrect predictions and incompetent bungling of data by the perveyors of this increasingly silly 'science', surely, a person such as yourself, who is clearly brilliant...surely you must be starting to feel that there might be something totally *wrong* with the whole theory, at its very core?

Could this insecurity in reasoning perhaps cause you to lash out at those who might dare question the premises upon which you have set your lifes path upon? Does labeling (and thus negating) myself and others as ignorant, toothless reactionaries perhaps help you manage your anxiety over what you might know at some level to be true - that maybe this whole thing is nothing more than a monsterous scam?

I may not have the technical knowledge requires to judge the data as a scientist like youself, (and I have only the deepest respect for science, which is why I find AGW to be dubious) but I am able to read and I am capable of spotting contradictions, and know when im being lied to. AGW theory, and the cast of characters who hold it up as indisputable, has lost all its credibility in my untrained eyes, just as it has increasingly with the public at large. (even the masses get at some level when theyre being taken for a ride) The theory is dead man, we all get this, and its zombie husk will become more visible to people the more shrill the cries in its defense become.

But hey, your life, your career, your seat on the Titanic.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared
reply to post by Neo_Serf

I'm doing graduate study in climate science, but you're probably right - I should just watch more FOX News so I can be as super scrutinizing and critical thinking as all the other internet AGW experts around here

Don't you mean you are accepting the AGW indoctrination?... Because it's not like every one of your posts is exactly the same thing, to claim that everyone who scrutinizes your religion, I mean your claims, is an oil kook, with oil interests and you don't want to hear, or read in this case, anything else...

Talk about an unbiased source...

BTW, who is your professor Jones? or maybe Mann?...

edit on 9-5-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

to claim that everyone who scrutinizes your religion, I mean your claims, is an oil kook, with oil interests and you don't want to hear, or read in this case, anything else...

Yeah that's exactly how it plays out in your head isn't it? I haven't claimed it - I've shown it. Repeatedly. The proof is all in my posting history. Yet you continue to ignore all that evidence and just make up your own deluded narrative. You are the most absurdly hypocritical poster I think I've ever seen on the entire internet.

You bounce around from thread to thread unprovokingly attacking anyone who challenges your flimsy convictions, with all the grace of some bible-thumping creationist at a natural history museum I might add, and then with no sense of irony you always go into the exact same predictable chant about "arrf arrf arrf AGW arrf arrf indoctrination arrf arrf arrf religion" like it's your rosary or something.

Meanwhile anyone who investigates the real story on climate science, i.e. outside of the denier bubble you like to live in, can see that the so-called AGW "religion" has 150 years of credible, fundamental, and most of all falsifiable science behind it.

It has been repeatedly scrutinized over that 150 years, probably more so than any other branch of science - and the case for not only the reality, but the serious gravity of the situation has only gotten stronger and stronger.

Through that time no one has been able to even come close to falsifying it, yet you continue to rehash all these cherry-picked, dishonest denier memes to try and convince everyone that they have. Really all I see you ever doing is trying to convince yourself, so you can squash all that cognitive dissonance ringing in your ears from the uncomfortable truth, and thus feel better about your own devout insecurities..."ooops I mean claims".

And even though these claims get repeatedly DEBUNKED on here - often by you contradicting yourself in your own posts - you then have absolutely nothing to say in response other than the same token blurb about how everyone else supposedly ignores the evidence they don't want to hear.

It's called projection bias. It is so ridiculously transparent and predictable with you it's not even funny.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join