It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Being Heavily Watched

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I am using Ghostery for a while now, and last couple of months its average 5-8 findings on ATS Homepage. However since (I guess) recent events (Obama BC, OBL Death, etc) it went up rapidly, jumping up to total 13 (highest I seen);
here is the brief list, for more info, i recommand dl-ing Ghostery, it is free and ez to use, passive program:
*will try to update the list from time to time

1)Comscore Beacon
2)Doubleclick
3)Google Adsense
4)Google Analytics
5)Fox Audience Network
6)Gorilla Nation
7)Quantcast
8)Tribal Fusion
9)ValueClick Mediaplex
10)GetSatisfaction
11)AdNexus
12)BlueKai
13)Chart Beat
14)Scorecardresearch (found by illuminatitanimulli)

what you guys think about this?
edit on 4-5-2011 by animalz because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/4/2011 by tothetenthpower because: ALL CAPS

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by animalz

By all this what do you mean?
The CIA FBI NSA MI6 is watching us?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
" I am using Ghostery for a while now, and last couple of months its average 5-8 findings on ATS Homepage. However since (I guess) recent events (Obama BC, OBL Death, etc) it went up rapidly, jumping up to total 13 (highest I seen);
here is the brief list, for more info, i recommand dl-ing Ghostery, it is free and ez to use, passive program: "

Can you please explain what all that means ?
Thanks

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A coarse they are..They are peeping Toms and pedofiles....they get off on this....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
You get a star just for not using the word "infiltrate" or "infiltration"

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
what upsets me is that a few things ats is linked to slow the site down...for example, when i reload new topics, i end up sitting for a minute while i wait for XYZ.com and the page to load. never happened till recently

total bs,

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
had a feeling. ats is a good place for "homegrown terrorists"...even though its just normal people.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by animalz

None of those are Government related, or at least not design to "watch"

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
for people who dont understand, feel free to download Ghostery from:
www.ghostery.com...

so what does it do? here is some basic info from the website:

DETECT

Ghostery sees the invisible web - tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons. Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.

LEARN

After showing you who's tracking you, Ghostery also gives you a chance to learn more about each company it identifies. How they describe themselves, a link to their privacy policies, and a sampling of pages where we've found them are just a click away.

CONTROL

Ghostery allows you to block scripts from companies that you don't trust, delete local shared objects, and even block images and iframes. Ghostery puts your web privacy back in your hands.

very useful little thingy

btw I didnt say it was CIA who was watching, but I firmly every serious organisation/company has an access to data from those analytics..

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
LOL Yup!
Thats why I visit ATS on a nearby, unlocked wifi signal rather than my own secure connection

link   

Originally posted by animalz
for people who dont understand, feel free to download Ghostery from:
www.ghostery.com...

so what does it do? here is some basic info from the website:

DETECT

Ghostery sees the invisible web - tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons. Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.

LEARN

After showing you who's tracking you, Ghostery also gives you a chance to learn more about each company it identifies. How they describe themselves, a link to their privacy policies, and a sampling of pages where we've found them are just a click away.

CONTROL

Ghostery allows you to block scripts from companies that you don't trust, delete local shared objects, and even block images and iframes. Ghostery puts your web privacy back in your hands.

very useful little thingy

btw I didnt say it was CIA who was watching, but I firmly every serious organisation/company has an access to data from those analytics..

I know you didn't say anything about CIA
, I thought you might just be one of those crazies.
Thanks for coming back and explaining it though, will check this thingy out.

link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think that you have uncovered one of the deepest plots ever. Looking into those names has yielded that most of them are advertising servers, a couple cookie sniffers to tailor ads for the viewer based on recent surfing history and that Quantcast...they actually take the trouble to rank websites from most visited to least visited. I wonder if perhaps the ads become more expensive if they are placed on higher visited sites based on their rankings?

Maybe, just maybe, that LLC in The Above Network, LLC means that this might perhaps be a business for the owners? And the ad revenue means server overhead doesn't come out of their pocket directly. And given that around 2 million people visit this site everyday, the bandwidth costs alone per month would be more than what the rent on my apartment is.

Just my wild speculation here.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4-5-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I found one blocked called 'scorecardresearch' also.
Most of these are scripts for collecting data for advertisement purposes although it is a known fact that there is some kind of clandestine research going on online. Are these part of it? Hard to say.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by prolific

You're Welcome bro

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

There may be an even bigger conspiracy!

Ghostery was acquired by Better Advertising... uh oh

No DPI, disussion: Ghostery

You can run, but you can't hide

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by animalz

Well, ATS may be heavily watched, but I suspect your AVATAR is being heavily watched, too.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

That's funny because if your data connection and IP were traced it would lead whoever was looking for you to your next door neighbor.
People who show up in black unmarked SUV's would say: "Joe Schmoe we're here to ask you some questions"

The Neighbor would say: "Uh no that's not me, but he lives right next to me"

This is sooo much more covert than a Proxy Server, NOT!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Advertising supports the Internet. It used to be pr0n. Still doesn't give them the right to ad spyware so maliciously that computers are destroyed. Could the spyware actually be used to spy, and not just try to sell you something, sure, but rather it'd be a bigger scheme.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Thing is, mainly, purpouse of those websites is to provide various data to big companies.
But when visiting the website, you become a part of that data too.
So.. in future, if we meet some law or regulation, like for example mentioned here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Guess who's door they gonna knock on?

(btw im not sure if there is a limitation on what these websites can get from info.. honestly I doubt it, most people dont have any idea that there are invisible trackers interested in their activity)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

‘Spontaneous’ Ads Never Appear by Chance

Companies Peek to Know what Internetter is Looking for

By Renske Baars

AMSTERDAM – It happens more and more. Companies peeking sneakily over the shoulder of the internet user. That way they get valuable information about the shopping behaviour and profile of the visitors. Ghostery.com turns the tables. With their application every internetter can see exactly who’s doing the peeping.

When you search via google.nl about, say, a tummy tuck you suddenly get some attention from other advertisers. An ad about ‘A flat stomach in twelve weeks’ appears on many a site that you visit afterwards. Or when on Facebook, you detect offers for cosmetic clinics and fat burning pills.

A coincidence? Certainly not. Peeking along with internet users is a smart marketing technique, say the creators of Ghostery.com. That’s why they have started an offensive to counter this online marketing. They want ‘all piggy backers’ to be shown clearly on the sites and created an application for that purpose, that can be downloaded on their website. Abram Wagenaar of PC Magazine from Haarlem explains the mechanism: “Invisible images from other companies are put on many websites, sometimes no larger than one pixel. They also get the IP address of the visitor without you being aware of that yourself.”

Wagenaar: “It’s a bit like the Bonus Card from Albert Heijn. All your purchaces are being registered and all that information creates a profile of the customer. That profile, a family with two little children or - for instance - a single male with a preference for sushi, is being targeted with ads. It works the same way on the internet.”

Roy Samsom, internet security expert with Cap Gemini, thinks that internet companies are earning loads of money with internet espionage. “Many companies want to know exactly where a consumer is looking for. Since they pay dearly for it.” Blocking The visitor is not aware of such practices. Many of them not even notice that the hundreds of ads that pass then by are specially designed for them. ICT expert Samson recommends downloading a program like Ghostery. “They turn the tables. Internet users can now see who is watching them. It allows them to block these companies. Because it also affects your privacy.”

news.ghostery.com...

Hmm, so we have the script struggle. Busted, revised, busted, revised, ad infinitum.

<<   2 >>

join