It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

www.thinkatheist.com

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption. But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Come on people... if you take your children to see "Bill Nye the Science Guy" You cannot assume that something he says will not conflict with your primitive superstitions...

This would be like going to chippendales performance and being offended because you saw naked men....

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?????

Though I have to admit, I'm not sure why he had to bring up religion...

www.thinkatheist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You have to be really washed up inside your head to believe that the moon gives out any light itself... But I guess those religious fanatics also think that when we can see Venus and Mars that those are giving out light themselves as well?

Pathetic...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Do they have a video of the booing? I can't seem to find one.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is just so strange.... Why would stating that the moon reflects the sun be an insult to the religious?
Do they think the moon is a light source? Very confusing.

I can't figure why Nye brought the bible into it either. Very strange... Is there more to this story?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I imagine that if God created it, they would think he created another light source, not a ball of rock that reflects it.

200 years from now when we are careening through outspace, there will still be those in Texas refuting anything anyone has to say from a science stand point.

Misguided.yes. But it takes all types.
World would be boring without Texans.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Eventually Bill Nye the science guy will see the truth.
Global warming comes from the sun and geothermal energy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blaming all global warming on human behavior is truly - bizarre - and corrupt.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
How embarassing to be Texan right now. I grew up watching this guy and I def. would not be booing him over

actual facts. Unfortunately, here in Texas we have some pretty ignorant and stubborn "bible beaters". That's not a

shot at religious people at all, it's rather an observation of fanatic baptist hard heads who cannot accept anything

does not jive with them.

/rant...

Hopefully Bill Nye will come back and continue speaking here in Texas.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Having never been on the moon I can only go on what some governments and scientists are telling me...

They lie a lot, or hide stuff so I guess anybodies guess is right. Either way these religious folks shouldn't get upset about this stuff even if true, who care, really.

This had me laughing.. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" what a freaks.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think it is funny that people still follow the Bible word for word. If they actually knew how many times it has been re-written to follow with that era's thinking, over and over, and how many chapters and "book of's" have been left out I doubt they would let the actual written words run their life.

Live the message people, not the words.
edit on 29-4-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I find it ironic that in Waco they booed Bill Nye and burned to a crisp David Koresh and a bunch of his Branch Davidian followers. Perhaps "ironic" is the wrong word. Psychotic might be more appropriate.

www.time.com...

Castlemadeofsand
How embarassing to be Texan right now.

I As a native Texan from Lubbock can saftely say that Bill would have been burned at the stake if he had of uttered such blasphemy in Lubbock...

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.
edit on 29-4-2011 by whaaa because: viva la pepa

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Eventually Bill Nye the science guy will see the truth.
Global warming comes from the sun and geothermal energy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blaming all global warming on human behavior is truly - bizarre - and corrupt.

Maybe that's why these Texans boo'd him: Maybe they think that global warming comes from both the sun and the moon....

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I think it is funny that people still follow the Bible word for word.

Well, I'll be damned!

Genesis 1:16. Bible on the Web

And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night:

Oops! God made a mistake, it appears. Sorry, Texas.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Actually the moon does give off a trace amount of it's own light. But that's not to say that it doesn't also reflect light from the sun.

Even our own bodies give off a minute amount of light.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Why would stating that the moon reflects the sun be an insult to the religious?

I would imagine that it wasn't stating that the moon reflects the sun that some found insulting. Rather the audience probably didn't care too much for the Science Guy's attempt to undercut their faith. I bet that a lot of the reaction may stem from the way that the said what he said more than anything else.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If you live in a cave and the only light you see is what is reflected from a point on a wall is it really wrong to refer to that reflection as a source of light?

Sounds to me like either everybody there is an idiot, including Nye unless context provides a better excuse for bringing up religion in his lecture, or everyone just wants something to offend them are went out of their way to bring up something that simply does not matter.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Bill Nye knew what he was doing when he decided to talk negatively about the bible. He is a very intelligent man and everybody knows that talking negatively about religion results in people becoming upset and angry.

I wonder if Bill Nye would do the same with the Koran in a Muslim town. After all, he probably knows he wouldn't just get boo'd.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Please don't make this into a Texas bashing thread, members. There's 25 million people in this state, and less than half are in rural areas where bible thumping is the norm. I'm in the DFW metroplex. There's over 7 million here, and few would boo Bill Nye for being anything other than....Bill Nye

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
How embarassing to be Texan right now. I grew up watching this guy and I def. would not be booing him over

actual facts. Unfortunately, here in Texas we have some pretty ignorant and stubborn "bible beaters". That's not a

shot at religious people at all, it's rather an observation of fanatic baptist hard heads who cannot accept anything

does not jive with them.

/rant...

Hopefully Bill Nye will come back and continue speaking here in Texas.

Agreed.

He should go to Austin..as they are some of the more "liberal" parts of Texas.

Don't fret.. all texans.. are not like this.. infact.. the atheist experience show is filmed in texas.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oops! God made a mistake, it appears. Sorry, Texas.

Nah. The Hebrew word carries the idea of a "brightness", luminary, luminous body, or light abstractly.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join