It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

No, but he has said he is looking for financial aid from the government to go to university. For that he will indeed need to register for the draft. Like others have said, the possibility of a new draft anytime soon is near nil.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
im pretty sure 5'9 and 135 doesnt make you the "perfect" candidate. quit worrying and fill out the paperwork

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the correlation between financial aid to go to uni and having to sign a letter such as this.

From what I know, the Legislative and the Executive powers of your government are meant to be kept separate - this seems to me to be an intertwining of both branches that goes against the spirit of your Constitution.

You can't just get a student loan from the government? Like most other countries?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SerenityGained
You can't just get a student loan from the government? Like most other countries?

Only after you pledge your flesh and blood to some pointless war will you be rewarded with a loan you'll need 30 years to pay back.

This is a bank owned country after all.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I remember having to go to the post office to fill out the selective service form when I was 18. Almost 20 years ago. Wasn't really worried about it at the time. Wasn't too worried about anything, though, as I self medicated my way through high school. If I had to do it all over again now I would sure think twice. With everything going on in the world and the possibility of ending up in some hell hole with depleted uranium ammunition and getting fragged by an IED or caught up in "friendly fire". I would sure think twice, but I would fill it out anyway. What can you do? Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SerenityGained

The reason they send you a letter is to give you a reminder that it is the law. When you turn 18, you must register. It is the law. It's one of those things that should be cancelled after being enacted for a certain event but never comes off the books, The letter is just to remind you that as a citizen, you are legally obligated to register. If you don't like it, you can always move to another country or pull a Bradley Manning!
edit on 28-4-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I was in British Army at 16 ..war zones 18 it has pros and cons.Think if you feel strongly about not doing it dont.Im in mid 30s and would not want to go now!!Your trained to kill or help a killing machine run(navy air force) and i dont think we or nato will have draft.Tech is the way forward replacing uneeded boots on ground,but not doing away with trained infantry that are needed,and support arms.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
i remember when i turned 18 and was in highschool i didnt want to register at all, but i did as soon as i turned 18.

i had friends that refused and they were threatened with 100,000 fines and jailtime.

just do it and be proud, because everyone has signed up.
the chance of them brining on a draft is highly unlikely.
the only reason i could see them bringing a draft back is if ww3 started or the US soil got invaded.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
How about you just stand up and be a man and sign it.

If not, you'll be ducking out of life's 'hassles' forever.

I mean come on - You want the benefits without paying your dues? What a cop out.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Grow up.

(/drill Sargent lecture)

peace

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Wow! Just wow!

I had no idea this happened. Land of the Free lol.

And you guys think the UK is a police state?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm 17 and turning 18 in a week. Yesterday in the mail, i got a friendly letter in the mail from the Selective Service saying "it's time to register". I'm trying to decide what to do. I need to register to get Financial Aid (which we were counting on), as well as have any hope for a stable government job in the future.

Nobody ever said that change was easy or without consequences. If you play along with this system, you will be a big part of the problem.

Having said that, it's important to remember that change *is* coming. The banksters, military, corporatists and politicians have fouled their own nest and destroyed our system. It's all over but the shouting. Forget about a "stable" government job.

Have you looked into the Peace Corps? They can help you do something constructive with your life.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dirtycrickrat

I turned 18 in 1970 when they were still drafting people and sending them to Vietnam. I registered and took my chances. My lottery number was over 300 so I never went. I gave them one more chance at me when I applied for Navy OCS while in college. They turned me down and I'm still not sure whether that was a good thing or not.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
i was under the impression that in the free world you could choose wether or not you want to contribute in the never ending self paid war the us has lingering over its people ,

but in all sincierity instead of playing with guns , do something your "country" can benefit from , join the civil service or become a fire fighter or a teacher , there must be tons of things that is broken that needs fixing withinn you own boarders

there´s enough of kids out there playing rambo and eating up tax money ( yours and theirs) as it is , not to mention the legality or the nessesity of it ,

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I don't think you have a choice to be honest. I received quite the threatening letter after I failed to sign once turning 18. I then signed up, which I failed to do in the first place because I honestly never got the letter. I can't remember exactly as it was awhile ago, but I'm sure there was some sort of legal threat made in the letter.

Sad really... if another nation openly declared war on the US or invaded my country I would fight to the death in a second. But not for the crap they are doing these days, the land of the (un)free where you are forced against your will into fighting a war to increase the power and wealth of an elite few who's goal is you keep you in poverty and extract every ounce of blood and sweat they can from you for the cheapest price possible.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Relax and sign it, then forget about it. There won't be a draft. You won't be cannon fodder for TPTB. We kinda enjoy the all volunteer service anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
What should you do? Register. Pretty simple.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
There will be a draft at some point, empires don't fall without a fight...

And the elite wants to go into Iran... which they will need a draft to do.

So I would not sign up this enslavement contract...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
Just write "under duress" next to your signed name. You are being forced to sign it.

Absolutely. A forced contract is not binding. Then again, since the inmates are running the asylum, I don't think it really matters any longer.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I had to register when I turned 18, that was over 30 years ago and I have never had to worry about a draft. Now they wouldn't take me if I volunteered! Citizenship carries responsibilities as well as rights and privileges. Fill out the form and send it in, then enjoy the privileges doing so earns you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join