It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You are the 100,000,000 visitor - winnner winnner winner...." advert on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have to raise this because ATS don't reply to my emails.

Why do they allow such a ripoff advert on this site? Who in their right mind actually think they are the 1,000,000 visitor twice a day five days a week?

It's a scam and ATS should not be promoting it.

Anyone else feel like this? Lets se what ATS users think of ATS and their using this ripoff advert, let alone the insult to intelligence of it's use and wording..
edit on 27-4-2011 by daggyz because: spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
shucks...i was 99,999.999.....

bro its the internet...get over it...peace

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Someone could say the same thing to you. You just told someone on the internet to get over something.

That said, I think the occasional shady ad is just going to make it into the rotation, and the site can't really be expected to prevent that or act on every one of them. Ads like that have been around for so very long that anyone still fooled by them probably needs to learn a hard lesson anyhow.
edit on 27-4-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button likes my hair this way

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

ATS doesn't choose the advertisments, their ad agent does.. They just offer the space to whoever is willing to pay for it. Usually it is a bit more intelligent and scans your browser to determine what ads it should show to you, based in your interests.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

its not ats' fault because ats only serves ads from a advertising company that it is affiliated with, basically ats has no control over the ads it serves on the website, but then ats should complain to the ad company about what you said and those annonying auto play flash ads.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I’ve tested it and this works... Think of something you like or wouldn’t mind seeing as an add, eg I like to see good graphics and clean adds, this is what I did to get the adds I don’t mind looking at. I went to sims 3 official website and I clicked an add that said buy now, it took me to the electronic arts website, they are the people who make the game. I was then getting cool adds for pc games.

At the moment I’m getting Australian banks and supermarket adds, because I looked at my bank to see if I had the money to pay for my groceries to be delivered lol.

If you like movies or going to the picture theatre try looking up where the local cinemas are. Or go to a movie website. Try also clicking buy now. But just don’t actually buy anything, that way you will get to see adds for dvd websites.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

True but I'm not getting paid for it!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Ok Thanks. I didn't realise ATS don't choose their own ads.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You just don't expect ATS to be involved in scams.

These games cull phone numbers and you can't stop these firms from sending them and using up your credit. I had this out with one company and my son. It took weeks and lots on money to stop them deducting anymore.

Its a scam and ATS should not be involved in it, it's makes them look bad.
edit on 27-4-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Oh jeez, you obviously don't know how advertising works on the internet do you.

ATS will be a member of an advertising network, like Google Ads. They don't get to pick what adverts are shown, the advertising company places them on the site. Usually on Ad revenue websites you don't get to filter out adverts. Normally you get the choice to not show Adult and Gambling adverts and thats about it.

To be honest those adverts are older than dinosaurs and I don't think anyone falls for them anymore. So please stop getting your panties in a twist, this isn't ATS's fault.

More importantly why don't you run an ad-blocker?

EDIT: Sorry didn't realise others had already explained the situation.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Noviz

Actually the reason I put this up was I don't know how advertising works on the internet! Good guess.

There are no sites I visit except this one that have ads that are scams attached to them.

I wouldn't expect ATS to be part of scam advertising is my point..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I suppose I should be flattered that it keeps flashing up university adds and test your IQ ones for me. Unless I'm too stupid to realise its all about my lack of punctuation and spelling mistakes and the kind people that run ATS are giving me a last chance to get an education.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
In the UK anyway. Internet advertising now comes under the Advertising Standards Authority, just the same as TV and print ads

"The principle that ads have to be legal, decent, honest and truthful is now going to extend to companies claims on their own websites," Matt Wilson, of the ASA told the BBC.

link

and eventually can be reported to the office of fair trading and taken to court
Advertising standards

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
It's a scam and ATS should not be promoting it.

It's all about the money, honey!!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I have won that like 30 times. I really love it when it is 2AM and for some dumb reason i have the speakers turned up to 10 on the dial. I always just get such a great laff out of that. I love it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Well it's obviously a hoax cause I've been the lucky millionth winner multiple times..

At the very least ATS should put a hoax tag on it..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
If you see a "you are the 1,000,000th visitor" ad on ATS, it has to be fake. ATS has more than 11 million posts!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

i am a gamer and im going to say the same thing to you as people say when people complain about certain sites that "Farm Gold". Why are you bothering to mention it to us your advertising yourself! and then they complain about it more and we say just tell a gamemaster or in this case an Admin and tell them about it it may be a background code from someone who wants to scam you and posted on here *Idk much about comps throwing out ideas tho* but realy dont advertise for them. *Eg. i play rift im on rift "I hate World of warcraft!" its advertising still and someone whos a fanboy of both may defend wow and i may loose a good player to it cuz i advertised lol just and example*

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
If you see a "you are the 1,000,000th visitor" ad on ATS, it has to be fake. ATS has more than 11 million posts!

Touche'

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Man you need to start clicking that $H|T I banked over 3 million before I got enough posts to have ads blocked.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join