It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows coders write buggy code - ON PURPOSE.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by 547000

What are you talking about? spending hours getting software to work? your just spewing crap that isn't true, im running a fully customized version of Gentoo, it took me a total of 2 hours to install, set up a GUI, and install commonly used softwaren, and I used the Gentoo documents as a guide, not a single problem was had.

My experience was different. I installed ArchLinux, then spent many, many hours just to get wmii to work the way I wanted to because the documentation was abysmal. Also the wiki I searched was out of date and I had to play around, creating an unobvious symlink to install a few drivers. Much of my experience was like that, undocumented gotchas where you have to guess the way to get it to work.

I also tried to install Gentoo once, and the installer did not work.
edit on 23-4-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

well if you look on the site they have a install guide that is ALWAYS kept up to date..it's easy to follow and Arch Linux is fairly simply to set up, I was using that before I made the switch to gentoo.

Install Guide

Well im gonna tell you this 10 times out of 10 its a problem between keyboard and user...
edit on 23-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by 547000

What are you talking about? spending hours getting software to work? your just spewing crap that isn't true, im running a fully customized version of Gentoo, it took me a total of 2 hours to install, set up a GUI, and install commonly used softwaren, and I used the Gentoo documents as a guide, not a single problem was had.

My experience was different. I installed ArchLinux, then spent many, many hours just to get wmii to work the way I wanted to because the documentation was abysmal. Also the wiki I searched was out of date and I had to play around, creating an unobvious symlink to install a few drivers. Much of my experience was like that, undocumented gotchas where you have to guess the way to get it to work.

edit on 23-4-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

Why am i not surprised?
So you had a bad experience with Arch (which is not for "newbs" anyway)
and you "tried gentoo once" (also not the most "newb" friendly).

and you feel you can say that "Linux" (all of Linux, no less), is no good? lol

Well that seems like more than enough to give a proper assessment!

and you had the balls to talk about "experience" to me?
lol, Come on man, Please.

again, no surprise.

Well im gonna tell you this 10 times out of 10 its a problem between keyboard and user...

True story.

edit on 23-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by coder22

How could you guarantee that buggy code is created at the source???

Create the most popular compilers and be sure that THEY contain even buggy code.

OMG there are issues that have followed many MSVC iterations going completely unrepaired for a decades.

Post those minutes! ... but anyone that has worked with ANY MS compilers from Pascal 1.0 ( or even through any one of the many products that MS acquired and rebranded ) knows there are recurring bugs and can identify the compiler used just by testing what ever the programmer has written. Heh, including any OS components.

It'll be nice to see some proof. But it will NOT be any surprise. So good that the masses haven't found Unix.(?)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
That's what Linux is for. Windows is for people that don't know how to use computers.

And Linux is for arrogant twats who think they are better than others?

I use Linux as a file server in my house because it is free and very low maintenance. I would never use it for a daily PC.. it's just not any comparison on that front.

Good servers, though.

Windows is for people that are too lazy to learn (or any level that is to tired to keyboard.)
Linux is for windows graduates that wannabee.
Apple is for freakin snobs that *think* they are smart and wannabe.
Unix & Windows & Netware running under VMWare is for professionals.
File Servers running Netware or Debian is also for professionals.
Anything blade server and above is from enterprise.

Too many wannabees with irrelevant flexing.
THAT is why I hated the computer industry before I joined and that's ALSO why I left.
Think anonymous... I'm not a member but following their lead is an honorable path.

Learning proficiency in all OS'es and the hardware they operate most efficiently on ... no matter how petty/lowly they seem, is yet another feather in the head dress of technological mastery.

Sexy Hot Chicks aren't impressed with a floppy drive or how hot a mother-board.

edit on 4·23·11 by DrMattMaddix because: =)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

anon are composed of nothing but script kiddies nowadays, they don't do anything honorable anymore..its shameful really, they went from hacking banking systems and protesting, to trolling 14 year old kids on youtube.

and as much as I hate to argue this. Windows sometimes has to be used (even if ran under vmware) because certain programs and injectors only work with windows, other than that there's nothing Linux can't do that Windows can.

and no one better argue Linux has no games because I just finished Portal 2 on gentoo.
edit on 23-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
This reason ( The original post) is why I do not ever use windows update. I go through all my processes and services when I get a new operating system and shut down all except that I need for the system to run. i do not allow any new process or service to be run. This takes a long while to set up. Before I go online I use a sandbox that's known to have no security holes to protect any process that I allow to access the web. (Sandboxie)

My PC runs very fast and secure and I am confident that nothing is getting accessed that I don't know about and allow.

Unless something is broken and no longer works, there is Never a reason to use windows update or to update any software simply because someone tells you to. Only update if you KNOW if will fix a problem that you must have.

I have used operating systems this way for years with never having any update and nothing has ever failed to work properly.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Not trying to scare you, but I read up on a leak ( may be fixed, it was weeks ago) that could potentially allow access to your actual computer files even while using sandboxie. No worries though, you should be safe, and I hope this isnt the only thing your using?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Nope it's not but I trust that more them most other tools. Sandboxie has only had a couple of security issues in many years. They fixed em asap. It's so good at how it works they just don't have issues like other software. You hear of security fixes all the time for most popular apps. Not Sandboxie.

I monitor in real time everything that goes on incoming and outgoing. I use RollBack RX for daily backups that reside on a layer of space under windows. It's protected in this manner so nothing on your hard drive can touch it. ( plus I also sandbox IT just in case)

If I were to get hit with a nasty virus and say it wipes half my C drive,even any MS system files, I can use Rollback RX to restore my whole PC back to the time a few hours ago in less than 5 minutes. I could do this if my C drive was so badly damaged windows wouldn't even load.

Windows system restore you cannot trust because it's stored on the C drive which could get wiped out so I don't use it. Rollback RX gets installed on the drive in a special layer that is under your C drive. Only thing that can harm it is if the master boot record gets wiped out and I protect my system so well I don't let that happen. Or the hard drive just dies cus its time for it to go.

edit on 23-4-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: edit

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Yea you went the safe route. I've used Rollback before, it's nice, but im not one for paid software.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

I have used this combo for a couple of years and have had no problems even when I go places on the net that's bad for my computer - and I do that often.

er.. I don't like paid software either. I try to stick to open source. Many times I use my Linux flavor (PCLinuxOS) as its very secure too.

But the point being.. do I trust Microsoft? Hell No. I have used their OS's since 1994 and i know they pull a Lot of shady crap.

edit on 23-4-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: edit

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Here is one tip for you, have two PCs, one is connected to the internet and one is not, do private work on the computer is not connected on the internet.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeBoss
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Here is one tip for you, have two PCs, one is connected to the internet and one is not, do private work on the computer is not connected on the internet.

That's pretty neat advice. Basic common sense advice that I'm sure no-one thinks about. The only problem is, is that when transferring work from non connected PC - you will need to use possibly USB or burn a CD - These two points could be a point of corruption to your nice non-connected PC.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I dual boot Ubuntu 10.11 with Windows 7. It is obvious Linux has some serious advantages over both Windows 7 and OSX, mostly related to cost, stability and security. However, to me at least, the reasons for using Linux over Windows are practically non-existent. I got my copy of Windows 7 for free legally through MSDNAA, it has been rock solid since 2009 and I only had a security issue once when I was dumb enough to download a torrent without reading the comments section. The only parts of Linux that I really liked were the software download center (yum or whatever the Ubuntu equivalent is), amount of customization, multiple desktops (can put this on Windows), and the simplicity for basic tasks.

I've gone back to Windows. It's not that Linux was bad, it was that a large portion of my applications were not working properly, like most games, screen-capture software, video-editing software as well as photo-editing software. I suppose most of these problems are not due to Linux itself but because the market share is small enough that most software developers don't bother supporting it. Still, I'm not using an OS that doesn't support most of my applications. Installing drivers for my network printer made by a company called "brother" was extremely painful, basically I would have to trawl through obscure forums to get something that finally worked. Installing AMD video drivers was also fairly painful and when finally working they world introduce screen tearing (as if vysnc was OFF) unless I disabled the nice compiz effects on desktop, which looked excellent by the way.

I will be getting a cheap laptop soon, I would love to run Linux on it for the extra security when connecting to networks on the go. But current Linux drivers don't support the hardware at all (AMD E-350).

It's time for linux advocates (and if it weren't for the fanboys in this thread I would be one of them) to stop pretending that linux is perfect. Instead they need to capitalize on the strength to bring the market-share to the point where Linux is properly supported by hardware and software vendors. Until then, it is not going to be good enough for a lot of users.
edit on 23/4/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
my laptop is dual box, Windows XP SP3 and Linux Debian, Debian really rules, great OS and is not that hard to learn.

Now, i would like to see that minute, lol, really, i find that about a minute funny, since when a corporation doing something bad with all the intention of the world make a minute or register the meeting?

Exec1 says he is evil
Exec2 argue about that and said he was more evil
Exec3 said that he thought that 3 evil minds are better than 1, bla bla bla

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by coder22
Guys - I have a friend on the "inside" - he's a microsoft employee that claims there is a team of programmers that purposefully write vulnerable code (at the request of the guys at the top).

This malicious code is ****written in a way to look like it could be passed off as an "accidental bug"**** for plausible deniability!!! He is going to be passing me the minutes of one of their meetings to upload so I can whistle-blow.

I have been told that these software holes are frequently written and installed in updates etc etc - at the request of CIA. - And in fact, some of the programming team ***IS*** CIA.

The beauty really is, is that when they are discovered, they just look like, "oops!! I little bug - we'll fix that with a patch..." but the reality is, that when holes are being patched, new holes are being opened. Accidentally on purpose. It's all about plausible deniability. I mean seriously, a code myself, simply missing a closing ] etc in the right place can cause all sorts of problems. - And that's the kind of thing they're doing. Or writing "error checking" code that is actually malicious.

Hopefully I'll get these minutes in the next few days. People will be named and shamed.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't think these bugs are written to spy on your average Joe, these are bugs written for global spying. Governmental stuff.

Soundbite by me from later in thread :

...imagine having a backdoor in the worlds most popular operating system? And also, if discovered, it looks like a totally innocent bug that could have happened to anyone? What you have then, is a VERY powerful weapon.

edit on 22-4-2011 by coder22 because: (no reason given)

Whatever dude, buy a mac if you think windows sucks (mainstream solution for the masses), or even a better solution is to instal a Linux distro. Geesssssssscchhhhhh.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by notimportant

Guys - I have a friend on the "inside" - he's a microsoft employee that claims there is a team of programmers that purposefully write vulnerable code (at the request of the guys at the top).

This malicious code is ****written in a way to look like it could be passed off as an "accidental bug"**** for plausible deniability!!! He is going to be passing me the minutes of one of their meetings to upload so I can whistle-blow.

I have been told that these software holes are frequently written and installed in updates etc etc - at the request of CIA. - And in fact, some of the programming team ***IS*** CIA.

The beauty really is, is that when they are discovered, they just look like, "oops!! I little bug - we'll fix that with a patch..." but the reality is, that when holes are being patched, new holes are being opened. Accidentally on purpose. It's all about plausible deniability. I mean seriously, a code myself, simply missing a closing ] etc in the right place can cause all sorts of problems. - And that's the kind of thing they're doing. Or writing "error checking" code that is actually malicious.

Hopefully I'll get these minutes in the next few days. People will be named and shamed.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't think these bugs are written to spy on your average Joe, these are bugs written for global spying. Governmental stuff.

Soundbite by me from later in thread :

...imagine having a backdoor in the worlds most popular operating system? And also, if discovered, it looks like a totally innocent bug that could have happened to anyone? What you have then, is a VERY powerful weapon.

Whatever dude, buy a mac if you think windows sucks (mainstream solution for the masses), or even a better solution is to instal a Linux distro. Geesssssssscchhhhhh.

Where in my OP do I state that I use Windows? Not bother reading the thread no?? Geesssssssssssccchhhhhh.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

and no one better argue Linux has no games because I just finished Portal 2 on gentoo.

You're kidding yourself.

That's one game. Games using the source engine usually work on linux. What about the games that don't work? And how much time do I have to waste figuring out how to make the ones that do work, work. Which features will be broken when I try? Is the performance the same?

Let's run a quick search on all of my games.

Fallout New Vegas - works but not fully only with with newer versions of wine.
Mirrors Edge - launches but most of the story is broken.
Metro 2033 - works but you need to tweak registry to get mouse working
Bad Company 2 - works for some people, garbage for most others. can NOT play multiplayer
Black Ops - works 100%
Civilisation V - launches, runs, some users report broken sound and broken video settings.
The Hunter - doesn't work.
Far Cry 2 - hit and miss.
GTR 2 - works
Lock On Flaming Cliffs - doesn't work
Amnesia - works
Flight Simulator X - works
Dirt 2 - doesn't work
Portal 2 - works
Portal 1 - works

My programs:
Photoshop CS5 - works but only with workaround. uhm, when I needed it last year it didn't work at all.
O&O defrag - broken
Sony Vegas - works but only with workarounds
wx-devcpp - works
matlab - works

These programs were chosen for a reason and I'm not switching because I want to feel smart and smug for using an open source operating system for stability and security benefits that so far would of been non-existent (since I've had no issues with Windows 7). That would be ridiculous. Nor am I messing around with workarounds when I can go into boot menu and run the same program without any problems in Windows.

For practically all of these, bugs were listed or there were people who were having continuing issues. You can't complain Windows is buggy then tell them to switch to Linux to run the same programs because that introduces bugs and errors also and it makes running the programs a pain in the ass. Linux might be a better OS than Windows, but the app and driver support is pretty much crap. It's getting better though.

The "RTFM" approach is FUD.
I've not once encountered anyone telling me to "RTFM" when asking for help with Linux.
How irritating is it? Tell me..
Because I never have any problems getting software to work smoothly.

LOL!

You must not use many programs then. I just listed many of my programs... a large portion don't work. All information was from the WINE website and from random forums found via google. Add to that setting up network printers and AMD drivers. What do your computer illiterate friends do? check emails? watch movies? browse the Internet? Of course you're not going to have any issues with linux doing that. It's when you do more that you have issues.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

He is going to be passing me the minutes of one of their meetings to upload so I can whistle-blow.

Wont prove anything. Microsoft will deny.
Given some time, I could write up some minutes to any meeting you wish, as could a lot of people here. Especially if, as is common nowdays, they are typed up and there is no handwritten original that you have access to.

Minutes done by hand now a days? Please elaborate because I do minutes and I sure don't hand write them. That's wasted resources.
HOWEVER
I also know w/o audio back up, I can type anything I wish too.
Just food for thought people.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Apologies... was meant to be a bit toungue in cheek.

No apology needed... It seemed as if you were joking around

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join