It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOD DAMMIT !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sorry if this word offends you. Not trying to cause animosity between Christians and non believers, nor am I trying in anyway to raise an eyebrow to any higher ups here at ATS. I would just like to get to the bottom of what this word phrase actually means and why it offends Christians so much.The other day one of my co-workers had his finger slammed in a car door and screamed GODDAMMIT!!!.Another co-worker, who is a die hard fundie, heard this and was appalled that he used such vulgar language in his presence. Me being a Christian, I have no problem with this. The fundie went on and on how this person broke one of Gods commandments.But in all actuality, I believe he did not. See, I believe to use gods name in vain is to swear under oath and lie.All my fellow co-worker did was damm the door that hurt him. Is there any one who can put this silly matter in perspective. Thanks - Theo

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
pretty simple really, "God Damn you" exactly like it sounds. Same as God damn it.

That'd be my 2 cents

??

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

Taking God's name in vain, is like putting "In God We Trust" on our money. What a sham that is. To do something in the name of God that is destructive, reprehensible, things like that. Paying for a hooker with money that says "In God We Trust", that is profaning God's name, not God damn it. Christians just go crazy on this one.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't get it either. If the phrase were "Damn God" It would make more sense, but that doesn't sound like much of a swear phrase.
Maybe it's just the fact that you're taking his name in vain.
edit on 21-4-2011 by jonibelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I guess it's up to G-D to damn things, not us. As you are calling G-D to do your bidding, you are making him ,her, it, listen to yor feeble request and it annoys G-D to hear his name called all the time out of the blue. Then when he checks out what you want... it's some unneeded damning as usual. he likes the really important stuff like saving lives and listening to prayers, I guess.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
perhaps it is related to the story of JOB from the Old Testament, where the God of the Bible has a little bet with Satan over whether or not JOB will curse God or not. and then poor Job is put through all sorts of misery. yet he never curses God.

in other words (according to judeo/christian folklore), to say God Damn it... you are invoking God to Damn life. since God is life, you are in effect cursing God... the Devil wins.

PS... i'm Wiccan, so there's no sort of evangelizing in this theory. it's just a theory.

god(s) bless you...

edit on 21-4-2011 by mythos because: typo

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Never thought of it like that.......I guess that would piss off an Almighty allright.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

The whole thing is honestly silly since, for the most part, it's just an exclamation and no one is actually trying to invoke the damnation of God.

On a side note, it has nothing to do with misusing God's name either. God is a title, not a name. Same with lord/adonai and all the others.

His name is YHVH - arguably, but correctly in my opinion, pronouced Yahweh. Funny enough, another sense of the word translated 'vain' in the bible is false, and the fact that everyone covers up the actual name - which he instructs us to use and call upon (and is used about 6000 times in the OT), with 'lord' falls under falsehood as far as I'm concerned.

Go figure.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56

Taking God's name in vain, is like putting "In God We Trust" on our money. What a sham that is. To do something in the name of God that is destructive, reprehensible, things like that. Paying for a hooker with money that says "In God We Trust", that is profaning God's name, not God damn it. Christians just go crazy on this one.

Hey wait.... if we put our trust in God to maintain our monetary system and that system collapses does that mean that GOD is responsible for collapsing our economy?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
What I learned as a child is that the only time to use God's name is when you're talking about him. Not in anger or frustration. My parents would have considered "Goddammit" to be using his name in vain. Most definitely!

Some people are offended and I can understand it. However, I don't go out of my way to make sure that everyone around me is not offended by something I say. I have a very strong potty mouth but I don't generally talk like that in public because I know it does offend some people. But if I hurt myself? There's no telling or controlling what might come out of my mouth.
Someone would be offended, for sure.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Its simple really, IsmISTs are idiots.

If god is omnipotent and omnipresent as they claim he/she/it would know that it wasnt directed at him/her/it.

Tell ur friend he needs to wake up to himself and stop being a blind follower of IsmISM.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
To use the term in anger is swearing and on that level at least is sinful. I used to belong to a christian discussion board that I shall not name here that got their panties in a bunch over the initials OMG. If you posted a funny picture or cartoon with a caption that included OMG the moderators would issue a warning and delete the post.

BTW and FYI - The reason I am not mentioning the name of the board is that they don't deserve any publicity at all, even bad publicity. They turned out to be anything but christian in their attitudes and actions towards people they took a dislike to.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Actually taking God's name in vain according to the Hebrews is not using God's name for a slang or curse word, it's claiming to be His follower and acting contrary to His nature thus mis-representing Him to the world.

As Solomon says in Proverbs 30:9....

"Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

The act of stealing is taking the Lord's name in vain for a believer, as is sinning in front of the world. It has nothing to do with vocabulary.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikester

I guess it's up to G-D to damn things, not us. As you are calling G-D to do your bidding, you are making him ,her, it, listen to yor feeble request and it annoys G-D to hear his name called all the time out of the blue. Then when he checks out what you want... it's some unneeded damning as usual. he likes the really important stuff like saving lives and listening to prayers, I guess.

Op, it looks as if you have your answer

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Actually taking God's name in vain according to the Hebrews is not using God's name for a slang or curse word, it's claiming to be His follower and acting contrary to His nature thus mis-representing Him to the world.

As Solomon says in Proverbs 30:9....

"Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."

The act of stealing is taking the Lord's name in vain for a believer, as is sinning in front of the world. It has nothing to do with vocabulary.

Yes. Not too far off from what I was trying to say.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
well thank you everyone for your responses.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

It is very disrespectful,rude and crude.
I wish people would learn other words
to say other then cusswords.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I have never ONCE heard anyone say:
  • "Buddha dammit"
  • “Oh my Ganesh!”
  • "Zeus dammit"
  • "oh my Allah!"

Could it be that all of these other "God's" are immune from blasphemy because they are merely counterfeits?

Even atheists use God's name or say "Jesus Christ" when they get angry. When they are rational, they will say there is no god or that god is represented in some other form, but when they aren't thinking and something just comes out of their mouth, they prove that they know there is a God and that they know His name.

WHY is it that the the TPTB are only interested in abolishing the "REAL God"?

Because they KNOW who the true God actually is.

"The goal of the Illuminati is to destroy Christianity and Western civilization. Illuminati worship lucifer and teach that Jesus is a myth."

"The express aim of the Order was to abolish Christianity, and overturn all civil Government." ~ John Robison

Ever wonder WHY no one EVER brings up anything about Buddha or Mohammed being a myth?

Why is it that Atheist's ONLY attack the Biblical God? Has it ever occurred to anyone else that just MAYBE it is because He happens to be the REAL God?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Well, in all honesty, friend, if I were to slam my finger in a car door, I sure would not scream, "butterflies!" or "holy feathers!"
I do not swear constantly, but do swear sometimes, my sweet little wife cusses like a sailor at times, thought thankfully never at me.
One must remember that most Christians live in a little cult box that allows no fun, no swearing, no drinking, smoking, toking, or sex in any way unless married. When they look out at the world all they see is a bunch of sinners being commanded by demons commanded by Satan in his valiant effort to overthrow heaven. They all carry a book that has all of their truth in it, and know that anything you have read is secular, and not "inspired truth."

I would never swear at a Christian, out of plain respect, but I have to admit there are times I would like to.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Taking God's name in vain, is like putting "In God We Trust" on our money.

It's okay, their god is money....

...You cannot serve two masters, you will love one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money...

Most Christians today serve both God and Money and a big lie it is!

top topics

join