It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Final Warning to Tokyo

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm still wondering about May 11th, June 11th or July 11th. I'm basing my concerns on the recent history of New Zealand and Chile earthquakes. Yet those aftershocks didn't cause a lot of damage.

Even though, japanquakemap.com lists last Friday and Sunday as having shallow strong quakes, I didn't feel any shaking at all. (knock on wood) and haven't since the last time I reported one on Twitter.

I know a Japanese guy who is responsible for managing earthquake disasters in Japan. He seems to think that many buildings in Tokyo can withstand a strength of 8.

Taking history into account, there is an 85% chance that a Tokai Earthquake could happen between now and 30 years from now.

Because of this, the world governments have begged Kan to shut down those old reactors. It is preventive. I also know some of the highest level bureaucrats in Japan who are interested in building petroleum based power plants and not new nuclear ones.

There is worry about nuclear fallout still and more radioactive water is spilling into the sea. But levels are low. It is all the sea life and vegetables as well as river water around Fukushima that everyone is very concerned about. Babies and mothers are still drinking bottled water from western Japan.

But none of us in Tokyo are too worried about our air. Just when it rains are we concerned that umbrellas need to be used.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Remember that Shizuoka already had a 6 strength quake. I experienced that one directly I'm sure my condo could withstand another one.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ren1999 I also know some of the highest level bureaucrats in Japan who are interested in building petroleum based power plants and not new nuclear ones.

We still have a glut of oil and gas... and they can burn trash (something Japan is already doing) All I would want to see is SCRUBBERS on the chimney.

In Sudbury Ontario they used to pollute like crazy so there was no green life within 50 miles of the smelters. Same in Pittsburgh with the steel mills... both cities finally were forced to put scrubbers on.

The end result was rather than costing them money, the scrubbers produced pure sulfur scrubbed out of the smoke which they could sell and save mining.

Eco friendly CAN be profitable... just have to change the way of thinking.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Gotta love japan, they have the balls to stand up against the cowardly schemes that are going on right now. Thats probably why they are being attacked by HAARP...

www.youtube.com...)

edit on 9-5-2011 by BanMePlz because: added media

edit on 9-5-2011 by BanMePlz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Bad news. The next energy plant in Japan will probably be coal. Air pollution will go up.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
As a country, there would be no greater resource a country could possibly import than a group of highly educated, hard working, kind and evolved beings like the Japanese people. That is like hitting the Mega Mother Lode Lottery. Duh, that is a no brainer.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
TA... what's your take on this latest one, which is MUCH closer to Tokyo?

Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time Friday, May 20, 2011 at 00:46:16 UTC
Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:46:16 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.736°N, 140.981°E
Depth 26.2 km (16.3 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 82 km (50 miles) SSE of Mito, Honshu, Japan
111 km (68 miles) E of TOKYO, Japan
126 km (78 miles) ENE of Yokohama, Honshu, Japan
133 km (82 miles) SE of Utsunomiya, Honshu, Japan

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.4 km (8.3 miles); depth +/- 5.9 km (3.7 miles)
Parameters NST=385, Nph=385, Dmin=266.1 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003jg4

USGS - Source

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by UtahRosebud
TA... what's your take on this latest one, which is MUCH closer to Tokyo?

Well, certainly no slouch. Shows that there is still stress in the area, capable of producing big quakes. But it is not the one I STILL fear could happen on the SSZ. As time goes by though, the chances seem less and less, and for that I am very glad. I don't WANT ANY quake to happen near Tokyo. I just feel like it could because of the massive activity so close by the SSZ.

So far, so good. But beware, this area is still in the crosshairs. As I said before, if we can make it another few months without a massive one on the SSZ, I think it will be ok for some years.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

Ren,

I am also in Tokyo. Did you feel that one this morning, at about 9.45am? It was the most unpleasant I have felt in a while, that same `round and round`, dizzy feeling from it, if you know what I mean. It has been quiet here for a while, as far as the quakes go.

True American, some of us here in Tokyo have families, and getting out is not easy. Are we meant to leave our jobs which are in Tokyo, and leave? How? We dont have the money to leave for two months with no work to go to. We have children which need to be fed and housed and educated. We know, as do our children, that things are not normal here, that we are at risk from quakes and radiation, but pray tell me how on earth we are meant to pack up and leave and survive?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

mextrad.blob.core.windows.net...

This is a good resource for radiation levels in Tokyo air and water. Im not worried about the air either. The water appears to be alright, but Im not giving it to my family to drink, or using it to cook with. We also do not go out in the rain. Shopping takes a lot longer, making sure anything we buy is from areas with no or little fallout.

I totally agree, that in an effort to keep people calm, they are down playing the situation here.

They will never voluntarily evacuate Tokyo, too many people and too much money to do so. That is why they are not taking tainted produce off the shelves - money over people time and time again.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There were two noticeable quakes today after some time.

The first one was at 10a.m. I live in West Tokyo and Fuji is about as big as a coffee cup from my veranda windows. There was just one slow and smooth jolt. But then I felt a very smooth and steady slide for about 3 minutes.

The second one was about 4p.m. This time I was close to Meguro and Shinjuku. That was about 3 firm shakes back and forth and then it completely stopped. But before that and after that I felt slight ripples up my chair and a very low almost inaudible rumbling sound. This lasted for 6 hours and continues.

I'm very worried that the Japanese government said they were going to allow the collection of seaweed in the Fukushima area. Are they crazy? We need some firm protests by the entire world over this. It is a scientific fact that the area at least 30 kilometers from the nuclear plant is contaminated and will be for over 50 years.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

Uh oh...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

That just happened a while ago... Not good.

4.9 very close.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on Fri May 20th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

Hi Ren,

The 10-ish and the 4pm ish quakes were the most noticeable I have felt in a long time. Lets hope that it was just letting off some steam. Ive hung a line with a weight from the ceiling in my house, it is the first indication that things are moving for us, and settles the `am I going crazy, or is it moving` sensation you get sometimes recently.

No, I cant believe they are allowing the sale of Fukushima seaweed, its homicidal in my opinion. Seaweed will absorb radioactive iodine, and pass it on to humans. Its either all about the money, or they want us dead/sick. Im not sure which one is better. The fact they are making light of breast milk being contaminated does also not bode well. Do you trust packs are being labeled honestly- if we buy say nori, from Kyushuu, do you think it is indeed from there?

Stay safe!

True American, whilst it was unpleasant today, neither were window rattling quakes, nor were they very prolonged. `Bad days` had quake after quake, and all of them noise making big shakes. These were more noticeable than recently, but nothing that makes me think `run`.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
There have been several quakes all along that Chiba/Ibaraki line. The people I know who live in Chiba said that one wasn't very long or very strong.

Most of the quakes centered in a straight line between the ocean and Fukushima and Chiba.

Here are some things I think we need to start warning people about if it should happen.
if Fuji Mountain should start throwing up ash
if there are more quakes on the west side of Chiba or on the Philippine plate than just the few that have appeared

Here's something else to consider. What really causes the sudden shift of the plates?
Is it gravitational influence from the planets and the Moon?
Is it magma under the plates and the plates are just floating around?
Is it holes or rocks in the earth that cause the plates to suddenly lift and drop?

The funny thing is, there is not one Japanese seismologist around to talk about this with.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

Yesterday`s quakes were not long or strong, but I had got used to not being shaken around at all, so feeling any movement was a bit disconcerting.

I keep an eye on the Japan meteorological society pages. If Fuji-san gets excited, Ill post it on here right away.

As far as what causes it, I just thought it was the fault lines of the plates bumping into each other, what has set off this recent spate, I do not know. All the `experts` on the news in Japan just do not discuss it. The news here seems to be mostly consisting of `don`t worry, be calm and ganbatte`.

Take care, Ren.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

5.5 just now, epicentered onland in Chiba. Quite shakey here. No tsunami alert on tv.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
My ears are ringing. Great. I thought it had calmed down.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
TA, Zorgon and other EQ experts....

In the last 5 or 6 days, there have been an increased and regular number of quakes off the coast of Sanriku. Most being in the 4+ area and some even close to 6.

Some of them were right beside or almost on the major plate which then stems off to the left, at around the Tokyo Bay area. I know you know what I mean...

Now, could there be a possibility that the increasing tremors and quakes on the Northern part of the plate affect the lower part too?

The site below records all the quakes, even those not listed on USGS.

Please tell me what your opinion on this is...

Thanks

quake.twiple.jp...:1
edit on 24-5-2011 by Sarahko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Well to update the situation, you are now getting quakes pretty close to Tokyo as you know cause they are being felt:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And it is typical now for this sequence, and I've said it a few times, once the quakes jump the zone line (the right red circle) it seems the interior (left red circle) responds. The problem is those quakes on the right are now much more "inline" with Tokyo, and are further south than usual. It would have been great if all this had just stopped and not happened, but man, tellin ya, I'd hate to be in Tokyo about right now, and for more than just this reason. The nuclear situation continues to pose a threat, and another big quake could aggravate this situation beyond any control whatsoever.

And because of these recent quakes and their locations, I am most definitely concerned about what is coming next. Tokyo is now lined up vertically AND horizontally to the activity, and it just can't be good, no matter how you slice it.
edit on Tue May 24th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Earthquake prediction is barely a science, let alone an exact one. There is an 80 percent chance of a big one in Tokyo/Ibaraki happening over the next 30 years. The Tohoku-Kanto oki has set off aftershocks and probably put more stress on the kanto fragment, and the plates that pass through Tokyo.

Thing is noone can predict if these are foreshocks of something big, or aftershocks, or just ripples, let alone exactly when this event is going to happen. I am not stupid, I know there are risks, everybody here understands there are risks.

Try not to sounds as if you relish the prospect of the place where I and a lot of other people live, being reduced to rubble, eh.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join