It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeds...More Valuable Than Gold? The Real Survivalist Currency.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Seeds...yup, Carrots, Broccoli, beans etc. Now THIS is an investment if you are of the mind that we are in a SHTF scenario.

Gold? Good! Silver? Oh Yeah! But...kinda hard to digest and doesn't taste near as good as a salad. Not to mention being very low on nutrients.

So why seeds? The answer should be very apparent. Survival!

Most of us on these boards know of the Monsanto World Food Domination Plan. If not, research is only a google away and there are a lot of threads
here on ATS to search out. In short, Monsansanto wants to control everything you eat to the point of engineering suicide genes in our food crops in order to force us to purchase seed from them. These seeds do not replicate. They will not grow again. One crop...that's it!

So where am I going with this? Simple. Buy your seeds now. Enough to feed your family for a year and learn how to harvest dry and store for the next year in order to ensure yourself a constant supply of fresh goodness when the SHTF.

There are numerous sites right now that are realizing this and selling survival seed packs with organic Non-GMO seeds but this will not last for long.

Think about this. How valuable is a silver coin when it can't buy enough seeds for a garden to feed your family? A handful of seeds that will produce hundreds of pounds of food will outweigh any coin in your pocket. And people will know this!

Seeds will become currency in time and it is wise to start your savings now. In fact, it's really not that expensive. Here's just one company (There are many) offering a 2 acre seed store for $99. 2 acres is a lot of food!

www.non-hybrid-seeds.com...

Seeds have been bartered in human history longer than Gold or Silver. Fact.

So here is my suggestion. Buy store-able Non-GMO seeds now because soon you might not and I really mean WILL not be able to purchase seeds for survival. Store these seeds alongside your water, canned goods etc. In my mind, these seeds are a priority for any survival scenario.

A lot of survival threads talk about hunting, fishing, dried goods, water etc, but I say seeds should be right there along with these things.

Countries are already doing this but I am not talking about these huge Seed Vaults that neither you or I will have access to when we need it. I am suggesting that people start their own mini seed vaults for food and no less importantly, currency in the times ahead.

One more note on this that I have never seen printed anywhere. Your garden is bait! How many times have you found that rabbits or deer have munched at your garden. Makes you angry right? Not this time!

My ideal garden will have all my veggies as well as a bowl of water for the creatures. And I'll watch them munch away at the edges of the garden from my kitchen window, coffee in hand and a crossbow on my lap.

Thanks for reading.

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault (Norwegian: Svalbard globale frøhvelv) is a secure seedbank located on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen near the town of Longyearbyen in the remote Arctic Svalbard archipelago, about 1,300 kilometres (810 mi) from the North Pole.[1] The facility preserves a wide variety of plant seeds in an underground cavern.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-4-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
S+F Great post!

Society undervalues the importance of food/seeds. The average joe is content with a 10% beef taco from Taco Bell. As a matter of fact, most people I know cringe at the thought of even looking at a salad. These people, sad to say, will be the first to go because they won't be able to handle the abolishment of dollar menus and silly gimmicks.

$99 for a 2 acre garden is probably the best deal I've seen in a long time on seeds, will be ordering some very soon.
edit on 6-4-2011 by raiders247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
S+F Great post!

Society undervalues the importance of food/seeds. The average joe is content with a 10% beef taco from Taco Bell. As a matter of fact, most people I know cringe at the thought of even looking at a salad. These people, sad to say, will be the first to go because they won't be able to handle the abolishment of dollar menus and silly gimmicks.

$99 for a 2 acre garden is probably the best deal I've seen in a long time on seeds, will be ordering some very soon.
edit on 6-4-2011 by raiders247 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, that's just one pack. Check out the farm pack! $499

Here's what is in it:

Can't go wrong with this one. Lots to use and more for trade would be my approach.

I will suggest a little research as to what Country you are in and what the climate is for the seeds. Also, the wheat can't ship into Canada but is replaced with Flax. I am searching more on Canadian suppliers for this.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

A nice patch of hemp can supply all sorts of things.

www.hemp.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by jude11

A nice patch of hemp can supply all sorts of things.

www.hemp.com...

Oh that's fer sure! A lot of the seed vault mini sites offer hemp as well.

One thing I also suggest is tobacco. If you can grow it, it will be valuable as a bartering tool. It's a luxury and people that want it will pay dearly.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
potato's and onions, radishes, peppers, all will be part of the new trade/ money system you can have all the gold silver paper you want but what good is it when no one will want it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
potato's and onions, radishes, peppers, all will be part of the new trade/ money system you can have all the gold silver paper you want but what good is it when no one will want it.

All kinds of squash, zucchini etc. These things can be grown with almost no care and grow like weeds. You don't even need to separate them as they will grow in the same area. Melons, Pumpkins and the like.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i do not see what the point of gold or silver would be after the #storm kicks off so you have point on this.
as for that seedvault its at least nice to there is a back up plan for when monsanto complelty #s up

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Also good to remember that not all veggies and fruits grow at the same pace so for survival, things like carrots, radish, peas beans, will grow quicker. Tomatoes for example will take all summer if not started early inside.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I've thought about seed storage myself. Just remember the storage and viability of the seeds ,you'll have to be sure to test them after a couple of years to check germination rates, and also label them by year,store them properly,and replace them every few years. There is a guide I found here which can give you an idea.
infinitegardens.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Indeed. Seeds are cheap, easily stored and transported. I truly believe they will be part of the barter currency of the future. And yes you can't eat gold.
Plus a neighbour has land, I have seeds and another neighbour is fitter than both of us put together. Together we can be a team. These are the alliances of the future.
edit on 6-4-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICYOO2
I've thought about seed storage myself. Just remember the storage and viability of the seeds ,you'll have to be sure to test them after a couple of years to check germination rates, and also label them by year,store them properly,and replace them every few years. There is a guide I found here which can give you an idea.
infinitegardens.blogspot.com...

Yes, the seed site I suggested has them packed and good for 5-10 yrs storage. But always check make sure to harvest your own seeds. Not only will this help to guarantee your next year's growth but your second generation seed will be stronger. The third generation and so on...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
Indeed. Seeds are cheap, easily stored and transported. I truly believe they will be part of the barter currency of the future. And yes you can't eat gold.
Plus a neighbour has land, I have seeds and another neighbour is fitter than both of us put together. Together we can be a team. These are the alliances of the future.
edit on 6-4-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

This is the approach that will raise your chances of survival. Share Cropping is an idea that is making a huge comeback and will continue to take hold.

Trading seeds for tools, water, dry goods, fuel and even guns will take hold.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
dont just buy seeds. SCHOOL YOURSELF on growing methods, techniques, nutrients, growing mediums, hardiness zones, cultivation and propagation. You do not need seeds all the time when you know how to clone and cloning gels and powders are often very cheap. Hydroponics is the future of agriculture. If radiation were to be a REAL issue in the air then you arent planting anything outside. learn what to do if you have to do it indoors. Learn about lights and their varying spectrums and types. Fluorescent lights can grow many plants and you get even better results with halide and high pressure sodium. LED lights are even making a way in the gardening industry and then use little energy and do not burn as hot as traditional lights. learn what colors are absorbed by what plants. For instance...green light is not so if you need to keep a room dark but still work in it, green bulbs are the best choice. And THANK YOU for the hemp link. Hemp oil can power a diesel engine with no extra modification. Useful if you have a diesel generator in a SHTF situation.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

You're right of course. As an avid Hydro grower, I completely agree on acquiring this knowledge as well as knowing how to make the most out of a small outdoor space.

If we have no power however...

Knowing both styles is very valuable to anyone.

One of my favorite vids of a 1/10 acre producing 6000 lbs of food per year...in their yard in Sacramento! 3 TONS!

urbanhomestead.org...

edit on 6-4-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A few days ago I did a tour of a Bauxite Mine here in Western Australia and the tour guide actually said that seeds were more valuable than gold by a fair margin. That the company recovered the seeds from the top soil to use in the rehab stage of the Forrest because it simply could not afford to actually buy the seeds to replant all the Jarrah, Marri, Gum and Eucalyptus trees.

Interesting thought I had was why then are they digging up Bauxite which is one of the most abundant minerals around the world and not somehow harvesting the seeds of the very trees they are destroying ?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
A few days ago I did a tour of a Bauxite Mine here in Western Australia and the tour guide actually said that seeds were more valuable than gold by a fair margin. That the company recovered the seeds from the top soil to use in the rehab stage of the Forrest because it simply could not afford to actually buy the seeds to replant all the Jarrah, Marri, Gum and Eucalyptus trees.

Interesting thought I had was why then are they digging up Bauxite which is one of the most abundant minerals around the world and not somehow harvesting the seeds of the very trees they are destroying ?

hmmm...

Sounds like a business opportunity waiting.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I love those vids. I have a decent sized backyard that will be strictly for food production this year. I just recently got my cool weather veggies (beets, spinach, kale and lavender) in the ground as well as started a bunch of things indoors so that they can go in after the last frost. this year I will be experimenting with hanging pots for my tomato plants. I am thinking of rigging up a sort of makeshift gallows to hang a bunch of different pots on.

I checked out that seed vault site and within moments I had a pen and paper in hand. One thing people forget about is medicinal herbs and botanicals. I am already a fan but I am always on the lookout for more. I dont like shoving pills down my kids throats (or my own) if I dont have to.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus
reply to post by jude11

I love those vids. I have a decent sized backyard that will be strictly for food production this year. I just recently got my cool weather veggies (beets, spinach, kale and lavender) in the ground as well as started a bunch of things indoors so that they can go in after the last frost. this year I will be experimenting with hanging pots for my tomato plants. I am thinking of rigging up a sort of makeshift gallows to hang a bunch of different pots on.

I checked out that seed vault site and within moments I had a pen and paper in hand. One thing people forget about is medicinal herbs and botanicals. I am already a fan but I am always on the lookout for more. I dont like shoving pills down my kids throats (or my own) if I dont have to.

Yeah, that site has a lot of medicinal seeds that will be invaluable in years to come.

Also good for those that want a few cows, chickens and pigs etc is the animal pack.

There are a few other sites out there that are quite good in selling the seed vault packs as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Don;t buy a big seed pack - odds are there are varieties that won't do well in your area or plot or you won't like them.
Buy plants that do well in your zones and soil, that are easy to care for and will store well.
For example, Broccoli is good but only produces for a few months and can only be stored by freezing. Poor choice if you don;t have a big freezer or you have no power.
Corn on the other hand can be frozen, canned or dried and can be companion planted with beans and squash, each plant helping support the other.

Your life may depend on your choices is all I'm saying.
No biggie, right?

<<   2 >>

join