It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great ATS Job Hunt UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Soon I will be out of work as my contract is finished..

So, in a few weeks I will be looking for a new job.

As my Mental Health Nurse course does not start for a few months, I have decided to take a leaf out of our great ancestors book and go "hunting" (for work).

I will be leaving my family at home, packing a tent and all my outdoors stuff, then set off on the hunt probably down south for a few months.

Im actually quite looking forward to it.. I love the outdoors.. And if I have problems scoring some work then there is plenty to live off on the land.. And after a long day at work, I will get to chill out with a beer under the stars.. Meet weird and whacky people, and in general, have an adventure..

Any money I earn shall be sent home, minus a few essentials (beer), but I intend to live for free as much as I can..

I cant wait!! (No missus and kids for a bit :lol

So.. If any of you guys have any leads for the South West then let me know.. Or if you want to join the adventure too, the more the merrier.. May just start a movement

edit on 6-4-2011 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

i am in
last time i tried i failed big time , i could use more practice big time

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Muslims in the woods ?

Maršalla du šüga, dottaghiy?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 23432

no idea what you just said exsept for the Mashallah part but inshallah you can enlighten me ?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
head to London i here there is cash in hand bricking work going for £150, sterling a day, including digs,
And good luck matey take a maglite as a baton "just incase". Also a windup torch and mobile charger, and don't forget a poncho with bungees,

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 23432

: How are you friend? Maršalla du šüga, dottaghiy, Is that correct 23432,
2nd line ATS aware,

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephi1337
reply to post by 23432

no idea what you just said exsept for the Mashallah part but inshallah you can enlighten me ?

I thought you were a Vainakh and gave you a standard greeting in Chechen language .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Good luck on your adventure! Also good luck with the mental health course!

Do you not qualify to get on the NHS banking system? You could get some real hands on experience before starting your course, which would put you in a great position.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
reply to post by 23432

: How are you friend? Maršalla du šüga, dottaghiy, Is that correct 23432,
2nd line ATS aware,

Correcto mundo .

Si Sighosh , vui pşedgij fıue .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

sounds good you got a number? lol

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I did a similar thing in the early 80's.
Thatcher's policies had devestated the North East, there wasn't any work anywhere so me and two mates set off for East Anglia.
We had some great laughs and met some very nice people, and some not so nice people as well.

I admire your attitude and approach and wish you luck with your search.
I wish I could join you but I fear that at 45 years old I may be too old for such adventures and am ashamed to admit that I probably enjoy my creature comforts too much nowadays.

My one cautionary piece of advice, all though knowing what little I do about your background from your postings to be certain that you are wordly wise enough to be able to look after yourself, is to say be aware at all times and never let your guard down; there are lots of unprincipled and devious people out there.

But there are also plenty of good people and I'm sure you'll have as good a time as I did, to be honest I am slightly jealous.
I'll raise a glass and wish you good luck and hope you keep us posted whenever possible.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

I did a similar thing in the early 80's.
Thatcher's policies had devestated the North East, there wasn't any work anywhere so me and two mates set off for East Anglia.
We had some great laughs and met some very nice people, and some not so nice people as well.

I admire your attitude and approach and wish you luck with your search.
I wish I could join you but I fear that at 45 years old I may be too old for such adventures and am ashamed to admit that I probably enjoy my creature comforts too much nowadays.

My one cautionary piece of advice, all though knowing what little I do about your background from your postings to be certain that you are wordly wise enough to be able to look after yourself, is to say be aware at all times and never let your guard down; there are lots of unprincipled and devious people out there.

But there are also plenty of good people and I'm sure you'll have as good a time as I did, to be honest I am slightly jealous.
I'll raise a glass and wish you good luck and hope you keep us posted whenever possible.

Cheers!

45? Old?

Im 37, an old soldier who can take good care of myself... But I take on board what you said... And I will be raising a glass to you too under the stars..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nakiannunaki

Yeah U2U me if you are interested.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
head to London i here there is cash in hand bricking work going for £150, sterling a day, including digs,
And good luck matey take a maglite as a baton "just incase". Also a windup torch and mobile charger, and don't forget a poncho with bungees,

Thanks for that! Will look into it

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I've spent five months outdoors last year, and seven the year before. I came in early December from the cold, but even up to the time was enjoying the refreshing cool of the nights. I picked up an eleven foot pentagonal tent for under a hundred, and lined the ground with quartered sheets of plywood I'd hiked out two summers ago. This tent was an open netting with a fly - a perfect tent for summer as it impeded no views. Just you and your friends, the woods & sun, and the bug-dome lol I had a cache for food, and a bike for town travel, but still managed to forage for salads and nutrition. Good times ahead for you!

A tarp, or two small tarps anchored together will be good investments. Most tents can only take a few days of rain before seeping the damp in. My "storm tarps" kept off the worst storms that carried on right into the woods. Watch for snags, the lean of old trees, and widow-makers wherever you go.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Head for Torquay and sell some hotdogs by the sea .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

That sounds awesome..

love Torquay..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

A tarp, or two small tarps anchored together will be good investments. Most tents can only take a few days of rain before seeping the damp in. My "storm tarps" kept off the worst storms that carried on right into the woods. Watch for snags, the lean of old trees, and widow-makers wherever you go.

Yeah... I was thinking of putting TX-10 on my tent and taking some tarps too.. Cheers

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Originally posted by 23432

That sounds awesome..

love Torquay..

I like it down there too . I remember going to there for my honeymoon for the first time back in '89 .

I wish I could drop out for a while too .

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Im in the south east (Norfolk broads) . There is always casual work here in the summer, pubs, boat hire firms, fruit picking farms and holiday companies hire for the season. Most pay cash.

If its weird and wacky people you are seeking, we have many small festivals (ie non commercial) full of interesting people . Festival organisers always need crew - setting up and tearing down,crew catering, security and keeping the site clean. Most dont pay, but you get three good meals and good company.

I know a few places where friends would let you camp for free.

Good luck with your journey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join