It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Getting Mysteriously Windier

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I've only noticed this this last week or so, very very windy around here (Ohio) and it SOUNDS different too, lower and more rumbling. You can also hear it coming from a long ways off. It's no more light whistling through the trees it now comes roaring over the land with a vengeance.

It stopped for a few hours last night then I went to bed and around 4am I woke abruptly fro the low dull roar of the wind again. Strange and spooky but still magnificently cool.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
In Louisiana, it has been like a freakin tropical storm all week....strong winds with larger gusts in between...I woke up this morning to find all my heavy trees (in planters ) knocked over and they are heavy. We have huge pine trees on our property, and they are swaying. It takes a lot to make them sway.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I've been noticing this for the last few months.

It's clearly getting windier and stormier. There is clearly a global destabilization occuring.

We only have to look at this tornado outbreak for proof.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
shock wave comming. Space shock wave. The amount of tornadic activity has already reached a level of record high and it is only the end of april. You thought katrina, haiti, fukashima was bad, guess again. After 2 weeks it will only get worse, ALOT WORSE. prepare.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
shock wave comming. Space shock wave. The amount of tornadic activity has already reached a level of record high and it is only the end of april. You thought katrina, haiti, fukashima was bad, guess again. After 2 weeks it will only get worse, ALOT WORSE. prepare.

ok, SERIOUSLY? Either start actually contributing to threads (I have gone through your most recent posts) and they ALL pretty much have the exact same things written in them, or i'll alert the mods to spamming.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

And here is a second study- affirming the same thing.

Studies of climate change typically consider measurements or predictions of temperature over extended periods of time. Climate, however, is much more than temperature. Over the oceans, changes in wind speed and the surface gravity waves generated by such winds play an important role. We used a 23-year database of calibrated and validated satellite altimeter measurements to investigate global changes in oceanic wind speed and wave height over this period. We find a general global trend of increasing values of wind speed and, to a lesser degree, wave height, over this period. The rate of increase is greater for extreme events compared to the mean condition.

www.sciencemag.org...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

ok, SERIOUSLY? Either start actually contributing to threads (I have gone through your most recent posts) and they ALL pretty much have the exact same things written in them, or i'll alert the mods to spamming.

Dude, bkaust, do you have any idea how that looks to anyone thinking about joining the ATS?
I would think "Oh, ok this forum is filled and run by a bunch of Nazis." and would head elsewhere.
Cloaked only joined 31 March, he isn't being paid to be here (although the content provided by all of us is what pays the bills for the owners) and you don't need to be such a snot to new members- no matter what their focus of interest; whether that focus is narrow or not is not your business.

In actuality, people with a narrow focus are more studied on certain subjects and can provide more enlightenment in those areas of interest than someone who is all over the place, so don't knock it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
On the morning of the A.27 SuperCell outbreak I posted a warning thread for any ATS members in the zone. A bit down in the thread someone questioned the reasoning behind such strong storms- and I posted this:

About the stronger storms. This is something that has been theorized for a while now - and something I have believed would happen as well. It's 3rd grade science at it's root. The main problem is that the Pacific waters are warmer- which moves the Jet Stream into a new track -higher latitudes in the northwest and then this odd dipping loop into the center of the country. This is pulling down colder air than normal from the upper atmosphere. At the same time the Gulf area is warmer and the Jet Stream is creating low pressure systems which act like a 'vacuum' - sucking the warmer very moist Gulf air into collision course with the cold air over a large area. Basically it is a result of warmer ocean waters overall. But this pattern is now in place - possibly for the rest of the season.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I should have said: "the rest of the decade- or longer."

I have been watching the Jet Stream for over 10 years after studying IPCC warming models in the 1990's. These models theorized back then exactly what we are seeing now. These studies are why I study meteorology, have a weather station that feeds into the national database and belong to the same chase forum that Discoveries Reed Timmer does.

In 2006 another follow up study by IPCC was released that has reinforced the early model. Here are clips and a decent link to explain it:

Local Winds: Global warming is likely to have an impact on local scale winds as well. Using regional climate models, geoscientists have shown that as land/sea temperature contrasts increase in the future, strengthening of land/sea breezes is expected to occur. Results show an increase of 2 meters per second increase, a substantial impact given the current 5 meter per second average wind speed along the west coast of the United States. Strengthening onshore winds could enhance upwelling of nutrient-rich coastal waters, but the risk of wind-whipped wild fires increases as well.

and

Figure 6.25 Forecasted Changes in winter (top) and summer (bottom) air pressure. Courtesy IPCC.
The location of jet streams are strongly tied to horizontal temperature gradients. If these temperature gradients change as a result of global warming, we should expect jet streams and the storms that track along them to shift as well. Recent research seems to indicate that this is occurring.

A 2008 research report from the Carnegie Institution’s Department of Global Ecology examined jet stream conditions in both northern and southern hemispheres over a 23-year period from 1979 to 2001. They found that jet streams in both hemispheres have risen in altitude and shifted toward the poles. ... These changes fit predictions from global warming climate models and have drastic implications for the frequency and intensity of storms systems and patterns of precipitation that will reverberate through the earth system.

Link to both quoted paragraphs above: www.uwsp.edu...

And for anyone wanting to post "But we have had storms in the 1970's! (or whatever)":
We have had more destructive weather events over the past 5 years than any time in recorded history and we are more than halfway to reaching the largest number of tornadoes in a single season- including more tornadoes than any April in recorded history. The same Jet Stream pattern that caused the A27 Outbreak is also responsible for the tons of snow currently feeding the spring floods from earlier this winter.

If you doubt me- check with Munich Re - the worlds largest re-insurer.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I noticed this phenomenon a few years back when i realised the winter winds had more power than it did during my childhood from walking my son to school on the same route i used to take. It was noticed too by the Canadian weather media and they concluded that the North American air stream had changed.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
When I drove from MN to AZ this month it was as if the wind was following me and fighting me every inch of the way. I get to AZ and the wind is still with me! I was wondering if its just a windy year or if the wind is increasing. Now I lean toward the latter.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I don't know about the shock wave, I have read something about a galactic wave, I take it with a grain of salt, and hope that it won't happen, or doesn't affect us.

I do wonder sometimes though, if we go through portions of space that affect our weather somehow. I know that our atmosphere is our protection, but there might someday be something that it cannot fully protect us from.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I guess some would call it syncronicity.

Just the other day I commented on the wind. Specifically, there seemed to be less days no significant wind. And when it a windy day, its usually really windy.

I've also had visions of how our archetecture will change due to the increasing winds. Even thought about it as a subject for a book, how humanity had to deal with a new paradigm. Crops destroyed, large numbers of refugees. I was thinking of the winds on the other planets in our solar system, and how we are so lucky to have moderate winds.

The increased winds can be thought of as increase in the amount of potential energy in the atmosphere. Storms release this potential energy, so an increase in energy stored brings an increase to energy release.

Looks like a HOT cruel summer.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Its all the politicians and spin doctors flapping their jaws at high speed. This causes hot air to enter the atmosphere at high velocity, which then travels around the globe causing the noted phenomenon.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Stratus9

Interesting to see how model predictions are being paralleled by current climate data.

Do you think the Sun coming aound to solar maximum will have any affect on the Jet stream average speeds? I feel as though there will be more energy absorbed from the Sun's increase in activity, not drastic, but maybe enough to push over an 'edge'.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by undiscoveredsoul

Synchronicity again.

I called my family outside the other day (Texas) to hear the wind moan. A low, deep moan. Reminded me of when a hurricane blew through. Sounded like the winds abve our heads was going 100 mph, like the day of the hurricane. But it was partly cloudy, just that wind....

.... what have we done to our mother.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have not read through the entire thread, but I completely agree it is definitely windier here in Alabama. It is driving me crazy!!!! I have to keep cleaning up the yard over and over. It is breaking branches off the trees with perfectly fresh leaves on them. I have also heard that this may be why my humming birds have not returned yet?? That the wind has them confused and off course?? I normally have them return in March and I have not seen one yet!! It is also making it a lot cooler here than it should be and it is because of all this wind!!!! Totally Ridiculous!! Rant over!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Its been bloody windy here in alberta for the last week. The slave lake firefighters had to battle some 22000 hectares of forest fire in 100 km/h winds a few days ago. I never remember it being this windy so frequently A decade ago in alberta

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Everywhere has periods that are windier than normal. It's called weather. Been going on for the past 4,600,000,000 years or so.

The study is about average wind speeds over a long period of time. Not the fact that last Sunday was the windiest in your backyard for several months

For the record, my observations suggest it's become a lot less windy in England in recent years.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

When we are talking about balance in the ecosystem, 5%-10% is little different than 20% or 30%.

Think of a scale in balance. Just 1% sending the scale plummetting on the heavier side, fully out of whack.

Think of the ocean levels; a 5% rise would likely make a massive number of the world's major cities (most of which on on the coast) look like Venice.

Think of DNA. Man's DNA is less that one percent different from that of a chimpanzee.

Ergo, 5% is huge.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Arizona here. I don't remember the last day the wind wasn't blowing. I hadn't even thought about it until now.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join