It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Libya's main export was broccoli you think we would be there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
These are the latest interviews with Gerald Celente. After the attack on Libya, I was curious to hear his insights. He has a knack for leading by example inasmuch as we should look at the world with our eyes wide open.

With Brian Sussman in San Francisco, KSFO:

and with The Regular Guys in Atlanta, WNNX (Link to Gerald Celente Blog)

I always get a giggle when Mr. Celente utilizes the broccoli metaphor...

He is extremely candid and seems to be the voice of the proverbial silent majority. He probably does not get a lot of the media exposure he is due because he is relentlessly correct in identifying the imperfection and corruption in "the system". This actually means I wonder how long it will be until he is discredited or something? Yet regardless of the numbers of horses he can lead to the water he cannot make them drink it.

For giggles, I did a search on ATS just by entering his name. One of the underlying themes in his advice and forecasting is how screwed up the government is. Here are just a few of the ATS links:

1 Celente on ATS
2 Celente on ATS
3 Celente on ATS

There are a few more, but not a lot of replies or flags. I think his arguments and forecasts are valid and sound, but that's just me.

Peace

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Only if our cars were broccoli powered hehehe.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kaoticf8

Ironically, broccoli gives me gas.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
With all the raging vegetarians in this country?
I bet we would be.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnD

Perhaps too, if they had not tried to nationalise their oil, thereby disallowing the big oil companies access to it, they would not have been seen as the threat they are now.

If you want a really good giggle, look up what specific countries have tried to nationalise their oil (or other valuable assets) in the recent past...funny how they all seem to be enemies to the West afterwards...

link   
reply to post by JohnD

Celente's a smart guy. and I love his accent. it's always good to hear his take on world events, even if he is a bit of a cynic. I especially like his views on the "white shoe boys" and the banking elite.
Also, great signature. Tolstoy was pretty bright too!
I think it's quite obvious that this is a "rebranding" of the old colonial powers into something far more covert and dishonest. At first, they just carved up the mideast after The Great War and handed out pieces to the various victorious world powers. Outright colonial occupation was met with public disdain, and so eventually faded into stewardship, colonial powers were still in charge, but the natives had final say. This still wasn't good enough, so the people were "freed," though close economic ties with former host nations were upheld. Now we have a Western Alliance of liberators, freeing the people from brutal oppression (which the same western powers installed in the first place), but the system remains the same as at the dawn of the 20th century. The western superpowers are still carving up the mideast and reaping the benefits of their land and resources while the people suffer.
edit on 5-4-2011 by RicoMarston because: (no reason given)

link   
Sorry #1: Where I am at present, I cannot access the video you posted.

Sorry #2: The intervention in Libya has nothing to do with oil. Ghaddafi and his regime have been an enemy of the West for decades...and in fact in recent years he has tried to makes amends and reach out to the West. He has continued to trade his oil...so no need to gain "control" of it.

The intervention came as a result of his actions to mow down large numbers of his citizens, when they demonstrated and demanded change. The UN, led by the Arab League, asked for the West to help.

I am doubting that the Arab League wanted this action so that the West could take control of some of their oil reserves.

Tired, anti-American, arguments make me tired...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

oh, so Obama fixed everything? great, I was worried. Have you ever studied the history of western interaction with the middle east? it's never been nice. It's pretty far out, even for a conspiracy theory site, to suggest that all is as it seems in the Libya conflict. Where's your proof that a massacre was to take place? the fact that Obama said it in a speech? that proves nothing, he also said he'd close gitmo. If the motives behind the NFZ are really altruistic, then why is Libya the only country we have occupied? Why aren't we deployed all over the mideast? In Egypt? Ivory Coast? Jordan? Syria? Where was Obama during Rwanda and Darfur? Where were YOU, for that matter, since you seem to love American interventionism, adventurism, imperialism and world domination. once again, if you've got any evidence refuting the OP's claims, bring it. but pointing to MSM cable news pieces and Presidential addresses really doesn't go very far here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Not only is there oil there, there is also water! Libya has a man made river that flows from a fossil aqua duct and was on its way to self sufficiency. People had running water for the first time in their lives and were able to grow things in the arid desert. But that is not possible, say Europe. Are the regime changes needed to implement this plan?

The EU has plans to build solar panels throughout the deserts of North Africa to power European Countries. This snippet is from the guardian in 2008

Speaking at the Euroscience Open Forum in Barcelona, Arnulf Jaeger-Waldau of the European commission's Institute for Energy, said it would require the capture of just 0.3% of the light falling on the Sahara and Middle East deserts to meet all of Europe's energy needs. The scientists are calling for the creation of a series of huge solar farms - producing electricity either through photovoltaic cells, or by concentrating the sun's heat to boil water and drive turbines - as part of a plan to share Europe's renewable energy resources across the continent. A new supergrid, transmitting electricity along high voltage direct current cables would allow countries such as the UK and Denmark ultimately to export wind energy at times of surplus supply, as well as import from other green sources such as geothermal power in Iceland.

In 2009 it was reported as $550 billion solar farm in the Sahara, notice the big boys involved.

Last week came word that a number of German industrial and financial giants, including Siemens (SI) and Deutsche Bank (DB), are planning a massive solar farm to be built in the North African desert. The farm would supply roughly 15 percent of Europe's power requirements. Power would flow through cables under the Mediterranean and into the European grid.

While political instability could be a concern, a number of North African nations, including Tunisia, appear to be interested. And the economic benefits of the plants could prove a much more powerful benefit to North Africa than the oil wealth of the Middle East to the South. In theory, the plants would not only provide power to Europe but would also provide hundreds of thousands of new green jobs in Africa and Europe. Another key goal is to use the power to run massive desalination plants, addressing a key need of the region and potential allowing for a significant expansion of power in North Africa.

www.dailyfinance.com...

The company's name is Destertec. Who are Destertec?

Jeworrek declined to list all 20 members of the new funding group, but said the German Economy Ministry and the Club of Rome, a non-governmental organization based in Zürich, were also involved.

www.spiegel.de...

This is good.

SPIEGEL: Critics have complained that the governments of the many African nations where the project is being developed have not been consulted. Löscher: Such oases of energy are a huge opportunity for Africa -- and for every other region with enough sunshine hours. When capital, competence and resources from several different countries come together, it is advantageous for all those taking part. Besides, representatives from Arab states and from Africa are substantially involved.

www.spiegel.de...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

the arab league didn't ask for this either. they supported it. in order to do so, they had to be convinced by the int'l community, the people who already decided they wanted to go in to Libya, to allow themselves to be "saved." Do you really think that after the smashing successes of Iraq and Afghanistan, the mideast is clamoring for more military intervention? So, are we supposed to rush to the aid of any group less powerful than their government when they start getting shot at? I'm sure the gangs of L.A. would love U.N. air support against the LAPD. Should we just help them out since it looks, from an outside perspective, like the gangs are freedom fighters and the police tyrants?
Qadaffi has been an enemy of the west? who trades oil with us? your argument is so full of holes I'm surprised your computer hasn't shorted out from the seawater. Did you support the Iraq invasion? Were you on here posting saying "we know for a fact that Saddam has WMDs, guys! everybody chill out!" Were you on here telling people "Al-Qaeda is for sure behind 9-11 and they live in Afghanistan! I have their address! Let's get em!"
tired liberal butt kissing makes me tired...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

you neglect to mention the part about the west staging those "demonstrations".

besides, if mowing down citizens was the only pre-requisite to a UN/NATO invasion then where the hell were they during waco?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hmmm... well lets look at history and current events.

Ivory Coast - 1000's currently getting killed. Their main export is coco and coffee. Are we there? No.

Rwanda - genocide in the 90's. Main export coffee and tea. Were we there? No.

Burma - another genocide. Main export is officially natural gas but its really opium. Were we there? No.

So my guess is "No".

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
YES!!!
*shakes fist*
I hate broccoli!!!

Curseyou Mewmar! And your evil broccoli!

Of course, if it were olives I'd be recommending nukes.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Libya supplies about 2% of the world's oil supply, with most of it going to Europe. As soon as that oil supply was put in question, oil prices jumped up from $95/barrel to now about $110/barrel.

I figure some beancounters went to President Obama, and told him it was cheaper for the US to spend a few billion dollars on bombing Libya and getting control of the oil back into western hands than to have an economic uncertainty over oil that could cost hundreds of billions....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
Sorry #2: The intervention in Libya has nothing to do with oil. Ghaddafi and his regime have been an enemy of the West for decades...and in fact in recent years he has tried to makes amends and reach out to the West. He has continued to trade his oil...so no need to gain "control" of it.

The intervention came as a result of his actions to mow down large numbers of his citizens, when they demonstrated and demanded change. The UN, led by the Arab League, asked for the West to help.

That is very inaccurate. This was entirely about oil. The West didn't give two flip until Gadhafi started threatening to disrupt the flow of oil out of Libya.
Feb. 23: dailyreckoning.com...

“Gaddafi has ordered security services to start sabotaging oil facilities,” a source close to the regime tells Time intelligence columnist (and former CIA case officer) Robert Baer. “The sabotage, according to the insider, is meant to serve as a message to Libya’s rebellious tribes: It’s either me or chaos.”

March 10th: www.msnbc.msn.com...

But there was no concrete sign of Western moves toward military assistance — such as the no-fly zone that the rebels pleaded for as they retreated through the pancake-flat desert scrubland outside the port of Ras Lanouf, scanning the skies for government warplanes.

AND

It's an active port — peaceful, operational and completely rebel-held. Two tankers have already left this month, one to Italy two days ago, with $160 million in revenue flowing not to the Gadhafi government but instead to the opposition.

Later on March 10: www.pressandjournal.co.uk...

Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi destroyed an oil pipeline and storage plant yesterday as they pounded rebels with artillery and gunfire in at least two major cities

March 13: ethiomedia.com...

Smoke billowed from an oil storage facility near the refinery east of the town. Local officials brought to meet the media party said the retreating rebels had bombed it.

Also on March 13: (same link as above)

Moussa told a news conference after the Arab League meeting in Cairo talks: "The Arab League has officially requested the U.N. Security Council to impose a no-fly zone against any military action against the Libyan people."

(More on Arab League below)
March 15: www.reuters.com...

The eastern Libyan oil town of Brega was retaken on Tuesday by Muammar Gaddafi's forces

March 18: www.number10.gov.uk... s-62124
Now, as Gadafi is about to reclaim oil city Zueitina, the UN goes into BATTLE MODE.

*Arab League* A pseudo NWO puppet group which serves in much the same way as the other globalist "unions" such as the EO, AU, and NAU. Furthermore, look at their member states. The countries with the most sway, Egypt, Moroco, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Libya, Kuwait, and Qatar are all either highly sycophantic to the west, have recently experienced full blown west backed regime change, or are in the midst of civil wars involving western nation backed rebels... and they all have massive skin in the oil game. Nations like Somalia and Comoros have no oil and are left to twist in never ending civil unrest with no western assist or backing, but the Sudan discovers oil and suddenly we see western interference in the issue through an organization called the "Intergovernmental Authority on Development." The IGAD is a phantom arm of the United Nations, originally formed to assist in drought conditions... later morphing into an all powerfull entity with it's fingers in everything involving the member states (sound familliar? NAU, EU, AU,?) The IGAD negotiated a 6 year peace between the Sudanese government & the rebels in South Sudan (conveniently where almost all of the Sudan's oil is) which will end this year with Southern Sudan claiming it's independence from the Sudan and being recognized as its own entity within the UN. (incidentally, most violence which has taken place outside of Southern Sudan in the last 10 years has gone largely unresponded to by the UN and EU. This violence will get much, much worse when Southern Sudan gains independence because the vast majority of Sudanese exports and wealth are located there, ultimately leading to a totally impoverished North following seccession.)

Ultimately, Libya is about oil and Europe's stranglehold on it. Just as the war in Saudi Arabia will be, just like the war in Iran will be, and just like the lack of international action on the Ivory Coast and in Somalia is. No Oil = No international assistance in your fight for "democracy". (Their imaginary word, not mine.)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Hmmm... well lets look at history and current events.

Ivory Coast - 1000's currently getting killed. Their main export is coco and coffee. Are we there? No.

The UN is in the Ivory Coast.

And Gadaffi was happily supplying oil to the west

top topics

join