It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled water

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
One of the biggest scams in America!

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- Recently, I stopped by my neighborhood Exxon station to conduct a price test. A 20-ounce bottle of Aquafina water cost $1.57, including tax. A 20-ounce bottle of Pepsi also cost $1.57. Regular gas sold for $3.05 a gallon.

Yep - water costs the same as soda and three times as much as the gas.

Some brands like PepsiCo's Aquafina are made from filtered tap water.
More from Fortune
Google tries to reel in Android carriers, can't catch a break
Ben Franklin and the art of business development
Biz school rankings leave minorities behind
FORTUNE 500
Current Issue
Subscribe to Fortune
So critics are asking: Why drink bottled water?

After all, it's pricey. Packaging and shipping water consumes energy and contributes to global warming. Empty bottles add to litter and solid waste. And, as a rule, bottled water is no safer or healthier than the H2O that flows from municipal water systems.

What's more, blind taste tests, while wholly unscientific, often show that few people can distinguish between bottled and tap water.
money.cnn.com...

My question is why? Why would you contribute to this scam? There charging you for something that falls out of the sky! There is NO reason to buy bottled water, why couldn't you just get a water bottle and fill it up?www.discountmugs.com...

Think of how much money you would save and on what? water. What are they gonna charge us for next air?

Thats just from a financial stand point what about environmental?

Besides the sheer number of plastic bottles produced each year, the energy required to manufacture and transport these bottles to market severely drains limited fossil fuels. Bottled water companies, due to their unregulated use of valuable resources and their production of billions of plastic bottles have presented a significant strain on the environment.

www.allaboutwater.org...
The amount of sheer junk we have in this world is astounding. We even have it in space! On top of mountains! We have an island of it bigger than Texas in the pacific ocean.

Officially known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, until it can be taxed, U.S. officials will continue to ignore it. I heard of it once many years ago, but it apparently has been growing tenfold each decade since the 1950's, and now consists of 80% plastic

boingboing.net...

Plastic is 80% of it! Yet America continues to not only pay for bottled water, and trash the Earth at the same time! For something that can be accessed from your sink, a water fountain, etc. all for free, from an 80 cent reusable bottle! We are literally paying for something voluntarily that is free!

So congratulations to America for supporting an obvious corporate scam and trashing the Earth doing it.
They always seem to go hand and hand don't they?

I beg you to realize this corporate scam for what it is! Break free from cooperate commercials be they t.v., radio, doesn't matter. Break free form America's true enemy. Earths true enemy. Corporate greed.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
oh wow... us humans will be able to destroy this planet that has survived for around 4.54 billion years and we humans has been only here for 200,000 thousand years, wow.

who are the real enemy?
who really are they?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
True, I have no problem with water from the tap. But wasn't there some research from a couple years ago regarding high levels of flouride found in tap water? (Rumor has it to keep the public docile.)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DocWicked

Well I personally live in the country and have my own well, but a filter over your tap water may help if you live in the city.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
In most places it's illegal to fluoridate bottled water. (you never see anyone in power drinking tap water)
That's why I only drink it.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

And, as a rule, bottled water is no safer or healthier than the H2O that flows from municipal water systems.
Uhhh what?

link   
Some people can't drink their well water etc. One house I worked at, had to fill a huge tank every month with spring water, because something in the well water gives the owner's daughter an alergic reaction, can't even shower in it. Some people are just foolish though.

link   
reply to post by DocWicked

If TPTB want to keep the public docile thru flouride in the tap water, why would they allow bottled water to gain so much popularity? I mean, they control the corporations, wouldn't they just force the corporations to either stop bottling it or put flouride in it?

I think the only conspiracy here is that we pay for bottled water. I never thought I'd buy bottled water and then, all of a sudden I started buying it. I've since bought an aluminum bottle and fill it from the tap, saved a few bucks as well.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Most of us know it's a scam, BUT with that said, if the SHTF and our water supply is contaminated like with the recently suggested fracking and radiation contamination from the Japan nuclear events, it's just easier to buy bottled water for emergency purposes ATM. It's much more portable than a water barrel/drum if you have to move around for a bit and the plastic bottles are reuseable and recyclable after the fact AND it's sealed and has no expiration date and less likely to have contaminates at the moment.

Everyone suggests you have a 3-6 months supply of food and water, so even just buying 1 case of 24 bottles of water to "refill" just doesn't add up to a 3-6 month supply if water is scarce and/or contaminated. And right now, it's easy to come by. So although I am paying more than I probably should right now for water, if things get bad here, I will be glad I spent that money when my family has water.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

The reason we buy bottled water is because it is convenient. Same reason we buy fast food.
Not a good reason I know. Humans are lazy.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I bought a water filter last month.Something gross I notice in the filter is the buildup of some black substance (lead?)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I buy bottled water because it is convenient, and a healthier alternative to a bottle of soda.

But, I don't buy bottled water one bottle at a time. I buy it by the case, or in bulk, which brings the cost down to about $.21 per bottle.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

do you honestly think that water in your house has lead mixed within it? rlly?

i can't belive folks in this website

deny ignorace my ---

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

okay instead of to 0$? Ya okay water is better than soda but it's also free, so why pay for it?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

edit on 31-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy a new water purifier.

Anyway, your first mistake was going to gas station for a beverage. I buy 24 pks of water (no specific brand, just whichever is on sale for 2.99 and there is always one) 2.99/24 comes out to a little over .12 cents per bottle.

Only a smuck would pay 1.59 for something you get at a grocery store for .12 cents

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

Interesting. So what you're saying is that someone created a need and then created the product?

Tap water is bad/Tap water has flouride/Tap water is contaminated.

Bottled water is pure/Bottled water is convenient/Bottled water can be stored.

You should have 3-6 months of bottled water on hand in case of an emergency. If you don't, you will die.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Thats from a website, I didn't go and do that myself, I provided the link.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

3 -6 months? sheesh, I don't think I have the storage for that
I do try to keep at least a week's supply in the house though.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Because one day, I have a feeling, it won't be so free and will be EXTREMELY hard to come by and as precious as gold and silver. And I have a feeling, it's not too far off. Look at the cost of food right now. I also buy water in bulk which does save those that do a little more, but I would rather pay for it now, than not have any if there is ever an emergency of some sort and the shelves are empty. And it's also not a bad investment considering what most people haphazardly spend their money on (video games, fast food, movies, music, junk food). Water is a necessity, those things are not. PERIOD!! I pray that never happens but in the event that it does, you will probably wish you had taken some of this advice. Oh and by the way, your water is not free either. You or your parents pay a water bill every month and it's going up as well with each passing month. Sorry to burst your bubble.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join